Mother! (2017) review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Sep 19, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mother! (2017, Darren Aronofsky)

From the trailer for this film you night expect something more along the line of the cookie cutter horror films of the last 5 years like The Conjuring or Insidious. However considering the A-list cast and that it was written and directed by Aronofsky (Black Swan, The Wrestler) it would be unlikely to expect a generic film of that type. The surface premise shows a couple's relationship being tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their 'tranquil' existence. but of course this film is all about its subtext, allegories and symbolism and very little to do with its basic set up.

The film is a well crafted piece and also a suffocating one with most all the shots being close ups of the directors girlfriend and superstar actress Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook) or what she is looking at or many time a shot looking over her shoulder. Jennifer carries the film but she has a great dancing partner in Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men) and all the smaller roles do their jobs well. The rhythm of the film is a deliberate build into anxious claustrophobia then utter madness and is unlikely to be like anything else you have seen in the cinema recently.

The film reminds me a Luis Bunuel (The Exterminating Angel) film with its utter madness and reflections on religion and the world we live in among many other tangential topics. I can see this needing a few viewings to grasp everything Aronofsky was trying to say with this piece but I also can see re-watches going anywhere from enlightening to maddening, from appreciation to hating the film altogether. The film is so jam packed with ideas and is perhaps a half hour too long and may have benefited form some editing down or streamlining. It would be a hard one to recommend to anyone based on their tastes as their reaction to the film could go in any direction but all I can say is I enjoyed the experience and it gave a lot of food for thought and for anyone who does see it, whether they love or loathe it, they should at least find it interesting.

7/10

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Probably rank the 2017 "horror" films I've seen so far...
    Mother!
    Get Out
    Life
    Alien covenant
    The devils candy
    It.

I feel like I'm forgetting one...

This should never have been released in a wide fashion, it's not a mainstream film as it was marketed, it was destined to flop and get bad word of mouth. Should've had a small arthouse release and built onthat if warranted

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017