My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Agent Z, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

I bought a nice gaggle of B-flicks!!

The Beastmaster [Miracle Master - Japan Import]
    Dark Planet
    Deathstalker
    Deathstalker III: Warriors From Hell
    Future Hunters
    Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

Piranha 2 [Flying Killers - Japan Import]
    Space Rage [Japan Import]
    Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
    Stranded
    The Time Guardian
    Time Runner

The Toxic Avenger (Rare R-rated Black Cover Version)
    Yor: The Hunter from the Future

Yeah, little pricey for LD's but I had some retroactive pay on my last check...thought I'd indulge.

-UJ

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Damn! Good for you. I love looking at all the titles/artwork (they do great scans) over there and I would love to buy some for artwork alone, but I can't justify spending the cash. I mean, Friday 8 with Japanese subtitles? It must have been like $20 or so, right? Too much for my blood!

3. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

"Friday VIII," no, actually it was the standard U.S. release, with the original poster art/VHS art. Don't know if you've noticed, but the original "Friday" line has been scarce lately on LD, and if you can find them, they are usually beat to hell and or expensive (usually over $20). This one was completely mint, couldn't pass it up...and at the end, you can say I paid $17 all in for it.

The Japan imports I snagged this time round was for "Pirahna 2", "Beastmaster" and "Space Rage." I usually only buy from there, when they have their sales. They just had one, which coincided with my retro-check, so I took advantage.

-UJ

4. welb25

welb25 New Member

I just snagged the original Herald Videogram Japanese LD of Evil Dead. As discussed in another thread, the framing and color timing is way different than in the more recent Elite and AB transfers. I much prefer this version and the print was much cleaner than I would expect from a 24 year old LD.

On a side note, this is also the first LD in my collection to only have an analog track and it also has no chapter stops.

5. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

I just snagged me a copy of Beyond the Door III on LD, which has never been on DVD. I never saw it either, so it will be a treat to watch this Halloween season. Gotta love Bo Svenson!

[​IMG]

-UJ

6. Dave

Dave Pimp

Another sale at RecoBanchou! $7.77 each for a select number of lasers.

7. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Actually its been released to DVD under its alternate title AMOK TRAIN.

http://www.amazon.com/Amok-Train/dp/B0011NVC5C

8. bullruckle

bullruckle Guest

All right, I just got the Lethal Weapon Directors Cut box set. It's going to be a late night tonight.

9. grodd

grodd New Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Woo hoo!

Just won a tightly contested auction on E-bay for Seeding of a Ghost. I'll still get the DVD of it, but I dig those 80s era Hong Kong movies on LD. Something about the dual subtitles is just so grindhouse-y

11. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

I've often wondered that myself. It can't be all that good for a 1988 transfer. According to Lddb only exclusive extra it seems to have is a poster (gatefold sized.)

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/39660/00LS-32/Sanguelia-(Zombi-2)-(1979)

12. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

The majority of Laserdiscs out there in the world are NTSC, but there are PAL discs out there too. So to play both you would need a dual format player. From what I remember looking through various forums, the best dual format player (PAL&NTSC) LD player is the Pioneer CLD-D925

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_cld-d925/cld-d925.htm

Just have to keep in mind, the PAL LD market was rather small, so there aren't too many exclusive titles to that format. Though there is one I would like to have that is NOT out on NTSC LD . . .

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/19081/EE-1120/Inferno-(1980)

13. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

Oh yeah, and I recently picked up . . .

I Come in Peace (not available on DVD, unless you live in Australia)
    Giant Robo (US Releases) 1-4
    Tombs of the Blind Dead

14. Agentsusp

Agentsusp Member

I Come in Peace had a really good DVD release in the UK under the title "Dark Angel"

15. Dave

Dave Pimp

RecoBanchou sale again! 31% off Halloween sale and it's all horror and sci-fi lasers, though there are tons they didn't discount. There's only 205 on sale right now. I almost bit but talked myself out of it.

Also, on top of the sale, they have a coupon code of cccandy for an additional $5.00 off. Not sure if that is tied to your email address or not; it is supposed to be for email subscribers.

Anyway, I never posted my two buys from their last sale:

1) Amistad ; very underrated. I had actually been eye'balling the domestic LD that they also have in stock (and a steal at $10.99) but when the Japanese gatefold disc went on sale for $7.77, I could not resist.

2) Peacemaker (Clooney version). This is the Japanese disc and since it was on sale for $7.77, well, you know the drill.

Unfortunately the shipping made the discs average $20/pop, but I was willing to pay that so it worked out for the best.

Attached Files:

16. Dave

Dave Pimp

Also, if anyone is an artwork nut like me, they have the awesome Jap. Halloween LD on sale for $17.24, plus the $5.00 coupon for $12.24 + shipping (which puts it back up to like $30).

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

OK, got my disc of Seeding of a Ghost in today. Pop it in, get the Shaw Bros logo, and it just doesn't look right. Can't put my finger on it. Finally, I get to a scene on a highway, and it becomes obvious. The traffic lights are OVALS instead of circles, and the same with a No U-Turn sign. The red circle with the slash in it is an elongated oval instead of a circle.

I think it's totally accidental, but this LD is actually ANAMORPHIC! I unsqueezed it with the format setting on the HDTV, and the aspect ratio looks correct. I say accidental, because it looks a little TOO stretched when I do this, but it's closer to correct ratio than when I leave it in 4:3.

Pretty cool little accident...

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

My movie budget is shot for the month but when I got an email that Matrix was on lddb for $20, I bit. Great price for that disc. It's a seller with decent feedback (58) so I should actually get it.

Love LDDB instant notification and love getting email pushed directly to my phone.

Attached Files:

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's not unheard of for a company to crop a scope film's far edges and then squeezing the rest in to be 4:3. Can't say I've ever seen in in action though.

So Dave, is this just a collector thing for The Matrix? Because I can't see any technical reason to pay $20 when the Blu-ray's out and about.

20. Dave

Dave Pimp

Yeah I would like to own all last lasers from 1999-2001. I will never get them all as I'm not willing to pay the prices some of them command. But $20 for Matrix is a good deal.

I agree with what you are saying. A co-worker gives me shit all the time about laserdisc. When he first found out, he asked why I didn't have blu-ray. I told him I did. So he asked why I still get lasers. I told him it was pretty much a collector thing. But he laughs when I tell him I paid $40 or something for a laserdisc when the blu-ray is like $15.