My Bloody Valentine 3D - laser rot?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by maybrick, Jul 26, 2020.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Anybody know anything? Not talking about the regular disc, but the 3D blu ray edition.

I bought it used today and it kept breaking up halfway through with no visible scratches or whatever on the surface. It was bought used so I assume that it was the reason it was sold in the first place, so maybe it’s a known issue? It’s a lionsgate so I do know there are stories of their discs no longer working. I had to finished the movie on my old 2D pressing.

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I watched the 3D version of my Blu about a year ago and it was fine.

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Is it the anaglyph edition (that comes with glasses) or the Bluray 3D version?

4. maybrick

blu ray 3D edition

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Shit. I just bought one recently but haven't played it yet. I'll check it out tomorrow night.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This being a LionsGate blu-ray, their early discs are incredibly prone to disc rot. So this disc dying should come as no surprise.

The rundown on disc rot is as follows.

For DVDs, Warner DVDs from 2005 onward are incredibly problematic and prone to rotting. Every DVD that has ever crapped out on me over time has been Warner Bros, and the discs are usually spotless. They used a terrible pressing plant and as a result, many of their discs are crapping out over time. Supposedly, they stopped using this plant circa 2010, so their more recent DVDs should be okay, but I still don't trust them. Which sucks, because Warner is responsible for a lot of the TV on DVD, so we're likely to be getting dead discs in the middle of multi-disc sets. This said, their blu-ray releases should be fine.

When it comes to blu-rays, most of the disc issues can be pinpointed to one specific pressing plant responsible for LionsGate, Fox, and Anchor Bay. Anchor Bay and Fox are no more, but LionsGate still uses this pressing plant even now. So if your blu-ray disc is going to fail over time, there's a high likely-hood it's going to be LionsGate or Fox.

In fact, someone at blu-ray.com did a really terrific breakdown of what releases have been problematic, and how to determine if your disc came from one of these pressing plants using the number on the disc hub. If you're curious, here's a link: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=249210

In short, look at the clear plastic at the center of the hub on your MBV 3D blu-ray. There should be a really tiny set of numbers. If those numbers are IFPI 2F29, then this is a disc from the faulty pressing plant LionsGate notoriously uses.

Outside of these companies, your discs should have a pretty terrific track record. Hope this helps.

chancetx, Matt89, russweiss and 3 others like this.
  7. maybrick

I’ve already returned it back to Bull Moose, but they are getting me another used copy from another store. When it comes in I’ll check the number out. Thanks.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah, my DVD of Jason Goes To Hell just stopped working. Disc looked pristine but 5 mins in it was jump city and then it would just stop. Ended up chucking it.

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

On the rare occasions when I have a problem with a disc I try a different player. About half the time (I don't know why) the movie will play. Shouldn't be a firmware issue as I keep all my players up to date.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. maybrick

I have alternate ways to play a standard blu ray, but only one 3D player.

11. Zombie Dude

Oh, don't worry, I tried this. Didn't work on anything anymore :(

12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Most recently I had the final disc of the Zatoichi box set go bad. The first film on the disc played but the second wouldn't load up. I put it into a second player and got it to load but then it kept freezing. I contacted Criterion and was told there wasn't any known issue and the guy told me to try a few things (wash with soap and water). When that didn't work he let me send the defective disc back and gave me a replacement.

13. Zombie Dude

Mine became a coaster :(

Pretty nice of them to send you a new disc!