My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Agent Z, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

I just got another copy of Deep Blue Sea. It was like $4.95 B-I-N on ebay. Don't think the seller realized it is on the rare side (I've seen it sell for $60+ on ebay). Also got I Know What You Did Last Summer, which I hate, and I only got because it too was only a few bucks and I thought it was the sequel (which was the last Columbia Tri-Star domestic LD - yes I am that much of a geek).

2. Sam

Sam Member

Interesting that Deep Blue Sea's that coveted now. I remember it going unsold for a while on Big Emma's at around that price (four to five bucks). Then again, a few cruddy HD DVDs like PS, I Love You are also fairly collectible items today.

3. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

I would imagine the demand for DBS is because of the fact that the Dolby Digital track is tons better on the LD than the DVD while the picture quality isn't that far removed from the DVD (at least according to The DVD-Laserdisc Newsletter). That and it might have had a low print run.

4. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935, James Whale)
    Phantom of the Paradise (1974, Brian De Palma)
    Ghost Story (1981, John Irvin)
    Scanners (1981, David Cronenberg)
    Christine (1983, John Carpenter)
    A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge [Elite] (1985, Jack Shoulder)
    Bloodsport (1988, Newt Arnold)
    Akira [Criterion] (1988, Katsuhiro Ôtomo)
    Lord of Illusions (1995, Clive Barker)

-UJ

5. Dave

Dave Pimp

I'm done. I know I said that like 5 posts ago, but I'm done. My car needs repair yet here I am buying more lasers. And I still owe the government some taxes from last year.

Stupid RecoBanchou. Man I'm glad the shipping is so expensive there but that places has a lot of stuff I want, and the prices on a lot of the domestic lasers are pretty damn good.

Attached Files:

6. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

Yeah, I stumbled upon that site by accident, 30 minutes later...I spent like $95!!! Good stuff indeed.

-UJ

7. grodd

grodd New Member

I loved laserdiscs. I bought the Halloween 2 (semi widescreen) import last month. The quality was terrible, but I had to have it.

There are a few left I still want but not many. I still want Evil Dead Jap import with the original color pallette. I want one of the later ED part 2 imports and Titan AE. The sound is amazing. I used to own a copy, but I sold it for a crazy amount of money. There's also maybe a handfull of other horror imports I would like, but not many.

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

Man I would love Titan A.E. but just for rarity sake.

There were only two copies of it sold on LDDB. First for $145; second for $569. But I'm sure that is just the one person who would pay that much. I think $100-$200 would be the average. But who knows. X-men seems to be pretty rare, too.

I am going to get a high end player within the next year (either during or after Christmas, depending on bonuses), so I'm willing to pick up some of these rare titles. But there is nothing I would spend more than $100 on. And even that would have to be something very rare - Titan, X-Men, etc. I may pickup Fight Club as that seems to be dropping in value these days. In general the most I would spend is $50 or so. And even then, when I do it, I think: I'm spending $50 for an analog LD when the blu-ray is ~$20!!! Crazy collectors.

9. grodd

grodd New Member

Toward the end of Laserdisc production a Japanese store was blowing everything out for $15 each. So I ordered 2 copies of Tarzan, Titan AE, X-men, The Sixth Sense and a couple of others. Shipping was 15 per disc. So the total was around $250-$300. I remember when I ordered it I didn't think I would get them.

But about 2 months later I was at an expensive restaurant and my debit card was denied. I didn't have anything else on me at the time. It was super embarrassing, a friend had to pay for me and my wife's meal. When I got home I found out my card had been charged for these discs. Another 2 weeks later I got all of them but only one copy of Titan AE.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I can't believe it should be that hard to find, is it? I see them on E-bay from time to time, usually not more than $20. I haven't looked in a while though. Has the price shot up?

I'm now sitting on 6 months of no LDs purchased. I'll have to do a count, on how many I have, to see if I'm still on pace with my 1 disc per week average. In other words, more than 52 discs purchased every year that I've been into laser.

