My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Agent Z, Jan 8, 2003.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

This version is different from the Special Editions released on DVD. Jabba the Hutt is the original rendering, he was done again for the updated Special Edition. There are other minor differences, including how Gretto shooting first was done.

Lucas has rewritten history a little bit, because the original Special Edition was so poorly executed. Some of the backlash against the backlash can't really appreciate the scope of the original complaints.

2. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

So which Laserdiscs are superior to the their DVD counterparts?

And also which Laserdiscs have never been released on DVD at all?

3. bullruckle

bullruckle Guest

Just picked up a few more LDs including Friday the 13th Uncut and Re-Animator the 10th Anniversary Elite Edition. The Re-animator was i surprise as I found it in a little junk shop in country Japan. Wonder how it made its journey all the way to there.

4. Dave

Dave Pimp

RecoBanchou is having 35% off lasers. Nearly everything, too. Definitely a few I'm eyeballing but if I do, it won't be until the last day (when I get paid), and that's if the titles are still there. Taking my son to Baltimore Comic Con in Oct so unlikely I will have much spending cash for this sale. :(

5. bullruckle

bullruckle Guest

Thanks for the 35% off tip for RecoBanchou :)
    Have just ordered the japanese editions of the Princess Bride and Stay Tuned. Two classics that I've been wanting to show my girlfriend for ages :eek:.

6. Dave

Dave Pimp

There are threads over on HTF that cover that. Laserdisc Vault has a 'not on DVD' section here - http://www.laserdiscvault.com/index.php?main_page=msrch&fnc=9

I consider my vast (and still growing, albeit slowly) Full Moon collection to be mostly 'not on DVD' since Full Moon is basically doing direct video to DVD transfers.

I think we have had a few but over the years many of our horror favorites have hit DVD by now. Not all, but many. At this point you have to look for extras that haven't hit DVD. The Criterion edition of Bram Stoker's Dracula has extras not on DVD. The Image SE of The Howling has extras - I think mostly an interview with David Allen in which he's pretty bitter about most of his work being cut out of the film. Psycho Signature Collection has an isolated score not on the DVD.

There's more, of course. For me, however, at this point LD is all about fun. I still watch them, but will I ever watch my Criterion Halloween LD again when I have the blu-ray? Probably not (though it too has extras not on DVD - like the Siskel & Ebert review). But many, I was happy as hell to get the Japanese LD of Halloween - love the artwork. And some day ROTLD2 Japanese LD will be fine, simply because I love the movie and think it would be cool to own.

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I just got a laserdisc player from a friend, but unfortunately it has no remote. The main thing I'm interested in with it are laserdisc exclusive commentaries. Is there any way to access these without having a remote? Or are there universal laserdisc remotes around if I can't find the one for my model?

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've never known a universal remote to access commentaries. You have to switch the audio from "digital" to "analog", and that's a function specific to LD. What brand player is it? If it's a Pioneer, you're in good luck as they're the most common. Even if it's NOT a Pioneer, it might still be manufactured by Pioneer and a Pioneer remote will work.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I went shopping around for a remote for mine, and the lowest I could find it for was $75. FUCK THAT. I spent less on the player. Infact you could buy a player w/ remote cheaper.

10. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

You could look for you a Harmony universal remote. I have a Pioneer LD player and the Harmony works just fine on it.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

But does it do the digital/analog switch? For listening to commentaries? That's a function unique to LD.

12. DeathDealer

Cool thoughts.

Which Laserdisc players are considered topline in this day n' age?

Also, how does PAL and NTSC work in Laserdiscs?

13. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

There is no such thing as pal and ntsc LD's. They are all universal.

14. DeathDealer

So by definition, I could play any laserdisc on any laserdisc player?

15. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

None of the disc's I just pulled off the shelf say NTSC or PAL but I'm pretty sure that there are PAL and NTSC discs and, unless you have a multi-format player, you won't be able to play one in the other. Search a title on lddb and you'll see that some are listed as NTSC and others as PAL. This guy on another forum asked a similar question. Also, see here (I just skimmed it so maybe I'm missing something). Perhaps most players, after a certain point, supported both/had converters? I'm guessing no because I was shopping for a brand new LD player when DVD was starting to take over (thought I'd get a deal...) and the guy I was going to have order one for me could only find one that did both (and it was quite expensive, iirc) and all the others only did NTSC. Then again, I'm not expert on this format, for all I know he was trying to rip me off...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  16. Dave

Dave Pimp

There are definitely PAL and NTSC lasers, which need a PAL or NTSC player and appropriate TV in order to work. Lots of lasers were released overseas in the UK and other areas.

As for which players are the best, this site has a good breakdown http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/askjosh.htm#hardware

17. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

Yeah,it will. You have to download the setting onto the remote through a cable. Comes with a cd program for doing that. All you have to do is add the player brand name and model number. It will do anything your laserdisc player will do.

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Dave is right here...there are PAL and NTSC lasers. But most lasers you'd buy would be American, Japanese, or from Hong Kong, and those are all NTSC.

Only a handful of times have I picked up a laserdisc while browsing a shop or seen one on E-bay that was PAL.

19. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

Man, I just dropped like $240 at Recobanchou! They have some great stuff there at great prices...but they rape you with the shipping.

-UJ

20. Dave

Dave Pimp

$240!!!! Holy shit! What did you get?

Their shipping is a bit funky. Obviously from Japan it costs a lot. I never order more than 2 discs at a time. For some reason the price skyrockets at 3 discs. Seems like it would be cheaper to 2 at a time instead.