My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Agent Z, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

This picture is really just one movie and some box set jackets.

The movie, or series rather, is V The Final Battle. One of the last domestic laser box sets. I think I owned it once before, or at the least lease I owned The Original Miniseries. Regardless, I'll own them both again soon enough - The Original Miniseries is on the way.

The protective sleeves are Chicago One Stop - the best sleeves that were ever made for laser. I can't find anymore of the single disc sleeves, but I still have about 10 or so left so I'm good for a bit on that. I found one source for their box set sleeves and there are only 39 left, so I got 5. I may get a few more to be safe.

They place selling the sleeves threw in a copy of Copycat. I thought that was pretty cool until I realized disc 2 is missing. Bastards. I think I'm just going to toss it, as much as I will pain me to throw away a laserdisc.

Attached Files:

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

I bought several over the past few weeks. I'm done buying for a while.

I got:

Phantasm box (signature series)
    Frighteners box (had it before but sold it when it was commanding high prices)
    Star Wars Ep One
    V Original Miniseries and Final Battle
    American Pie
    Titanic
    Saving Private Ryan

I think that's about it. I'll continue monitoring for good prices on later LD releases and Full Moon flicks. Those are mainly what I'm looking for. I would like to get the Hellraiser box if I can ever find it cheap.

I updated my LD list here: http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?action=list&user=davida

I'm still missing about 10 or so lasers from my collection; I need to go through and verify everything.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

That's a pretty shewd move, if you indeed turned a healthy profit, and still were able to rebuy it at a much more reasonable price. You get the money, and still keep the disc. Hats off.

I just bought my first laser in probably 3-4 years. The Resurrected, the Dan O'Bannon adaptation of Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. It was on my Netflix queue, but then got moved off as I guess they no longer have the DVD available. A quick search on this site shows that the only DVDs of it were full frame anyway, and they're commanding a decent price on E-bay. The LDs were going for $10-15. I best offered one down to $7.50.

I might be buying a few more, if this HD+ is everything Dave says it is.

4. Dave

Dave Pimp

That is what I did, yes.

I will pickup the blu, too. I never thought (as my LD review indicates) that we would get a DVD (or HD, for that matter) release with all the extras in tact.

5. Dave

Dave Pimp

16x9 laser, called SQUEEZE discs in Japan. There are maybe a dozen or so.

This is my first. Thx certified; supposed to be a great transfer.

6. bigmix007

bigmix007 Member

Just ordered Student Bodies, From dusk til dawn, Alien Resurrection, and Army of darkness.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Ooh. That's interesting. I wonder if I should get some myself. My scaler has an "anamorphic" option that would unsqueeze a 16x9 disc.

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

They can be pricey, Paff. There were a few in the US - Grumpy Old Men, Free Willy, and Fugitive. I got a good price on T2 and I know the resale value is high, so I jumped on it. I have Cliffhanger on the way; that was $40.

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Got a bunch here recently.
    Poltergeist CAV
    Poltergeist 2
    Dr. Alien (that was a fun movie!)
    Manhunter
    Leviathan
    Candyman
    Hellraiser 3
    Hellraiser 4

All domestic releases.

The Poltergeist CAV set was impressive IMO. It looked good (as good as LD can get) on my 42" LCD screen. Sound was amazing. I really need to get that movie on blu-ray.

Surprised to see a behind the scenes featurette that is still exclusive to that set.

10. bigmix007

bigmix007 Member

Just picked up the Mangler, Tourist Trap, Darkman 3 and American Werewolf in Paris

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  11. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Some years back I sold a large portion of my laserdisc collection. One casualty of this purge was the Criterion release of Carrie. This shouldn't of happened! I hadn't even listened to the commentary!

Well, I recently righted this blunder by purchasing a copy on ebay. Still sealed, and with the gold sticker on the front which promises, "Much More Than Just The Movie." I finally gave the track a listen, and it's really quite good. I learned a few new facts (or were they one's I had known but had forgotten?), and had a good time as always watching the film.

I had forgotten that it's a full screen presentation. It sort of starts off letterboxed but transitions to full frame. All the same, I'm glad to have a copy again.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Disagree!

13. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Okay, as long as I have a copy too. I forgot to mention, my old dual sided player has long since bit the dust. I'm left with one that can play one side only before you have to get up and manually flip the disc. Carrie is spread across four sides, so it was a bit of a stilted viewing experience.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  14. Dave

Dave Pimp

15 years later and its mine. Damn Image for canceling the domestic disc. Subtitles in black bars and my scaler blocks them, so I am happy.

15. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

When I collected laser disc there was no internet, word of mouth and biased magazine articles about laser rot made me move onto the short lived videocd/moviecd-format.

16. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just bought a handful of Lasers on eBay this past weekend. Was mainly on the lookout for discs featuring exclusive supplements. My haul included:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956): Criterion
    Poltergeist
    Parents
    Fatal Attraction: Paramount Director's Series
    Some Like It Hot: Criterion
    High Noon: Criterion

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I picked up the Cat People (1942) laserdisc for the Bruce Eder commentary since it didn't port over to the blu-ray. I've already ripped the commentary off the disc and look forward to combining the two.

Workshed likes this.