My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Agent Z, Jan 8, 2003.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I was mostly curious if there was something I didn't know about that edition. Like how many LDs have better sound, etc.

I'm not judging you, I've spent plenty on LD's myself. The Wizard of Speed and Time cost me more than I care to admit.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

My latest buy is not a laserdisc, nor was it even a buy. We're doing an e-waste collection at work, and when I went to drop off an old receiver and some turntables, I saw a Pioneer DVL-700 sitting on top of the stack. Needless to say, it's in the trunk of my car now.

As anyone here can attest, I was not a big fan of the LD-DVD combi players, but I've read that the LD performance on this thing was of pretty high standard. Can't wait to go home and plug it in...

3. grodd

grodd New Member

The laserdisc has different color timing. There is less green added throughout the movie which later releases have. Also it has a PCM track.

4. Dave

Dave Pimp

Nice score, Paff. Let us know how it turns out. I have very much been contemplating purchasing a new LD player. Prices on some of these high end places have fallen in recent years and are much more affordable, though still very expensive. I think everyone that wanted a high end player has bought one, so the market has dried up somewhat. I see those LD-S9 and HLD-X9s pop up on ebay and usually they do not sell unless the price is cheap.

I'm about 99% certain my year 'bonus check purchase' for my house is going to be a flat screen TV for my bedroom (currently no TV), but I very much considered getting a high end LD player. The reality is I will get a lot more use out of the TV as I have recently fallen in love with my bed and can no longer do the 'single guy thing' of falling asleep on the couch watching TV. Having said all that, if a deal comes up for a nice player between now and the time I get my bonus, I might reconsider.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, the DVL-700 powers on, but the LD dish does not open all the way, and the disc does not start playing.

Luckily, since it cost me $0, I can be totally wild and crazy in attempting to repair it.

6. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

Last time that happened to me (tray not opening all the way) a disc was stuck in there.

Hopefully that fix will be as easy as it was for me!

7. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

I hope that's not the case, because I'm going to be acquiring a pretty hi-end model in the very near future and might just be reselling it on ebay for profit.

That is after I compare it to my CLD-R7G and ponder if I want to keep it or not.

8. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

9. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

10. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

Might be a brick, but it's a brick I sold for close to $1000!

11. bullruckle

bullruckle Guest

just got the 8 LD set Beatles Anthology off of Yahoo Action Japan for a steal.

12. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

Finally snagged "World Gone Wild" on Laserdisc...a post-apocalyptic 80's gem with an awesome cast of Bruce Dern, Michael Pare, Catherine Mary Stewart and Adam Ant. I can finally rid of my VHS copy.

Not on DVD yet...but it just screams for a Blue Underground release, maybe Bill Lustig will answer.

[​IMG]

-UJ

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

I still don't have a player and don't know if I ever will, but that didn't stop me from buying my first LDs over the weekend. Picked up a few films I really enjoy in one of those "ahh, what the hell moments":

The Thing
    Alien
    Risky Business
    First Blood

I still do actively check out my pawn shops for them...one day I'll pick one up on the cheap and see what all this old school fuss is about!

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

I hope that was The Thing Signature Edition w/special features. Probably not!

As for the fuss, for someone (you) that went VHS-DVD-Blu-ray, you will be disappointed. Remember that LD is only a small step above VHS...

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Same with Alien!

16. bullruckle

bullruckle Guest

So did nobody get any discs for Christmas?

I went to the electronics area of Osaka during the winter break and was pleasantly surprised to find a couple of stores that had a few hundred second hand LD's for sale all at $3 each. Picked up about 30 odd including They Live, Dark City, Casper DTS and Jaws: special collection.

17. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

Didn't get any discs, but I did give some away as gifts.

Gave my Mom and Stepdad the double feature disc set of George Pal's Atlantis: The Lost Continent/The Power (the former she's been trying to get see for a while since it's not on R1 DVD) as well as some other old movies (like Tom Jones and The Philadelphia Story) on LD that I picked up cheap.

Gave my brother an LD of the 80s/90s rock band Living Colour as he's been listening to that band a lot lately.

(oh yeah, and I gave them all LD players couple years back.)

I guess I got myself It Came From Hollywood. Been searching for that title for-freakin-ever!

18. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

If LD is "only a small step above VHS" then Blu-Ray must only be a micro-step above DVD.

19. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Last weekend, I picked up Time Bandits and Bride of Reanimator for a grand total of $5.
    Time Bandits isn't appropriate to the forum, so I won't discuss it here.
    ---
    Bride of Reanimator is a fun flick. In typical sequel fashion, it is utterly inferior to the original; it is, however, definitely a good helping of good ol' fashion fun with a more modern dash of gore. There are also at least two instances of reasonably good stop-motion (such as the eyeball-finger creature) that I definitely appreciate (I still prefer good stop-motion to all but the absolute best CGI.) In contrast to the decent gore and stop-motion effect, there are also some truly poor green screen effect (bat wings on a flying severed head???) that are laughable at best.
    The transfer is god awful. Obviously from a VHS master, detail is lacking, the image is noisy, and often the black-levels often TOO deep to the point of being oppressive and making it difficult to follow the action on screen. IMDB notes that this is a pan and scan transfer- it may be, I don't have a widescreen DVD for comparison- but judging from the framing, it seems possible that this is actually an open matte transfer. I have high expectation for an Image Entertainment horror release from 1991, but this disc is very poor. This is one of the worst discs in my collection- with only the color depth being an improvement over my DiscoVision-era Dirty Harry release (nothing can be worse than my defective MGM pressing of 2010 with its Side B being completely by crosstalk more than 1/3 the image height.)
    Despite my reservations, I do not own this title on DVD and, as such, feel it was well worth my $2.

20. housefull

housefull Guest

JAWS:Signature Collection-finally picked this one up after bidding on numerous copies of it over the past few months. At one point, I was bidding up to $45 (which would have been $57 after the S&H) on one unopened set, but that didn't end up meeting the seller's reserve. I picked this one up near-mint (with the novel, soundtrack cd, and the FULL documentary) for $28 shipped..