Most underrated film

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Apr 9, 2003.

?

Most underated movie over the past couple of years

1. Wendigo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. If I die before I Wake

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Cherry Falls

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Deep in the Woods

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Sleepless

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Most underrated Horror film

What's the most underrated Horror Movie that has come out in the past couple of years.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2003
  2. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I call Deep in the Woods, I really enjoyed that one myself. Sleepless would be second, but the dubbing on the killer was absolutely terrible. Worst I've ever heard.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I enjoyed them all i just never hear anyone talking about If i die before i Wake so i thought i'd give it a boost.

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I voted for Deep In the Woods, I really liked that movie. I was surprised to find out everyone else seemed to hate it. I was like, "Why?"

Now Wendigo is a different matter. Just thinking of that movie makes me want to sue for damages. :sleepy:

5. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I haven't seen any of those. Is that a good or a bad thing?

6. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I've only seen Sleepless. and as far as it being an Argento film, I think its much overrated. In some ways I like Phantom better. I think Phantom had missed its mark, but had fine potential behind it.

7. scarychick

scarychick Guest

Um.. me neither! :nervous:

8. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I see you're from PA. Where at?

9. scarychick

scarychick Guest

Pittsburgh, born and raised. :glasses:

10. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Cool. I hate to spam this thread, but are you going to the Dawn of the Dead reunion next week?

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'm the lone Sleeples vote. Even Argento fans don't seem to like this one - which is just amazing to me.

My all time underrated film though is Stallones Get Carter. I simply cannot fathom why people hate it so.

12. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

From 2000-2002? I tend to go with Uzumaki. I cared about the characters, it had an exceptional sense of style, it made me feel a lot more connected to what was happening than either Pulse or Battle Royale. So, the ending really left me feeling like my seat had been kicked out from under me.

Granted, I know zilch about the manga. But I also don't care. That kind of attitude is so self-important, it's a joke. When it's from comic books or mythic / fantasy novellas or anime/manga, fankids get so damn possessive of a thing's roots and go on and on about how unformidable the adaptation is but that adaptation itself if it's a film can only be judged against the backdrop of film. (This policy is not the same when it comes to remakes of previous films- a remake needs to be extremely thoughtful toward and respectful of its source material.) I had a hell of a time with The Never-Ending Story crowd. Holy fart nuggets!

But, then, there's also Ernest Dickerson's Bones. Which, first and foremost, is a good horror film with a mostly black cast. More Pam Grier! (Never a bad thing.) It has roots in European horror, so it's extremely well cinematically versed in more ambitious concepts than the typical rip-off. I can count on more than one hand the amount of impressive scenes and moments. It's smart with sound design as well as style and imagery. (There's too much CGI, true. But only in select chunks.) It's actually about a serious real-world problem and microcosms most of the main story through that worldview, the way the best horror films tend to (having characters from the "other side of the tracks" falling victim to the plight of a minority population).

Hard to choose between the two.