Mothra, Rifftrax Live! - In Theaters August 18th (and 23rd)

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by X-human, Jul 6, 2016.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Not welcomed with open armed in this forum perhaps, but there was a surprise announcement at the MST3k Reunion that air last Tuesday which caused the theater I was at the erupt with applause: Rifftrax Live is taking on the original Mothra!

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/rifftrax-live-mothra/more-info/details

I haven't been this psyched for a Rifftrax Live! since the first show of theirs I saw, Starship Troopers. I haven't seen a Kaiju movie in the theaters and to see it with Mike, Kevin and Bill riffing will be a real treat.

Now this may also may mean a couple of things:

For one, a Blu-ray of Mothra may not be that far down the line if they have a HD master being used by Rifftrax for theatrical distribution. In fact it may very well have been Sony's idea to offer Mothra up (much like Sony approached Twilight Time about next possible releases).

And this is still a Toho film, linked to their sacred cow Godzilla, which they flatly stated would never be allowed licensing again to MST3K for Godzilla Vs. the Sea Monster and Godzilla Vs. Megalon. While it's true this is Sony, and not Toho directly, it's still a Japanese firm I believe would tread very lightly with this franchise. It may be possible Toho has decided to loosen the reigns and allow the older films to be released by Shout Factory (possibly because Rifftrax's already tackeled GINO anyways). We may see the impossible and have these two films in MST3k boxsets, still likely in a few years time (Kraken and Media Blasters still have Blu-ray rights).

othervoice1 likes this.
  2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Thanks- looks like they will a showing at a theatre near me so I may try to check this out

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Looks fun !

4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Would love a Blu of Mothra though.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I never understood the praise for the first Mothra. I found it to be rather dull and I can usually find the best in every Japanese film. Even the Asian twin girls are underwhelming! That's a feat in and of itself. But seeing it again in a packed lighthearted theater might just change my mind.

Plus I don't feel Rifftrax can be limited to the worst of the worst. Their riffs of The Dark Knight, The Wizard of Oz and even Casablanca are in fact some of their best work. And if the MST3k episodes of Godzilla and Gamera are any way to judge, this should be a knock out of the park.

Harry Warden likes this.
  6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I loooooooooooooooooooooove Mothra, easily my favorite kaiju movie. But c'mon, it's pretty damn goofy. I'll go see this.

othervoice1 likes this.
  7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

8. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the original Mothra is one of the weakest Toho entires, but that's not to say I don't like it. I do, just not as much as others. Honestly, Mothra in general is pretty lame. I never cared for Mothra as a kaiju. I love how Godzilla lost in 64 by being wrapped up in silk, but other than that, just not a huge fan of Mothra in either stage.

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed the song that the twin fairies sang to help awaken Mothra. If a blu is released it's a definite buy. As for MST making fun of it I have zero interest.