My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Agent Z, Jan 8, 2003.

1. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

Well, i guess to keep 'the movement alive' in this section of the message board. I'll just add I snagged another Hammer Title. This time Roan's Satanic Rites of Dracula.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Since we're on the subject, let's list our Hammer LDs.

My collection:

Horror of Dracula
    Brides of Dracula
    Dracula AD 1972
    Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires

Evil of Frankenstein
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed

Nightmare/Kiss of the Vampire.

Damn...I gotta get crackin. Are The Mummy's Shroud/
    The Reptile/The Witches any good?
    I do wanna get some of those Elite LDs, but it gets expensive...

3. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

Yeah, when i checked my account this morning, i was like... :eek1: It DOES get expensive!

Didn't realize it was Christmas in February for me. :rolleyes: :cry:

The Reptile and The Mummy's Shroud as movies are "ok". I like them. But i've read numerous comments on them and having them labeled as Hammer's weaker releases. If you were asking about the quality, the name ELITE says it all.

I have not seen THE WITCHES yet, but the description sounds like Suspiria to me.

Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires is one i want VERY BAD!! I've heard nothing but great things about it, and have held off viewing it till i get my hands on my own copy.

As for my collection, it's small but...

ELITE:
    Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)
    Plague of the Zombies (1966)
    Rasputin: The Mad Monk (1966)
    The Reptile (1966)
    The Devil's Own/The Witches (1966)
    The Mummy's Shroud (1967)
    The Devil's Bride/The Devil Rides Out (1968)

ROAN:
    The Abominable Snowman
    Satanic Rites of Dracula

I'm really wanting to get the VAMPIRE LOVERS on DVD. It was actually the "series" that got me into Hammer Films. And i'm also wanting THE MUMMY and LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES. Either of them can be on DVD or LD, but the VAMPIRE LOVERs films, i'm gonna go ahead and go with the DVD.

P.S. The main reason i've been getting these on LD is cuz of the price. I have no ill will towards the DVD versions other than they are double (and sometimes TRIPLE) what the LD price is.

4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I found a mint condition disc of the Pioneer special edition of MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. Wow - the picture on this is simply amazing - sharp and colorful! Got it at a used record store for $9.99. Also picked up mint (as in the gatefold still had stiffness to it) condition discs of : HALLOWEEN (Criterion CAV) and Re-Animator for $9.99 each. At AMEOBA in San Francisco, I found: VERTIGO Sign. Ed. for $9.99 (another near mint copy), POLTERGEIST Box set for $9.99, I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE for $12.99 (I'm shocked at the razor sharp picture on this disc - it looks wonderful and looks like it was hardly played). Good choices, non?

5. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Man....I didn't even know that there was a laserdisc release for this little classic! I checked the IMDB and there were no specs reported for a laserdisc version......and I have never seen it up for auction, so I assumed long ago that it just never came out on laserdisc. Very cool......very cool indeed.........:)

6. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

Damn wago70! You got some great disc too. And those prices! AWESOME! The Poltergeist box set is just awesome. I find the sound to be better than the DVD. Plus the extras are better if i remember right. And for $9 bucks! WOW!!

The others are disc i would've picked up for that price too. Halloween and Re-Animator specifically. Even if I owned the DVD counter parts.

In my opinion thats a fun and good pick up.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires:

It was done by the Roan group. The Anchor Bay DVD
    is a direct port of this Laser. It's got both versions,
    Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, and Seven Brothers meet Dracula. It comes in a very nice gatefold sleeve. Also, the Peter Cushing reading is on one of the analog tracks, which is a better option than on the DVD, where you're stuck with a still picture, and you can't fast forward or reverse it.

Oh, and what's the verdict on The Lost Continent? Any good?

8. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

The Lost Continent is a great one, a tad on the humorous side though. I missed out on this one a month or so ago, I never bothered to check the LD stack at one of the stores as it looked like they hadn't gotten anything new, and then I see some brat up at the counter buying a factory sealed copy of this for $8 :mad:

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    That's the thing about these used record stores in a city like San Francisco - you have to act fast. It seemed like I merely blinked and missed out on THE HUNGER, BARON BLOOD/LISA&DEVIL, CARRIE (Criterion), POLYESTER...yes, they went between $9.99 and $14.99. Oh well, you just never know what you're going to run across - even several cool Japanese imports have been spotted (and appropriately snapped up as well) like: LIFEFORCE, PRINCE OF DARKNESS, LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE and all the once-rare Argento flicks.
    I'm currently on the look-out for a mint condition of SUSPIRIA since my Image disc was lost out to harsh speckling a few years ago. Any leads?

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

My man Ross (once again, http://www.rossexchange.com) has a copy for $10. He'll have checked the disc itself for rot or speckling. If you want, I'll see what the cover looks like this weekend.

11. Agent Z

Paff, that LOTSGV laserdisc sounds great and I can't find SQUAT on the net about it....not even a crumb (besides what you posted). I'm holding out to find the laserdisc before I give up and take home that awful AB DVD cover art.....

[​IMG]

P.S. I love ya Anchor Bay, but DAYUMN! Why did you guys decide on THAT cover!?!?

12. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

Damn! I missed out yet AGAIN on the LD i want bad.

THe CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE of...

Revenge of the Creature from the Black Lagoon

and

The Creature Walks Among Us

It's at $32 now with 9 minutes and i just can't see myself paying more it. I'll continue to hope i can find it cheaper on Ebay or that Universal will release them on DVD with the same treatment they did on the other films.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

14. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I found a factory sealed copy of the Maniac Director's cut today for $10. I have it on hold, but haven't picked it up yet.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

So, you like this cover more then?:

[​IMG]

16. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

Yeah, i usually browse the LD HORROR section on EBAY when its slow at work. And its been slow lately. And i saw PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES back up. I checked the price to see if it was priced good and was gonna send ya an email, but when i saw who the high bidder was at that point, i saw i didn't need to. ;)

Cool man. I'm glad you got a hold of it and for a still good price!

17. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Sorry if I'm going off-topic from the Hammer posts, but I got the Japanese LD of They Live last week. It is letterboxed, but I believe that some of the left side of the frame is cropped out (At the begining, when it shows John Carpenter's They Live, you see "ohn Carpenter's hey Live"). Also, the transfer has a high contrast level that's a little distracting. Overall, I was happy to have only paid $30 for it, as opposed to $60+ for the OOP Image DVD.

Anyone know if an American, widescreen Laserdisc has been released?

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

There's never been an American widescreen disc; only P&S. For $30 you could have just bought the R2 PAL SE DVD of They Live.

19. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

I have a Konka DVD player (KD1800U) that has a hack to make it multi-regional, but I don't know if it'll convert PAL to NTSC, so I'm still not sure if I have multi-regional/PAL to NTSC- capability.

20. Agent Z

[​IMG]

That's like asking "Does the ocean have water?" Are you kidding?! That laserdisc cover blows the AB cover away! It's not even close! I haven't even seen that poster art before! I WILL have this one day....oh yes I will! (Cue Evil Laughter)