My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Agent Z, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

I've been back in an LD buying mood lately. I'm watching a few on ebay, though I won't say what as I don't want you fools buying them from under me. I did just pickup Criterion's The Game SE LD. I love that movie, and I think it's highly unlikely we'll ever see a Game SE DVD, Criterion or otherwise. :( But hey, that's why I picked up the LD! So now I have Game DTS LD, Game Criterion LD, and I want to pickup The Game Japanese R2 DVD for 16x9 playback. D'oh!!!!

Man, The Game really got shafted on DVD here in the US.

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I went to the used Record store again this weekend and walked away with (paying $9.99 each, of course): SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN - glossy jacket, seemingly un-touched disc; 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH (Pioneer Spec. Edition - sadly no extras) is wonderful disc and the picture is nice and sharp; INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (great-looking Republic version - widescreen, interview with Kevin McCarthy and trailer - all for $7.95). Also I grabbed a used DVD of INVADERS FROM MARS - it looks nowhere near as nice as the above lasers, but then this film has had a rough history.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

So, did you get the 7 Golden Vamps disc I directed you towards, MCODEZ?

I just got my Plague of the Zombies LD, and I love it. What great packaging. I have GOT to get the rest of the Elite Hammers now.

4. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Two words: "Hell" and "Yeah" (and preferably in that order)! :) :)

I was surprised by how easily I won the auction. I bookmarked the item just minutes after ebay started listing the laserdisc ....and I watched it just sit on one bid all week long. Then came that dreaded FINAL HOUR that can be nerve-wracking, with people waiting until the last minute to sneak a bid in. Thankfully, I didn't have to get into one of those "6 bids in the final minute" struggles that I've lost out on items with before (including a LD player that I lost within the last five seconds :( ).

BTW, did anybody in here (*looking in Dave's direction*) pick up the Japanese LD of FRIDAY THE 13TH:A NEW BEGINNING? That release featured the rare poster art on the LD cover with Tommy holding a machete and Jason's mask looming in the background. I dropped it off my "watch" list the day before, as I didn't feel like paying the $10 shipping from Sweden.

5. Dave

Dave Pimp

I saw that Friday 5 disc too. I hate that sequel so much, even the cooler artwork couldn't justify buying it. Not to mention the fact that it's in P&S.

6. wago70

I scored an awesome set on eBay: The Godzilla Death Chronicles box set which is 8 films in a "special version" (basically up to 20 min. of boring stuff taken out - the monster stuff is unedited). The films look GREAT! Especially DESTROY ALL MONSTERS which is so colorful and vibrant it makes the DVD look faded and old. The films featured: GODZILLA VS. KING KONG, MOTHRA, GHIDRAH, G VS. THE SEA MONSTER, G VS. MOTHRA, DESTROY ALL MONSTERS, G VS. MONSTER ZERO and SON OF GODZILLA.
    Each disc has the feature and trailer and a collection of stills of that particular film.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've never been a big Godzilla fan though. I do like the Mothra movies just because of the twin princesses (anime geek reference: The actresses who played them are named Yumi and Emi Ito. The twins in The Irresponsible Captain Tylor are named Yumi and Emi as well. Japanese in-joke for ya there).

Also, Mie Hama, who played Kissy Suzuki in You Only Live Twice is in King Kong vs. Godzilla. I'm not sure, but I think the other Bond girl from YOLT, Akiko Wakabayashi, is in KK vs Godzilla too.

8. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

Picked up the Stepfather. I love the film. Have no idea what aspect ratio i'll get when i receive it.

The thing was I placed my bid just to fuck around sorta. I forgot i bid on it even though i think it was just 11 hours from ending. The next morning I checked my email and saw i'm the proud owner of this film.

Who gives a fuck, i won it for $2.99 + $3.00 shippin.

Like i said, i love the film, but i just hope it's not all shitty. Is the DVD cumin around the corner??

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Basically, The Stepfather LD is the same as the VHS transfer, the only improvement you get is from the higher quality format, and the non-degradation over time.

But it's not "Re-mastered for LD" or anything like that. Yes, a DVD would be nice.

