My First LaserDisc: Black Christmas (1974)

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by It's me Billy, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

These are the so-caled "faces" discs:
    [​IMG]

If you do decide to buy Star Wars discs, these are the only ones to have.

At this point, I don't think there are many LDs that are worth owning over their DVD/Blu-Ray counterparts. Mostly, you get them as collector's items (like your Black Christmas disc), but very few if any have more features or better quality than the DVD/Blu. I mentioned the Roan discs simply because they're among the better quality horror LDs that were ever released (in terms of picture/sound/extas), and if you want to see LD on top of its game, that's a good place to start. Well, that and the Elite discs, but you're already going there. Seriously though, get that Elite SE of Night of the Living Dead, for the stills gallery alone. The sheer number of photographs (many in full color) from the making of the film will astound you.

Also wanted to add that Elite LD would eventually split off into Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, Elite DVD, and Synapse, so if you can imagine the heads of those companies all working on the same team, it was Elite LD.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three must-owns for any horror fan with LD capability.

As for the player, you still should look out for a decent one. You don't want to go all-out like I do (I have a Faroudja scaler specifically for upscaling LD into my HDTV, several hundred dollars right there), but I also have 500 of these things and it will take a long time to upgrade to Blu-Ray. A good rule of thumb is to look for Pioneer players with the designation CLD-Dxxx (where xxx will be something like 406, 502, 704, etc). The second "D" means double sided as in it will switch to the second side of the disc automatically. You already know that the remote is critical, as you can't access things like commentary unless you have it as no universal remote will have that specific function.

Don't be afraid to ask any of us LD-heads for advice BEFORE you buy something.

3. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

[​IMG]

Next up: Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi

4. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Actually the Elm Street LD still has extras that have never been ported over. There is some raw deleted footage and Freddy voice tests on the dsc that have yet to see the light of day anywhere else.
    I remember pre-ordering the I Know What You Did Laserdisc from Suncoast back in 1998 and it finally coming in but they were unable to sell it to me because the disc had just been recalled because the trailer on it said "From the creator of Scream" and Cravens people asked to have that removed. Years later I did get the disc with the trailer intact off of ebay for pennies.

5. Crazferret

Crazferret Member

Mine was BRAVEHEART. Quickly followed by the Criterion HALLOWEEN release.