My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Agent Z, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

In all likelihood yes (unless it's something I've got on DVD obviously). Toss me a list when you get a chance.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I know there's several I would be easily willing to part with, especially since going Blu-Ray

Here is a list off the top of my head. There could be more. Only stipulation is that I'll make you take ALL.

Carrie (WS)
    Enter The Dragon (WS)
    The Wild Bunch (WS)
    Goldeneye (WS)
    The Living Daylights (WS)
    La Femme Nikita (WS)

there could be more

3. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Haha that'd be two copies of Nikita and Living Daylights but I can always trade them in for credit at a used shop here that actually sells LDs. I'd take all depending on the price of course.
    Lemme know.

4. RidgeShark

RidgeShark New Member

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Bought my first discs in a long time, at Amoeba in LA. All Hong Kong movies.

Swordsman
    Tai Chi Master
    Tai Chi 2
    New Legend of Shaolin

6. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

First new discs in about six months... maybe even longer:
    Don't Look Now;
    Cat People (1982); &
    The Dead Zone.

7. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

After going Blu last month, one of my first purchases was Escape From New York. Thanks to the lovely folks at MGM who didn't put any bonus features on the Blu (or the bare bones DVD I've had awhile), I bought the Collector's Edition of Escape on Laserdisc for $8 shipped, just for the Carpenter/Russell commentary & featurette showing clips from the deleted opening bank robbery scene. Laserdisc still lives!!! Had to have that commentary dammmit!!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I believe that stuff is on the SE DVD I have. I didn't buy the Blu-Ray because of reviews and the fact that I watched an HD print on Universal HD that didn't impress me. I knew that we'd get the same BS with Blu-Rays. The studios aren't bothering with remastering a lot of films and don't even port the special features that they have on file. That's why I'm real picky on what I'm buying on Blu, unless it is dirt cheap!

9. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Shannafey, contratulations on ten years under the influence! (of Horrordvds.com that is :) )

10. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

I only bought the blu for 3 reasons-
    !- I only had the bare bones flipper DVD
    2- $10 at Walmart
    3- 5.1 DTS HD Audio!!!!
    Other than that, I'm sure the video transfer's not that much better than the SE DVD. but I was NOT paying more than $10 for an SE DVD!

and seconded on that congratulations Shannafey. Nice to still see familiar names from my early days of horror film collecting & discussion, not to mention still talking & utilizing a format that's been obsolete for over 10 years.

11. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Yes, the disc sounds pretty darned good.
    However, I disagree that its not that much better than the SE DVD. Despite the fact that this film will probably never look great, the Blu-ray is a HUGE improvement over the DVD- at least on a very large screen.

12. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Thanks for the info. makes me feel better, especially when I get a 1080P LCD. Since going Blu, I'm staying away from DVD's,

13. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

No prob...
    The statement that many Blus of catalog titles are only marginal upgrades from their DVD counterparts is very dependent on perspective. If you are watching them on your PC monitor or a 32-42" LCD, then that statement may well be true. However, the bigger you get, the more rapidly the superiority of even the weakest Blu-rays quickly becomes clear (with an exception of a handful of truly terrible titles that may actually be worse than their DVD counterparts do to an unforgiveable faux paux during the transfer or authoring process.)
    Watching on my 63" plasma, differences in any but the weakest discs are immediately apparent whereas they may not be on my 42" LCD in the bedroom. However, watching even the weakest Blus (again, with an exception of a handful of truly terrible discs) projected on my 10 foot screen, the difference is immediately apparent and their superiority undeniable. Even with a great upscaler such as the QDEo in the Oppo BDP-93.
    I know we're getting off topic, so I'll return to recent laserdisc buys...:D
    The LD of Don't Look Now has some SERIOUS interlacing issues. :(

14. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Same with Escape From NY, but since I have the blu, I don't mind having those problems, I just really wanted the extras to go along with The Thing and Big Trouble In Little China Special Editions. Carpenter and Russell are great talkers. Also, it's an Image LD, which are always nice.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Haven't bought any since my last post here, and probably won't buy too many more. I just moved to a new condo, bought two of those record store-style racks I posted about in another thread, and they wouldn't even hold all my discs. I'm going through the collection and seeing what I can get rid of (stuff I've re-bought on DVD or Blu Ray, or some major dreck that I got at blowout sales).

First disc I tried watching in my new place was Wheels on Meals, the Jackie Chan flick. Pretty much unwatchable, but I think I felt the same way when I was watching LDs on a 4x3 screen. That transfer is just ass.

Last night though, I watched L-O-V-E Love. Pretty forgettable Hong Kong comedy romance, only made tolerable in the fact that it takes place at a beauty pageant, and two of the contestants are Shu Qi and Vivian Hsu. I have to admit, it looked fairly decent. I mean, no one's gonna mistake it for a Blu Ray or a DVD, but it was quite watchable. I think it's because my new setup is a couple of feet farther away than at my last place, and the added distance only helps things.

It'll probably go to shit again once I get a larger screen....

16. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

[​IMG]

Snagged this little gem yesterday. Would make a great double feature with "Teen Wolf".

-UJ

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

Not going to go nuts buying lasers again. However, I am going to pickup a few here and there. These two arrived yesterday.

Attached Files:

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Any luck with the Dawn of the Dead Conclusion set?

19. Dave

Dave Pimp

Bought it but won't be here for a while. It will likely be resold for a profit.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I like that Elite Dawn of the Dead box set. It has the commercial that damn near scared the life out of me in 1979, although I'm sure that's on one of the many DVD releases out there.