10. wago70

Courtesy of Big Emma - a coupla sci-fi classics! I got the CAV edition of WAR OF THE WORLDS and the Universal LD of THIS ISLAND EARTH (complete with Trailer and Still File - both missing from the out of print DVD). The color and picture on both of those were just amazing...esp War of the Worlds (to me, one of the scariest/creepiest films ever made - and a little timely in my eyes - replace the aliens with terrorists...anyway good flick!)
    Since I was sick this weekend, I stayed up all night Saturday with the above flicks along with viewings of TROG, I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE and ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN. All nice looking lasers esp. TROG which is razor sharp.

11. Sam

Sam Member

Just picked up:

The Freshman SEALED
    Juice SEALED
    Unborn
    The Visitors (80s Horror cheese)
    The Vanishing (93 version)
    Vice Versa (Fred Savage!)
    Halloween: The Curse of Mike Myers (the DVD sucks)
    Red Corner DTS
    Mrs. Doubtfire: Collector's Edition
    The Mummy's Shroud (Hammer Collection)

Not bad, if I must say so. That'll set me back about $60 or so.

12. wago70

I really missed out on these purchases:
    all the Encore LD's of the Universal Horror Films (Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Creature/Black Lagoon and a couple of others) for only $2.99 each (used, but really good condition). I made the mistake of leaving the store and then after deciding to buy them, went back and they were all gone except for Dracula. So I have Dracula on LD and it looks pretty nifty - don't have the DVD to compare, but it looks decent.
    I also bought the box set to ALIEN for only $5.95. I have this already, but I bought it used in 1993 for $70 (cheap for back then for this set). The box was scuffed and "loose" and the booklet had been handled too much by those who rented the set. So, this being only $5.95 and the box and booklet were ultra shiny and new-ish and the discs looked like they were never watched...not a scratch or blemish on them! Also, none of the discs have any signs of laser rot so I guess I scored okay which this film. I have many versions of ALIEN and don't mind a bit.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Aw, you're killing me man. I'd have bought those Universals in a heartbeat. Right now, Bride o Frank is very high on my LD to-buy list.

I only wish I could say I'm the one who snatched them from you, but alas, it was not me.

14. wago70

Bigemma's is still listing a sealed Bride of Frankenstien. Check it out. :D

15. Sam

Sam Member

Some fairly rare for LD finds for me:

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
    End of Days
    The Thin Red Line

16. Dave

Dave Pimp

Thin Red Line isn't rare. I suppose AP and EOD are, since they had smaller press runs. I know TRL did too, but the Japanese disc can be found fairly cheap.

My latest purchases: Tales from the Darkside Vol. 1 - Vol. 5

17. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

I haven't really been able to pick up many discs lately due to trying to pay off all my credit cards. It is really hard to pass on some of the titles I come across. But its the price I have to pay for trying to get out of debt.:cry:

18. wago70

I hear ya - I'm there myself now. Oh well - the only NON-purchase I ever regretted to this day was THE FRIGHTENERS Special Edition Box set. There I was at Virgin Mega stores staring at four copies on the shelf and saying to myself, "Nah, I'll save money if I order from Ken Cranes instead..."
    It turns out, KenCranes was out of stock, the film went OUT OF PRINT (I never understood why films go out of print - how in the HELL do they expect us to buy everything in the first month or so???) and Virgin sold out. ***sigh***

19. Dave

Dave Pimp

Well, towards the end of LD, all titles pretty much went out of print the day they were released. I mean, most titles could never get enough reorders to justify another pressing of even 500 titles. And towards the real end, most titles couldn't get the 500 titles to justify a single pressing. The only exceptions in regards to repressings were huge titles like Saving Private Ryan (primarily because there was no DVD at the time) and Star Wars: EP1 import (also no DVD at the time).

I tried like hell to get a repressing of The Frighteners. I contacted Pioneer and they said they had about 200 reorders for that set. I posted on alt.video.laserdisc and various HT web sites that people should order it if they have even a remote interest in owning it. Thing is, I don't think Pioneer had must interest in pressing any more regardless. $50 for a 4-disc box set was unheard of, and I'm sure they couldn't have made much money since only 500-1000 were pressed to begin with.

Anyway, a few months after me contacting Pioneer they announced the set was officially OOP and would never be repressed. Bastards.

20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

My "last" purchase was Evil Dead SE, but that was some years ago :(