My Bloody Valentine Special Edition In The Works!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

We could always demand a re-release because so far they haven't given a valid excuse as to why they can't do it.

2. Zombie Dude

True, but wouldn't it feel better to have an official release?

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Agreed. Better than nothing, but we can still hope they can edit it the scenes.

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Of course it would, it would also be nice to have an official release of Happy Birthday to Me on DVD with its original score. I have a bootleg where some guy ripped the widescreen DVD and synced it up with the audio from the LD and it's beautiful. It upscales beautifully, and i finally have the original version of the movie (the one i remember) with great image quality!

It's great that you guys are trying so hard to get the film released uncut, but I simply don't think it's going to happen. I'm willing to bet a million dollars that they've already pressed the discs. I mean, at least the uncut footage is there. Someone will just have to edit it back in.

~Matt

5. Zombie Dude

Well like you said, at least we're trying.

Why was the score changed on Happy Birthday to Me? I still haven't seen the film.:(

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I have NO idea why the score was different, but there are some GLARING differences. The opening sequence (in the original version) had a low-key piano tune as the score. Very creepy and quite effective. On the DVD columbia released, it was replaced by some upbeat, pop sounding disco track called "Out of the Blue"...it ruined the film. Absolutely annihilated it. And throughout the movie there were different sounding musical cues and "stingers". There was now music where there originally wasn't music, and vice-versa. It was a disaster.

But what was interesting was that the same people were credited as to having done the music, so this was either one of two things:
    1. A MAJOR fuck-up on Columbia's behalf. or..
    2. A rare pre-release score for the film that was dropped before its initial release and replaced with the score we all knew.

So essentially the score we have on the DVD might just very well have been THE ORIGINAL score, before the score we all know as the original score was used for its theatrical release.

~Matt

7. Zombie Dude

I'd take a creepy piano tune over pop music any day when it comes to horror. Sounds like a pretty weird stuff up. Wasn't the movie heavily cut too?

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It was cut, yes, but not badly. (More like Friday part 1) However, it's an extremely stylish film, and it should be, considering it was directed by J. Lee (Cape Fear) Thompson. And I personally believe Happy Birthday to Me along with Terror Train to be the two best slashers to come out of the '80s. They both hold up very well, especially Happy Birthday to Me.

~Matt

9. Zombie Dude

Isn't the disc OOP now? So you'd hope if it were to get re-released that they fix the mistake.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's definitely OOP. I went and got the UK disc back when it was released because the R2 somewhat kept the original artwork (the lettering, anyway). And the original score is intact on that release....however on the German track. The English track has the same "new" score.

I hope they re-release it, because the alternate score was a pretty big deal when the DVD was released. I'm sure they got an influx of complaints. It wasn't in print for very long, so I'm guessing the disc was just pulled. They may very well be fixing the error.

As to the uncut version, I'm not even sure the trimmed bits even exist anymore. Still, for a cut film, it's quite bloody. It's cut, but nowhere NEAR to the degree that My Bloody Valentine was.

It's a great slasher, I highly recommend it. Although, the ending is a bit frustrating.

~Matt

11. Zombie Dude

I was going to buy it about a year back but remembered there was complaint about the disc so I help off. I'll definitely pick it up if it gets re-released.

12. That will depend on the quality difference between the movie and the "deleted Scenes." The audio can be a slight problem because it is being remixed to 5.1, which i really wanted, and the bonus footage will certainly be in the original mono.

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I will say that this is the identical answer they gave to the first letters.

No specifics. I can only assume when they say uncut, they mean the kill scenes.

Let's hope.

14. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

the uncut scenes better be in pritine quality!!! i hope its nothing like the terrible looking workprint for Friday 7.

and as for Happy Birthday to Me, u can find the VHS at eBay, i got one for $5.00 and it was perfect condidtion. and i do agree, HBTM is one of the best slashers ever made, really stylish, and its really fun to watch.
    and i never knew anything was cut from that movie at all.

15. Zombie Dude

Considering the cut footage is taken from negatives as apposed to video cassette footage (as was the case with Friday VII), the quality shouldn't be that big an issue.

As for HBTM, I got this off Retro Slashers:
    Would be nice I think to get an uncut version of this too, but I have no idea if the scenes still exist apart for the few videos circling the web.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I doubt the cut footage will be in "pristine" condition, but it'll most certainly be taken from the original negative, not a workprint VHS.

As for Happy Birthday to Me, as you can see, not much was really cut out of the film. It's quite interesting, seeing as how HBTM was only released about 3 months after My Bloody Valentine, and that film had so much cut from it. Guess the MPAA toned down a bit. Either that, or the death scenes in MBV were far more intense and brutal than the deaths in HBTM. Or, it could be the fact that the film was released by a major studio, and they were a bit more leniant. Either way, HBTM wasn't one of the worst victims of the MPAA.

~Matt

17. Zombie Dude

Still, if it could be done (which like I said, I have no idea what condition the cuts are in or if they still exist), it would still be cool to see a complete version of the film. From what you say, the cuts don't effect the film, and it's not like there's many of them so it doesn't make a big difference.

18. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

You wouldnt take the footage quality that Silent Night Deadly Night had reinserted back into the movie? For the Anchor Bay disc. I thought the quality was more then watchable and AB stepped upp to the bat and hit a home run for reinserting the footage and taking care of putting a disclaimer of sorts at the start of the movie to tell people what there intentions were.
    I dont think we will get pristine quality footage for MBV.

Sean

19. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I remember seeing the cut footage of Happy Birthday to Me at the theater. That motorcycle scene was GREAT!
    When the movie came on Showtime a year later, my friends who finally got to see it thought I was lying about the gory scenes. A bunch of 12 year olds...totally disappointed. Even my mother (who took me to see it at the cinema) kept saying, "...they're not showing everything" when we convinced my dad to watch it with us on cable.
    When I read a Fangoria article addressing the cuts very briefly (some issue in '82) and that the studio chose a "softer" version for home video and cable it all made sense. *sigh* at least I saw it once in it's hard "R" form.

20. kiddo

kiddo New Member

Speaking of the cuts in HBTM...Does anyone know where to find the "harder" uncut version? I've been on a goose chase for 5 years trying to track it down, but everyone who claims to have the "uncut" version is lying. Every version circulating now is the same old VHS version that's been around for years.

Any clues, folks?