Most of the discs I watch now are my Hong Kong lasers. They were never that good to begin with, so seeing them on my HDTV is actually an improvement. It's the newer discs that had pretty good transfers that suddenly look really bad on my screen. Odd.

I will say that a few weeks ago, I popped in the Tai Seng DVD of Dragon Inn, starring Maggie Cheung, Brigitte Lin, and Donnie Yen. I immediately realized the disc was non-anamorphic so I decided, fuck it, if I'm gonna watch something non-anamorphic, might as well watch it on laser. And I gotta say, after screening the opening scenes, then popping in the very same movie on laserdisc, the difference was really not that huge.

11. grodd

grodd New Member

I think the only Tai Seng laserdisc I have left is Drunken Master 2. I suspect there is a DVD of the same cut, (Where it shows him at the end w/brain damage) but I haven't looked.

The Evil Dead is on E-bay right now for 75 with no OBI. IM looking to pay around $35-$40 w/OBI.

This is the copy with the alternate color scheme.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Evil-Dead-81-La...c?hash=item58800494c1&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

No, there isn't! And you should hold on to that one!

The only legit copies of Drunken Master 2 on DVD are either the American release ("Legend of Drunken Master"), or a Hong Kong release. The American does remove the ending you mention, and the music is different as well. I don't know if the original language soundrack is present.

The Hong Kong disc does have the right language, the right music, and the complete version of the film. But for some strange reason, the disc is cut to 1.85:1 when it should be in full scope.

If you want unedited, original version, correct aspect ratio, the only way to go is Laser.

As far as Evil Dead Japanese, maybe I don't have the right disc then. This is the one I have:http://cgi.ebay.com/Evil-Dead-81-FS...c?hash=item58800494b5&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116. Is this not as good as the one you list? Gotta say, that one I have looks just as good as any of the DVD versions I've seen.

13. Dave

Dave Pimp

On sale here for $45, but unsure on obi. Doesn't look it.

http://www.laserdiscvault.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4041

14. grodd

grodd New Member

15. Dave

Dave Pimp

I see laserdisc vault advertising on a.v.laserdisc all the time. I can appreciate a store dedicated to LD but I think their prices are insane - you can always get cheaper on ebay or looking at Jeff's Used Movie Finder. But when I saw 40% off, I at least poke around on their site - still didn't buy anything. Keep in mind that sale price is very temporary. I did notice they sell laserdisc clocks, which are kind of cool. And you can get them in red, which is the actual Evil Dead 2 laserdisc. Pretty sad it's been reduced to a clock. I still have the laser (signed by Bruce), and will probably never watch it again now that I have the blu-ray, but it's still depressing to see what it's been reduced to. Either way, $50 for a LD clock? A crappy LD with a little motor inserted into it? Or $80 for a red one? No thanks...

Attached Files:

16. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

Hmmm . . . that's odd about Drunken Master 2. I wonder how correct the aspect ratio on my Singapore LD of DM2 is. It does have the brain damage ending. I think I'll check that out ASAP.

17. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

I wonder if buying this lot would be cheaper than that after shipping (and if you use a proxy bidding service like I do, after their markup.) Plus it comes with Evil Dead 2.

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p137486185

If the OBI isn't so important to you, there is one without for only 500 yen.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/100556940

18. grodd

grodd New Member

19. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

I usually use Celga.com to make bids on YahooJapan. Their (like every other proxy bidding service) is considerable (25%), but I can't think of too many other ways to get stuff from that site, short of knowing someone in Japan who'll make the bids and send the winnings to you.

I actually got my Laserdisc Player through them (Pioneer CLD-R7G.) It would have cost me twice as much for the same player off of Ebay.

20. Dave

Dave Pimp

RecoBanchou is having another 20% off sale, courtesy of Michael Jackson. You know you want it!

I'm avoiding this sale. Broke!

Speaking of Jackson, I would like to pickup his Great Video Hits laserdisc. Thriller is a must own and I loved Black or White, too.