My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Agent Z, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

I can't, I'm broke, too!

-UJ

2. bullruckle

bullruckle Guest

Hi,
    This is a great thread. I've just moved to Japan and have started collecting Laserdiscs for the first time. I've got right into them so Im very pleased to find that there are still others who want to talk the format. Nice one. Anyway my best finds so far have been:

Cliffhanger (squeezed edition)
    Nightmare on Elm Street 6, A: Freddy's Dead (with 3D ending)
    Star wars episode 1
    Night of the Living Dead (including poster signed by Romero)

Like the previous posters mentioned, Yahoo auction is awesome over here (luckily I have a Japanese girlfriend who can help me out).

Anyway nice to meet you all

3. Dave

Dave Pimp

Always good to have another LD love on the forum. I hope to pickup a few of those squeeze lasers someday. The only thing I dislike about them is that the subs are in the picture!

4. bullruckle

bullruckle Guest

The great thing about that squeeze Cliffhanger was that I found it in a junk store for 100 yen ($1) and it looks to be brand new.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hey! Finally bought an LD. First one in more than 6 months.
    I got The Who: Who's Better Who's Best. A collection of their videos. It doesn't look bad. I've found full frame LDs look best on my HDTV, more so than letterboxed stuff

6. Dave

Dave Pimp

Man is anyone else disgusted by the LD prices on ebay and lddb? I know Paff has complained about this, along with shipping prices, but this past week has been EYE OPENING.

First let me say that I understand certain discs are rare. I myself have bought some of them, and I'm on a kick to get some of these final 1999-2001 releases. I can understand that angle completely. But the prices even for "common" discs is absolutely insane. Two examples:

1) Baron Munchausen - just saw for the first time. Bought the blu @ Amazon for $14.99. I'm semi-interested in the Criterion LD as it has a different commentary / different extras. Prices are ridiculous. I understand it's LD-specific / somewhat rare, but searching completed items shows the disc actually sells for < $10. Yet most are buy it now for like $30+.

2) Brazil - Also just saw this. I was eyeballing the DVD at B&N but even at $23 for the 3-disc it's a bit more than I want to pay. I like the movie but really I just want to listen to the commentary and heard about all the production trouble. I figure I'll pickup the LD instead as it's sure to be cheap. Nope ; buy it now for $30-$100.

I mean, do these people asking outrageous prices ever actually sell anything on ebay?

If the LD and DVD are identical (Brazil ; though the newest DVD is 16x9), shouldn't the LD be cheaper?

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I agree, Island of Lost Souls was going for outrageous prices for awhile now, and I refused to pay more than $10 tops. Finally someone threw it up there and I bid, no one else did, and I got it for a little over $5 including S&H.

I guess they just need to sell a handful of LD's that way to make a living. The rest can rot and they'll still make money.

8. blooob

blooob Guest

Hi Guys,

I'm lookin for a Horror Film called "Nightmare Concert" Directed by Lucio Fulci.

I found me a copy of the Movie in Germany...apparently there is only one Laserdisc out there which was published under a lable called "Astro".

The good news is ...the LD got an english & german Audio-Track!! and i found me two copy's in Germany.

The Bad News is one Guy is selling the Ld only if i buy his whole Collection (he got a couple good disc's like TCM, Faces of Death, Bad Taste but his collection is very expensive) and the other one wants like 150 € for it.

There is one guy on lddb selling the disc for like 100$ but he already sold the disc...but didn't removed it from lddb. F*'ck!!!!!

Where can i find this LD cheaper???
    How good is the LD Picture Quality/Audio/ Cover???

Thank u very much!!!

Sorry for my bad english.

9. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

I had thought this title would have gone down in price since the DVD's been released, but they're still trying to cash in on the collector's mentality I suppose!

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

I think lasers were cheaper several years ago when DVD was still in its infancy, and I think that's due to everyone jumping ship. It almost seems now that they are trying to cash in on collectors like you said, or even new people coming aboard. I joined a facebook LD group and there are in fact new people just starting to toy around with LD.

11. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

There were no horror titles but my brother came home from work with a stack of free LD's for me! I got:

Die Hard (CBS FOX LD, widescreen)
    Die Hard with a Vengeance (Fox Video, LD, widescreen)
    Die Hard 2: Die Harder (CBS Fox, LD, widescreen)
    Empire of the Sun (Warner Home Video, LD)
    Apollo 13 (MCA Universal, LD, Letterboxed Edition)
    Stargate (Live Entertainment, LD, widescreen)
    Lethal Weapon (Warner Home Video, LD, widescreen)

None of the Die Hard movies had inner sleeves but I can't complain, I'd been thinking about picking up some replacement sleeves anyway.

12. Dave

Dave Pimp

RecoBanchou is having another 20% sale. Don't see much I want but thought I would pass it along.

13. Dave

Dave Pimp

Patiently waited for a good price on this. Lots of people had them for cheap but the $17.95 shipping price just wasn't work for me. I scored all three for $9.95 and $5.00 TOTAL shipping. Works.

Attached Files:

• sw.jpg
      sw.jpg
      File size:
      41 KB
      Views:
  14. Dave

Dave Pimp

And another one to continue on my quest to get all the LD releases from 1999 to 2001 (unlikely to EVER happen).

Only $10 shipped. Unsure why this one goes so cheap on ebay but I'm happy enough with that. They must have printed a bunch of these suckers.

Attached Files:

15. bullruckle

bullruckle Guest

Hey Dave nice find on the Star wars LDs.
    Just picked up sealed Bill and Teds excellent adventure and bogus journey for $2 each. Also got the uncut version of the wizard of speed and time for another $2. Nice.

16. Dave

Dave Pimp

This pretty much concludes my movie buying for the month. There is one auction I am watching but if it goes over $20, I have no interest in it.

Anyway, scored The Game Criterion for $30 shipped. Owned it before and never should have sold it (though sold it for close to $100). Seems unlikely these supplements will ever hit blu, though I would love to be wrong on that. I know the supps are available on an import DVD, but for $30 shipped, I'll stick with the laser for now.

Attached Files:

17. grodd

grodd New Member

Well I finally got the Evil Dead import off E-bay with the obi strip for only $30.99 with shipping. Finally I can compare the different versions.

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

Should have told you guys the same seller had another Game Criterion for sale on ebay for $50 B-I-N. It was brand new - still sealed. I knew it wouldn't last and sure enough it is gone.

I'm very tempted to pickup the Star Wars Special Edition box set from 1997. It sells for NOTHING on ebay. Literally one sold today for $10.50 and free shipping! Unreal. I guess now that I have the originals, though, I really am not crazy about the special editions. Mine as well wait for the blu-ray to come out someday.

19. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

Yeah, most SW LD buyers are looking for the Definitive Collection. None too many want the Special Edition, since that's available on DVD.

I mean, even the DC is available on DVD now, but it's the same transfer as the LD, but without the big booklet and documentary.

I couldn't be bothered with the extras on the DC, so the faces edition is quite enough for me!

20. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Dario Argento's door to darkness $3.99 woooot. Some people don't know the value of they're shit. lol! :lol:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2009