My Bloody Valentine Special Edition In The Works!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Anyone ever go over to the message board at the IMDb? They're hilarious! There are a lot of posters bitching about the new DVD, saying that Lionsgate was lazy for not including all the footage (even though Mihalka says it can't be found) and for not remastering the footage. It's funny but also angering since we've been waiting so long for this and most of us thought we would never see it. And, now, here it is, and all people can do is bitch about it. These are the same people that would've gladly paid $50 for a sub-VHS quality bootleg of this version 10 years ago but now they're bitching about the DVD they paid $15 for. It's ridiculous!

But, that's not the best part. There are a couple of extremely delusional folks who SWEAR that they saw the fully uncut version back in the 80's on some late night horror show (USA's Up All Night seems to be the most popular). Either they really believe this or they're starving for attention. Either way, I want to grab them by the throats and squeeze. It reminds me of customers I used to get when I worked at Suncoast who SWORE that there was a version of Halloween III that had Michael Myers in it. The fully uncut version never saw the light of day and, if it did, it wasn't on USA's Up All Night. :fuck::fire:

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Some people can just never be pleased. No matter what you do you can never please them.
    It's probably the same people who said an uncut version will never happen too. My only complain is my dvd hasn't come yet.:cry:

It's all the recreational drugs they've been smoking.:rolleyes:
    The only print they may have seen would be the one that contained the arm ripping at the end. How thay can mistake that for a fully uncut print is beyond me.
    :lol:Are you serious? That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

3. Kolpitz

Hey, Don, this trailer isn't actually on Vol. 4, is it? I don't see it mentioned in any of the reviews but it would be awesome if it were!

4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

A lot of the people on IMDB are fucking idiots. I've read the posts you are talking about. Just can't please people.

And technically speaking, Myers was in Halloween 3, but it was a cameo of sorts as the film did play Halloween on the TV set when Tom Atkins was tied up. ;)

5. Kolpitz

ZING! Put in my place!

6. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

If you would honestly be steamed by paying under $15.00 for the chance to see My Bloody Valentine in as close of an uncut form as we are ever going to get, just because of a slight transfer difference (which does not harm the film at all) between this and the ridiculous R-rated cut, then sir, I do apologize for the disservice my review did to you. I will have George take it down immediately and I shall never review again.

;)

And as stated before, Mihalka was involved with this release. Therefore, I'm inclined to believe that this is how he wants the film to look. Maybe he thought Paramount's transfer was too bright and saturated. Maybe he wanted the transfer grayed up a bit to try and make the new footage not stand out as much. I'm not really sure. The fact is, yes the transfer is slightly different than the old disc, but does it harm the viewing experience? Maybe if all your mind is preoccupied with the whole time is the thought "This sucks, this is a different transfer!" Yeah, it would probably harm the viewing experience then. By all means, hold on to the Paramount disc if you feel this way. The rest of us will enjoy a pretty damn good disc from a studio that is at least trying to go the extra mile for genre fans.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  7. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Well-said,WesReviews.It is understandable to find flaws in something many of us have waited decades for,but for God's sake-be grateful!

All of the perfected color timing and spotless prints in the world can't make up for legendary uncut footage we've heard about and seen stills from for years,but were denied by the studio who holds ownership rights.

Paramount refused to give the fans what we wanted time and again,even having the audacity to release the film with improved cover art as a double bill and not a single extra feature.As far as I'm concerned,the only thing Paramount did right was turn over the rights to a decent company who are willing to put a bit more of themselves into the project.As for the inferior transfer,I agree that it likely worked in our favor,when incorporating the scenes of lesser quality.An overall "Grindhouse"-inspired transfer would have benefited the film greatly,as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Well written review and I appreciate your honesty. Thanks for sharing. I'll be picking this up for sure.

