My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Agent Z, Jan 8, 2003.

1. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Does your Austin Powers LD have the Comedy Central documentary Canned Ham: The Dr. Evil Story? If not, then I'll pick up the DVD (it's an easter egg on the DVD).

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

The Austin Powers LD is bare bones (the sequel is, anyway).

Towards the end of LD everything that did manage to get released was essentially bare bones. And that is exactly what Image and Pioneer were doing - throwing us bones. Deep Blue Sea, Austin Powers, End of Days, etc. - all had SE DVDs, all were bare bones LDs.

What were some of the last SE lasers? I know there was The Matrix, Blair Witch, The Sixth Day (in Japan - had all of the SE DVD extras), Sixth Sense (also in Japan).

3. Blade

Blade Guest

I am new to the laserdisc game, but I think I got some good deals if you ask me. I got these titles:

- Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition (the one with DD 5.1 and black cover) - $26
    - Re-Animator 10th An. Ed. (Elite) - $5
    - Hellraiser III (widescreen with documentary) - $5
    - A Fistfull of Dynamite (great Sergio Leone western, letterbox long version) - $5

I can also get the Dracula Criterion Collection for $20. Is this worth the high price (or isn't that a high price)? There are some great extra's on there, allthough I recently bought the Superbit DVD.

4. Dave

Dave Pimp

Blade:

Be careful on the Criterion Dracula, as there are two versions. One is essentially barebones (I think it has a doc. on it, though) and the other is a 3-disc SE. You want the 3-disc SE. It is worth it, BTW (see my review on this site).

Star Wars SE box is interesting. After TPM hit theaters, the price skyrocketed. Now that everyone seems to know that at least the SEs are going to hit DVD, the LD box price has plummeted. I'm not much of a Star Wars fan either way. I bought the last THX releases of the original trilogy when they dropped to $10.00 each, but I ended up trading them. Amusingly enough, those have now increased in value since Lucas doesn't seem to have any intention of releasing the original trilogy onto DVD.

5. Blade

Blade Guest

I'll always hang on to those Star Ways LD's, because I LOVE laserdisc packaging. Some covers are beautifull. The Dracula laserdisc is the 3-disc edition, so I guess I'll buy it.

6. Dave

Dave Pimp

The picture isn't that good on the Criterion LD, but the extras are worth $20.00 no doubt. Of course, you're talking to someone who is a big fan of the movie. That Criterion LD will never hit DVD (well, more than likely it won't). Columbia was supposed to release an SE years ago, but it seem to have been canned or indefinitely delayed.

7. Blade

Blade Guest

Today I got Lifeforce (extended European version) and Starship Troopers for $10 each. Nice

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

I was thinking about picking up the Japanese Starship Troopers LD. It's gatefold and has a gorgeous jacket. I can get it for about $35.00. I have the SE DVD, the 2-disc SE DVD, but you can never get enough Troopers. I love that movie, and I've loved it since it hit theaters. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Any Gamera fans here? I just watched these Import LD's: Gamera vs. Zigra and Gamera vs. Guiron. In widescreen (I mean really WIDE screen - the image is wider than the usual 2.35:1 flick) and the picture on these are very, very sharp and clean and the color is pretty good. No doubt newer re-mastered versions would look better, but for such early-produced LD's they rival some DVDs to my eyes.

10. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

I didn't pay for it, but I scored The Beatles Anthology LD set, cause my Dad bought the new DVD release of it, and passed down the LD boxset to me

11. Dave

Dave Pimp

Not a huge fan, but I do have the Synapse release of the first Gamera movie. It's a great disc.

12. Blade

Blade Guest

I just got the following 2 titles from Ebay:

Hellraiser Deluxe Collector's Editition - $41
    That's alot of money for a laserdisc, but it's probably my favourite horror movie of all time, so I'm a big fan, and a signed copie of Hellraiser is woth it for me.

Nightmare On Elm Street The Special Collector's Edition - $15
    Great cover and some extra's that are not on the dvd, plus I didn't pay to much I think.

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

$15 is a good price for the NOES LD. It seems to fluctuate wildly in price. I got mine for about $15, but the copy on ebay before that got about $40!
    I've been trying to get one of those Hellraiser sets, but don't wanna spend the $ they're commanding.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah. I'd agree. $15 for that Elm Street disc is a steal. I wanna get one myself someday. Of course, I'll have to keep my standard edition, seeing as it was signed by Heather Langenkamp and all...

And the Hellraiser box is a real nice piece of work. I'm not a huge fan of the movie, but I think if you are, it's a must-have.

15. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

The only LDs I ever bought were from someone on here a while back. I got them all for like $16 shipped. I may have gotten another, but I haven't looked at them for a while, so I'm not sure.

Zombie (x2)
    Demons
    Demons 2
    Tenebre
    Les Miserables (He threw it in. I don't know what it is.)

16. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Does this mean you have two copies of Zombie? Are they the Roan Group special editions? You want to come off of one of them? PM me, and we'll make arrangements.

17. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

They are the Roan Group SEs, but I gave one of them to a buddy of mine a while back.

18. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Did anyone ever get the Japanese editions of ZOMBIE? They go for big bucks on eBay and I want one!

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

really...

I once had one of the Japanese editions. It was called "Sanguelia". That the one you're talking about?

I ended up selling it back to the store I bought it from for $10. Ugh.

But, it's a pretty crappy version. Doesn't hold a candle to the Roan disc.

20. Aceman

Aceman Guest

I will make a copy of any LD I have to DVD!! And I have alot of rare ones! I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder! Picture comes out beutiful! :evil:
    I will be making LD copies of "Scarecrows" onto DVD. This is the Unrated version! I just got it!