My big upgrade decision

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nemesis, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

When you say censored you make it sound like its severely edited. You don't see some naked gal's boobs, thats it. Oooooooooohhhh. All the gore is still there.

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Once again blu-ray is not utilizing its 50gb to have any advantage right on HD-DVD AAANNNNDDD HD-DVD now has 51GB so I guess using your arguement for what is better in the long run- I guess HD-DVD is better then so thanks for backing up HD-DVD with your arguement<:

Report: DVD Forum Approves 51GB HD DVD
    Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 07:55 AM ET
    Tags: Toshiba (all tags)

The 51GB HD DVD disc is apparently one step closer to becoming a reality.

According a published report from UK research firm Screen Digest, the DVD Forum (the international organization responsible for DVD standards) has approved a 51 GB single-sided triple-layer HD DVD disc for production.

First announced by Toshiba last January at CES, a 51GB HD DVD disc would up the format's current dual-layer maximum storage capacity by a cool 21GB, but more importantly, it would close the gap between HD DVD and Blu-ray. Blu-ray currently supports 50GB discs, which has been one of the primary tech advantages it holds over its rival.

The extension to the existing HD DVD standard was submitted by Toshiba in April and was said to be approved on August 31st.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  3. rp108

rp108 Guest

Buying into Blu-ray at this point is a big mistake. Blu-ray will soon be a PS3 format very similar to UMD for the PSP.

Two reasons not to support Blu-ray.

1. Paramount and Dreamworks at the end of August completely dropped support for Blu-ray and now supports HD DVD exclusivley. Almost a year of releasing on Blu-ray and they drop it? Obviously they know something the public doesn't and I am willing to bet more studios like Warner Bros will be following. So Blu-ray is losing studio support.

2. A Blu-ray machine today is obsolete. This is a fact. BD-J 1.0 (current machines) will not be able to play all the special features of future releases that are 1.1 or 2.0 compliant. So, when 1.1 becomes the norm, good luck accessing everything on the disc if you own a 1.0 machine. Here is a link of some people's frustation with 1.0 already for Blu-ray. This will only get worse as BD-J 1.1 and 2.0.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9gQG4OFgrpA

I could go on for days about this but I won't. HD DVD is definatley the way to go.

4. rp108

rp108 Guest

That is incorrect. 51 Triple Layer HD DVDs have been approved are in the works. So HD DVD will have 1 gb more than a Dual layer Blu-ray disc. And don't think that Blu-ray can even come close to getting a triple layer disc. BDA is having so much trouble now with manufacturing BD-50 that a triple layer is out of the question.

http://www.campaignhd.com/807_State_Of_BD.html

Read about the manufacturing problems.

5. Dave

Dave Pimp

Owned! Not.

It's well known that members of the HD-DVD camp paid off Paramount to go exclusive. Paramount themselves even acknowledged this to an extent. I'm fine with this, actually. All is fair in love and war, and I'm not against them doing this. But you need to at least mention it as the reason. Don't just arbitrarily say Blu-Ray is losing support.

Agree with your consensus regarding BD-J. It's an unfortunate situation and it is a fault of Blu-Ray's. But I still give them the edge due to the extra space.

If HD-DVD is approved and it in fact becomes a reality that they can release 50gb discs, I'm all for them taking the crown. I don't really care one way or the other. I want the superior format to win, and to me it's about specs, which blu-ray has right now. Second to specs is studio support, which I'm still giving to blu-ray since they have Fox/MGM/Sony/Disney, plus the neutrals likes Warner and New Line. Losing Paramount was a big hit, but it only gives HD-DVD Universal and Paramount. Those are two huge libraries and two huge libraries I want access to, but they still don't compare to Fox/MGM/Sony/Disney. Especially MGM; they bring so much to the table. But even studio support isn't all that important to me because *if* a clear winner emerges, chances are most will eventually release onto the winning format.

Now if HD-DVD hits 50gb and blu-ray adds another layer, I'm all for blu-ray still. Someone mentioned that another layer won't have due to the problems with BD-50. I disagree. DVD-18 used to have problems and they did resolve them. DVD-18 never became too common because of expense, but technical issues can and will be resolved. Actually, as far as I know they *were* resolved on BD-50 and there are tons of BD-50 releases now, so I disagree on that point.