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah but there were 3 of us. So it would still cost almost $9 if we all took the subway. It still would have been cheaper though I guess, but I am horrible with directions and have never taken the subway, so I didn't want to risk somehow getting lost. Next time though I think I will look into it more and take the subway. That, and for the ride home it was so cold out, we just wanted ti get home as quick as possible.

Oh, and I forgot how crazy taxis are in To. money wise. In Hamilton the Taxi's only go up like 10 or 15 cents, where as in To. they go up 25 cents. That's like double the money for the same distance! Damn To., and everyone having money so they're allowed to get away with that!

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Thought I would mention that this disc seems to be selling pretty good. Everywhere I have been it has been sold out. At a small movie store in one of our malls called "Cinema One" one of the workers there said it sold out right away, and they planned on ordering a lot this time as they already had a bunch of people on their waiting list for it. That's awesome news, glad to see this movie finally getting the following it deserves! I am going to try and pick it up at HMV this week (as for some reason they aren't releasing it until this Tues. in Canada) in their 2 for $25 deal, as that's a steal in my opinion.

11. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Ditto!! Nice Review. I will also be picking this up ASAP!

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Seriously, great review man. That one dude sounds like a total idiot, he clearly has no idea what he's talking about. The old color timing made the movie look more like 35mm film? Color timing has nothing to do with the way 35mm looks. I didn't notice any digital noise reduction, either. And, with an HDTV things like that tend to really stand out. And cropped? Errr...the old Paramount DVD was 1.85:1 and this transfer is 1.78:1, so the movie has definitely been opened up a bit, if anything.

And the color timing that Mihalka agreed on really suits the film better than the old transfer. The greenish-gray hue gives it a really cold wintery feel. The dim, gray dullness of winter. I don't see the issue, because it's not the entire movie that has this feel to it. The reds are extremely vibrant, so I don't know how anybody could complain about this. It's not like he F'd it up the way Friedkin did with The French Connection.

He'd be pretty steamed? Fuck, over WHAT? There has to be someone to bitch and complain about something. Jesus Christ.

But great review, dude. :D

~Matt

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  13. Buddusky

Buddusky New Member

Hey Matt, get a fuckin grip, the guy's just showing screenshots of both releases of the film and it looks pretty obvious to me that from his screens the Paramount release has more information on all sides. So you' ve looked at those screens and think the new release has been more opened up!?! Open your eyes, and it sounds like your the only one bitchin.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Point is, the new one was approved by the director. And the old transfer by comparison to the new one looks washed-out. Fleshtones look more accurate in this one, anyway. Colors are more vibrant. So, technically in this one, the color timing has been perfected, since it was a director-approved transfer.

And okay, that screenshot shows more room on the Paramount release, but it's not like it's horribly cropped, only slightly, and so slightly that it doesn't really make a difference. And besides, it's not like this movie is some masterpiece with outstanding cinematogrpahy. Hell, maybe Mihalka preferred the ratio they used here, and that's why they used it. Hell, who knows? But the point is we've got the most complete version of the film in existence, and people still feel the need to complain about things that are so insignificant in the first place.

~Matt

15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

huh? If it is 1.78 instead of 1.85 it would be more opened up. Was it shy full frame? If so matt is right.

16. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

i'd like to hear rhett'd comments on it...(is a review on its way??) :D

17. Zombie Dude

I hope so. We should get some good screen comparisons too, seeing as the Paramount dvd was reviewed here.

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, because I know Warner does it ALL the time. Whenever a movie's 1.85, Warner always has it matted for 1.78, I guess so that it perfectly fits a 16x9 display. (1.85:1 has little thin black lines on the top and bottom of the frame on a 16x9 TV) It really doesn't make a difference. 1.85:1, 1.78:1, same thing, except 1.78 is slightly more open than 1.85.

~Matt

19. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

hey Zombie Dude, has the DVD come in the mail yet?? it has for Maniac...

20. Zombie Dude

No. I'm hoping sometime next week. Maniac seems to have his ways of obtaining things quicker than I do.