My Bloody Valentine Special Edition In The Works!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Oct 28, 2008.

1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Oh, and for anyone wondering, they weren't going to show a 35mm. print of the film uncut, as apparently they never made one, so it was going to just be the DVD blown up. So in that sense it's not that big of a deal, but it's still disappointing as it would have been fun to watch the film for the first time with a bunch of avid fans. That and the whole not meeting the Director and getting my stuff signed, and spending all that cash (Which right now I really don't have). :(. I'll just have to hit up a horror convention next time it's in To. I guess.

Sorry for bitching guys, but I was/ and still am a little pissed about last night. But what can you do I guess...

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

OMG I AM SO GLAD I DIDN'T GO LAST NIGHT. I had actually talked 3 of my buddies into coming with me, but it was so cold out that we were just like yo fuck it. Instead we got fucking baked as shit (I hadn't been that high in a WHILE) and watched The Rules of Attraction. (Pretty fucked up movie when you're stoned.) It would've been missions getting out there too, as I live in Mississauga. SO glad I didn't go. Would've liked to have met Neil Affleck and George Mihalka tho...

But that power outage must've lasted all night. I went to school this morning and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST what a mission. Power was out from Jane station ALL THE WAY to St. George. I truly wanted to kill someone. Then I get to school and find out my tutorial had been cancelled.

So I just went to the Eaton Centre. (Fucking bullshit, I tell you.)

~Matt

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

so no one got ask about the drillbit scene?

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Nope. They started the Q and A when the power first went out. But the only thing the Director had time to ask before they booted us all out was the standard "Why do you think My Bloody Valentine has lasted this long?" question. It was cool to see the Director talk with a flashlight haha, but so disappointing as I was planning on asking that if given the chance.

Hopefully they reschedule or something, although I doubt they will. I e-mailed Rue Morgue to find out what's going on as I didn't even get my money back. Usually when this happens at the bigger chains they give you your money back and a free voucher, I was thinking that's the least they could do considering, even if it wasn't their fault and they are a smaller company. In their defense maybe they would have if it wasn't pitch black and we weren't getting rushed out, but still... I'm a little pissed about the whole thing considering how much time and money I wasted for nothing.

5. Damnation

Damnation Guest

It's ashame the old Paramount DVD has a better transfer:

Paramount TOP
    Lionsgate SE BOTTOM

[​IMG]

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Sorry for going on and on about this screening, but I just thought after all my bitching I should let you guys know that it wasn't a complete loss, and Rue Morgue made me huge fans of them! Seems like they are really good guys.

I sent them an e-mail to find out what is going on with the screening, and whether I would be able to get a refund. I was polite about it (At least I think I was), and told them I understood it was not their fault, but it was extremely disappointing that I spent money to get there and waited in the cold, ect. I did tell them that as a horror fan I did appreciate it though, and that it was nice to see people really put an effort into celebrating the horror genre instead of mocking it.

Dave, the guy that runs it was quick to respond to my e-mail and said that he was disappointed by it all as well. Apparently it was the most expensive event they put on, and that they took a big loss because of it, but...

and here's the awesome news for those that missed it. They are planning on rescheduling it hopefully some time in April. Pretty much whenever the Director is free again, and will have even more guests next time. Awesome news!

On top of it, he said to come introduce myself and he'll make sure all my stuff gets signed and that he'll introduce me to the Director and cast.

And on top of that, he said he would get me and my friends onto the guest list for the next CineMacabre that we plan on going to!

How awesome is that?! Nice to see companies and people that actually give a damn about their fans! I became huge fans of Rue Morgue after this, and definitely have to start checking out their magazine.

Anyways, for those that got screwed cause of the blackout, or missed out because it was too damn cold out, it looks like we'll get another chance in April! Sweetness!

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

OMG that is SWEEEEEEET. I'm DEFINITELY going if it's happening again in April. It'll at least be nice outside. (Being downtown in the summer is fucking awesome. There's so much stuff to do.)

~Matt

8. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Watching the extended version is like seeing the film for the first time again. The added footage really makes that much difference in tone. It makes the Miner a much more menacing and mean figure.

And yeah, I would've much rather had more behind the scenes interviews and footage in regard to the original film on the DVD, but we have to keep in mind that the entire reason this release exists is because of the remake. So, if they wanna try and sell a few more tickets to the remake because they gave us this great new version of the existing film... I'm inclined to let them. I've not seen the remake yet, but at best, we have two great movies to cherish for years to come, and at worst, we'll have as close to the definitive version of the original as is likely to ever be released.