But as I said earlier in this thread, and I'll say it again, the only choice right now is both. If I were to adopt now, I would get both. But I'm not adopting now because A) there aren't enough titles out that I want, B) I'm not terribly interested in upgrading my DVD collection at the moment, and C) I have an HD satellite receiver with a channel dedicated to horror movies in high definition. Neither blu-ray or hd-dvd can match the choices on MonstersHD. While their specs may be superior to the stream I'm receiving, specs are only as good as the titles available.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

That's not true. 51 Gigs is the Max HD DVD can do right now in tests (and you need new player). BR has already proven to be able to get 200 Gigs on one side as it can be layered 8 times. BR just needs to be double layered to reach 50 Gigs.

7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Okay this thread is just starting to crack me up - anyone want to predict what HD-DVD and Blu Ray will be doing in the year 2030???? Both formats are great but I like HD-DVD more just personally while others on here like blu ray cuz they are both great - end of story- there is ton of info on the net for anyone that is trying to choose- but neither is better than the other in sound or picture right now and they are pretty split on studio support- I like the 1)Price and 2)Interactive Features and menus HD DVD is utilizing right now (yes I know blu ray has recently started some interactive features of their own) and 3) i like region free and 4)I owned an xbox 360 so the add on was really cheap- end of story part 2- the specs are a non factor right now on either side and the average consumer could care less what either MIGHT do in the future- beta was better than vhs but did the average consumer care? Im not saying either is better but its about price and what the average consumer (not the rich or tech geeks) like in features- if someone likes the studios like disney over paramount/dreamworks then they may want blu ray- if the want a ps3 they may want blu ray- if you have a xbxo 360 you may want to go hd dvd since its really cheap to add it on or standalone players being under 200 soon if you dont have much money- these are more of the type of things someone is looking for over nick picking specs and what one format MIGHT do in the future or be capable of years from now ect ect - I only brought up the 51 gb HD-DVD as and example of what HD DVD could or might do in teh future which is totally irrelevant and HD-DVD knows that right now price reigns over the xtra space since it isnt being utilized - I have no idea if HD-DVD or Blu-Ray is gonna win- stil think it is 50-50 with some experts saying they will coexist- I just wish they would have combo players come down in price and let em both thrive together so we can all watch whatever freakin movie we want to <:

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

Agreed. It is rather silly people make a fuss about a two second shot.

9. rp108

rp108 Guest

You can give 100 reasons why Paramount/Dreamworks moved to HD DVD but in the end what is the truth? That Blu-ray is losing studio support, bottom line.

Blu-ray facts:
    over 58% of Blu-ray discs are 25gb
    over 48% of Blu-ray discs use last generation codec MPEG2
    all current machines are BD-J 1.0 and will not be able to play all features from a Blu-ray disc BD-J 1.1 or BD-J 2.0
    BDA does not require ethernet ports
    BDA does not secondary video decoders or persistent storage
    Current Blu-ray machines do not support high definiton audio such as TrueHD and DTS-HD:MA

So much for those specs ;)

Facts about studio support:
    Blu-ray exclusives: 195
    HD DVD exclusives: 187

So much for Blu-ray having more studio support ;)

Facts about HD DVD:
    over 73% of HD DVDs are 30gb
    over 96% of HD DVDs use advanced codec VC-1 and AVC
    Every HD DVD machine is required to have a second video decoder to allow PIP.
    Every HD DVD machine requires persistent storage.
    Every HD DVD machine requires an ethernet support for ease of firmware updates.
    Every HD DVD machine requires High Definition audio decoders for TrueHD.
    HDi is completley finalized and will work with every HD DVD player made, unlike BD-J 1.0,1.1,and 2.0.

Did I mention HD DVD is cheaper than Blu-ray?

Like I said before, to invest in Blu-ray at this point is a big mistake. Especially when there is a cheaper, more complete, and superior format...HD DVD! :D

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Add in Blu_ray has Region Coding, and stronger encryption....