Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King TV Series

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Jul 14, 2017.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Coming August 9th 2017

On the Audience Channel.

“From Executive Producers Stephen King, David E. Kelley and Jack Bender comes the story of a demented serial killer who taunts a retired police detective with a series of lurid letters and emails. This forces the ex-cop to undertake a private, and potentially felonious, crusade to bring the killer to justice before he can strike again.”

Looks good, I would definitely watch it ............... If I had that channel :(

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

One of my least favorite King novels. I will pass.

3. Dave

Dave Pimp

My brother swears by the novels. I couldn't get pass the first one. I will checkout the show to see if it's any good.

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

You have Direct TV or AT&T Uverse ?

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Keeping my expectations as low as possible.
    Been burned on too many new horror/thriller shows.

6. sinister

sinister Active Member

Still got a couple of episodes to watch but this is so fucking good. :) Great dialogue, casting. characters, acting, directing and music + just the right amount of sleaze and violence and laughs make this a 9/10 for me and the best series I've seen in a long time. OK, some of the computer stuff is a little silly, but I've seen much worse so it's not too hard to overlook when everything else comes together so well.

After The Mist and Under the Dome I was reluctant to watch another King adaption but so glad I took a chance on this one.

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Is this on any streaming or rental services?

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, I heard about this a while ago but could never figure out how / where to watch the damn thing. Never heard of the Audience Channel.

9. CPT HOOK

I watched the first five episodes. So far it's SLOOOOOW... but in a really good way. King is somewhat known for his lengthy exposition, and this is basically that in cinematic form. Even though not a lot of ground has been covered in five episodes, I've still found it all rather engrossing and fun. Although we don't need to follow Brendan Gleeson every time he goes to the bathroom. I feel like maybe he has a UTI or something in the book, and that is their way of conveying that?

I really love Holland Taylor in this, and the chemistry between her and Gleeson is fantastic. However I did get a little bored when Mary Louise Parker entered the picture. The whole cast is pretty great though.

My biggest peeve is that the show is set in Ohio, yet there are palm trees. I don't know why, but this always bugs me. I don't think people in Hollywood have ever been to the midwest. It's filmed in Charleston, same place they filmed the new Halloween, so I imagine that will be an issue there as well. Amityville: The Awakening and Ash Vs Evil Dead (specifically the militia episode) also have this problem.

Palm trees aside, yeah, really enjoying this. Definitely recommended if you're okay with SLOW. Thanks sinister!

10. CPT HOOK

Finished the series last night. Overall, I thought it was really good. It may have worked better at six episodes instead of ten, or even as a four hour miniseries over two nights like they used to do in the '90s. There wasn't enough here to fill the time they had, and it could have easily been tightened.

Season two is coming August 22nd, and I'm wondering where they will go with it. The first season was pretty self-contained, everyone has closure, and there's really nowhere left to go. I never read the book, but I would assume the first season is the entire book, beginning middle and end.

11. CPT HOOK

Season two premieres tonight at 10PM.

Also, looks like Sony released the first season on DVD last week (no blu-ray).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

sinister likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

Season two is officially at the half-way point.

I'm still enjoying the characters, but I'm not sure how I feel about the sci-fi mind control aspect of season two. It's definitely not as good as season one. Also, the slow pace works for the show, but looking at season two so far, it hasn't really gone anywhere. It's more of a where-are-they-now with the characters in the wake of season one. Fortunately, the characters are great, so i can't say I'm bored.