The transfers in Paramount and Lionsgate might differ a bit, but this is still a really good transfer. If the director was involved in this release in the re-instating of the footage, I'm sure he's okay with this being a correct transfer. I don't recall him being involved at all with Paramount's.

9. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

There's a subway station really close to the Go Station, and Bloor Cinema is really close to a subway stop too. Take the subway. $2.75 each way. Cheaper than a taxi probably.

the Green Room can be hard to find if you don't know where it is.

it lasted all night all right. Some people still didn't have power at 6 p.m. on Friday. Luckily mine came on while I was at work on Friday. It was weird driving through T.o. and hitting completely dark patches. It's never dark in this city!

excellent news! I ended up not going on Thursday cause I was feeling exhausted, but now I'm glad I didn't. No having to deal with the power outage and they're going to show it in April when it's much more bearable to stand outside. Yay!!!

Now I just have to find the damn DVD and life will be o.k.

10. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Watched this for the first time last night. I tried to keep my expectations low going in but it turns out I had nothing to worry about. The film looks good and the extra scenes are in much better condition than I expected. Like others have said, the extra footage really adds a new level of meanness to the film, much more than I ever would have thought. It feels like a much darker film than it did before.

I had a huge smile on my face the entire way through and even for awhile afterwards, I would think about certain scenes and start smiling again. This was one of my favorite slashers before but this adds an even bigger level of appreciation for it.

I'm thinking I may pop it in again tonight, I really can't get over how much the extra scenes add to the feel of the film.

11. gore

gore Guest

Not to poop on the parade, but was anyone else kind of dissappointed with the quality of the added scenes? I mean, to say its not that noticable or not as bad as SNDN is kinda sugarcoating it. I just as happy as anyone to even have this release but it really didnt seem like MINUTES worth of gore added. So there was no way to remaster this footage? or the cost involved didnt seem worth it? Aside from the bartenders death it really didnt change the film for me that much.

12. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Haven't seen a lot of comments on the 5.1. I listened to the mono track last night but will be checking out the 5.1 audio next time around. I'm always skeptical when they add this to an older release that never had it before but looking forward to seeing how it sounds.

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I was gonna say, get on the subway at Union (it's attached to Union station), take it northbound to St. George, transfer at St.George and go Westbound and get off at Bathurst. No need to taxi it up there. Hell, no need to really taxi ANYWHERE when you're downtown. Public transit it so convenient.

~Matt

14. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Mihalka speaks!

From Shock Till You Drop:

This is what most of us assumed but it's nice to have it officially confirmed. I suppose they could dig this out somewhere, sometime but it appears that it's lost forever ... at least for now. As I've said before, I personally like the way the scene plays out and, although I would love to see this scene, I don't think I want it back in the film. It's my honest opinion that it works better this way. The audience is right there with Hollis, neither he nor us knowing whether or not Michael and Harriet are dead.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  15. Maniac

Maniac Guest

This movie feels complete now. After nearly 3 decades I have finally seen it UNCUT ! The way it was intended. I loved the movie before, now I just love it even more :)

I can't imagine what it must have been like at the time for the special FX team. They did a wonderful job and it just got trimmed away. Never to be seen again. Until now. The uncut death scenes still hold up very well even by todays standards. They still look very realistic. Sure, the quality isn't as fantastic as the rest of the transfer .... but it's still damn fucking impressive considering the age.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It sounded pretty solid in 5.1. Fairly natural and not "tinny" like some of these mono-to-5.1 tracks sound like at times.

17. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Just ordered it from Amazon, so can't wait to see it!

19. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Great review Wes. I love the play on the film's threatening rhyme at the end as well lol.

20. Damnation

Damnation Guest

I must say I disagree with your assessment of the transfer. It's simply not as good as the old Paramount DVD. It's noise reduced, bathed in a dim greenish-gray hue, and cropped on all four sides of the frame compared to the 2002 transfer. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but personally I'm tired of such generalized praise. The 2002 transfer is more accurate to what 35mm film looks like, so it seems odd that you advise listening to the mono track, while the new transfer is comparatively not right.

Honestly, if the new DVD wasn't uncut and I bought it based on your review, I'd be pretty steamed.