Must-own Blus

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Fistfuck, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I'd like to start a list of discs that are universally, or close as close to it, considered to be the best discs available. As I've gotten older and have moved away from blind buys and collecting for the sake of collecting, I've become more selective on which films I purchase. Now that I have Blu Ray, I'm interested in owning the best of what's available. Please keep in mind, I'm looking for objective opinions based on the technical aspects and bonus features. I think that anyone can nominate a film, and maybe let's take two or three supporting votes to confirm it. Perhaps the mods can make this a sticky.

The only Blu I've experienced as a must-own so far is Criterion's The Thin Red Line.

Must-own Discs:
    -The Dark Knight
    -The Shining
    -Blade Runner
    -The Road Warrior
    Friday the 13th Part II

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    The Dark Knight is one of the Best Blu-Rays I've ever seen. I also loved the discs of Vampire Circus, Hardware and Night of the Creeps, not only for their transfers but for the wealth of special features.

3. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Bladerunner: 5 Disc Complete Collector's Edition
    Videodrome
    Psycho
    Life: BBC Series (Narrated by David Attenborough) Avoid the Oprah version!

Those blus have impressed me the most so far from my collection.

4. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Right now, I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but I do own one Blu-Ray: Evil Dead

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Dark Knight does look great, I just wish there was option to stay 2.35 the whole film. It's distracting when it changes ratios to 1.78 and is teh only flaw I can find with it.

Galaxy of Terror. If you like sleezy cheesy sci-fi this is as good as it gets, and the BD looks better than you think possible if you grew up with TV and VHS prints of this. Even that Itailin dvd is shit in comparison.

New York Ripper. Looks like new movie, another amazing rerstoration, approx. 100,000 times better than the Anchor Bay dvd.

Wolfman remake. Reference quality A/V if you like the film. I like it more each time I see it, like new school Hammer with the errie sets and gothic setting. Caught the Bd from library a couple weeks ago and was picking up my jaw the whole time, then ordered a few days later for Black Friday.

Se7en. it's as close to film as I've probably seen yet. Reference quality and show-off your system disc for sure.

Honorable mentions to non-horror titles American Gangster (looked 3d, those scenes in the streets with the snow falling were wow moments) and Gangs of New York (find the remastered one that says '2010 Blu Ray release' in bottom right corner on back, from online reviews the first BD were worse than shit but this remaster is stunning).

6. Fistfuck

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

I'll third Dark Knight and add it to a list at the top.

Also, it doesn't have to be horror. Just the best discs in general.

7. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I would second the Bladerunner: 5 Disc Complete Collector's Edition.

8. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

The Shining is a great looking Blu. I saw this when it first played in theaters, and I must say the Blu Ray was a revelation. The disc has some great special features as well. Others I have enjoyed are The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, City Of The Living Dead, Galaxy Of Terror, Piranha, Dead and Buried, and last but not least The Night Of The Werewolf / Vengeance Of The Zombies 2 disc set.

9. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Agreed, this one really shines in High-Def. Why was an Oprah version released in the first place? Do they really believe audiences will be turned off listening to David Attenborough narrate? I have a feeling there will be several thousand Oprah Life discs filling landfills across the US in the next few years.

Some Blu-rays in my collection that really impressed the pants off me include...

District 9
    Stunning!

Rush - Snakes & Arrows Live
    The concert Blu-ray that sets the benchmark for concert Blu-rays with perfect sound and vision.

The Road Warrior
    I was surprised how good it looked, given the film's age. All the shots are exteriors, most of them during daylight hours, so this one really shines.

Night of the Werewolf / Vengeance of the Zombies
    This Paul Naschy double-feature really blew my mind. Again, I was absolutely amazed how good the picture quality is for a couple of old goofy monster movies that have all but been forgotten in the world.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I do not own a blu-ray player but own Maniac on blu. I have not watched it. As such, I recommend you purchase this blu-ray disc based on nothing but the fact that I own it and have not seen it. hope this helps, fistf*ck.

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Sweeny Todd looks absolutely amazing, almost 3D-like.
    Same goes for every Criterion I own: The Seventh Seal, Les 400 Coups, Kagemusha.
    Also, There Will Be Blood is quite an eye opener.

But the best one I own must be Public Enemies.

Ditto for
    Shining
    New York Ripper
    Dark Knight

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I second Se7en. The Exorcist and Apocalypse Now (Full Disclosure) are must buys.

13. Fistfuck

Thank you for your valuable contribution, Worksh*d.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I'll chime in with Vampire Circus, Apocalypse Now: Full Disclosure Edition, The Shining, and The Exorcist.

I have to say that out of my Blu-ray collection, the best purchases were the Planet of the Apes Collection and Star Trek: The Original Series (almost done watching Season 2). The upgrade in quality has been tremendous and the bonus features are extensive.

15. Fistfuck

The Shining has been added.

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I'll 2nd District 9. Fantastic!! I love the transfer of the Road Warrior, but wish there were more special features!

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, i was really impressed by the level of detail in the road warrior. being able to see the grain in the asphalt during the first chase scene was really impressive.

18. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Friday the 13th Part 2 is one of the best looking Blu's I've seen so far. I was amazed at well the transfer is.

19. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I have to throw out the first three Bond films (Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger) for consideration. As a huge Connery Bond fan, I've seen these films many, many times. But seeing them on Blu-Ray for the first time was a real thrill. They look and sound better than I ever imagined they could.

If you like classic films, you can't go wrong with three Technicolor classics: The Adventures of Robin Hood, Gone With The Wind, and The Wizard Of Oz. All three are in absolutely stunning quality. A couple of my favorite black and white classics, Casablanca and 8 1/2, also look startling. The increased resolution and contrast of the Blu-Ray format really serves those two films well.

I agree that The Dark Knight, The Shining, and The Road Warrior discs have fantastic transfers.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Check out Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole if you really want to see just how good a Blu-ray can look. The transfer is basically flawless and stunning.

Even Blu-ray.com gave this one a 5-star A/V rating, and we know how conservative they can be.