My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Agent Z, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

Subspecies 2 is up on the LD finder. $25 is expensive, though. Otherwise, keep checking on ebay. They do show from time to time.

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Peeped out Mordrid last night. It was airight IMO, just a nude scene and a few cussords away from being a "kiddie" movie really though.
    Also watched The Frighteners "Fun" cut again, that one nevers gets old.
    I came across this on ebay the other day. $250! The bootleg dvds that apartently are now cool to sell on ebay (they are there all the time, some with all the extras except commentary, I guess you can't do multipule audio tracks on dvd-r's?!?) haven't hurt the laserdisc set at all.
    Thanks again Dave!

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

From Big Emma's Halloween sale last month I got
    Raven/Masque of the Red Death
    Rasputin the Mad Monk
    Cannibal Ferox

I forgot that Ferox includes a barf bag and 45rpm vinyl single, that was a nice little surprise

And yesterday I picked up Straw Dogs

4. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Nice score Paff.

The Cannibal Ferox disc is awesome. I love the barf bag, very nice touch.

5. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

eyes of fie
    dirtbike kid
    cassandra

dirt bike kid was a score!! the other two were sleepers

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I just finished watching it, and as a traditional SFX fan I must say that this is perhaps the best I've seen from Full Moon. The stop motion was quite good, besides a scene with a stop motion person. The optical effects are also very well done. The movie itself is pretty good, direction's pretty bland but the art direction is very Full Moon. There is a bit of a fuzzy logic to the plot and it gets real corny at the very end. I couldn't help but laugh.

The LD is really good too, there's a pretty extensive behind the scenes which explains a lot more of the SFX work than most of the other VideoZones I've seen do. There's also a segement with KBN with talks a lot about their SFX as well. Sure it's nothing new nore a step by step guide, but it's interesting none the less.

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

For some reason, I've always been intrigued by David Allen after seeing how seemingly pissed he was during his Howling LD interview. I've enjoyed seeing a closer look at his work on several of the Full Moon video zones. And I agree - the stop motion with the person in it was weak.

As for recent LD purchases...

I just picked up Dark City DTS LD. What's nice about this disc is it has the two commentary tracks that the DVD has, whereas the AC-3 LD only has one commentary track.

I keep saying this, but I really do have to slow down on my purchases as of late. I'm half justifying it by the fact I'm working so much overtime this month. I've been doing good on not buying many DVDs. I just need to cut back on the lasers. The only other order I'm planning on placing, probably later this month, will be with Ross Exchange.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Which discs were you planning to purchase from Ross? (In case they're ones I've been eyeing....lol)

Actually, I just perused his list today, and he has a copy of the ultra rare documentary Hearts of Darkness, the making of Apocalypse Now. He still gets in some good ones...

9. Dave

Dave Pimp

They had a couple of Full Moon discs I wanted. I may call them today, actually. I'll let you know how I make out.

10. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

I've never used Ross before...what do they charge for shipping? how do they ship?

11. Dave

Dave Pimp

Shipping is $5.00 + $1.00 per title. That's a bit expensive, IMO. Not crazy expensive, but they're are definitely profiting from shipping.

12. chrishicks

wow!!! I guess if it's for something you really want though..

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, I've always said that Ross is definitely not the cheapest place, but his prices are consistant. In other words, if you got something like The Frighteners box set, he would charge his normal box set price, 1/2 of original list cost. For common titles, he's a little pricey, but for rarities you will get some great deals.

Also, his trade-IN price is a lot higher than most places that buy used discs. And remember that the discs are personally scanned for defects.

Finally, $5 doesn't seem that pricey. I doubt anyone on E-Bay ships for less than that. And I forgot what company he uses, but he's real particular about it, won't ship any other way.

Not too many people still actively buy and sell LDs, so don't knock it...

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

I hear you, Paff. The whole reason I was going to buy a few discs from them, at $10.00 each, was to support an active LD seller. I also wanted to try out a few of their box set protectors. I could just wait it out on ebay, where most Full Moon LDs sell for $5.00 a whack. But, even so, the shipping charge turned me off a little. I'll still probably order from them, but I'm going to wait a few more weeks until I have some more funds.

15. chrishicks

I don't mind paying that kind of price for shipping if it is something I want. I just remember what I used to pay at stores like Ken Cranes. I haven't shopped for LDs in awhile. my last order was with Big Emmas and I paid like $4.00 on 5 discs for shipping. I don't want to sound like I will not support a store because of a high shipping price.

16. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I went to Ameoba and traded about 5 discs in for one mint edition laserdisc of Criterion's THE RED SHOES. I know, not horror, but its a great film to have.
    Since I have a new widescreen TV, I've been weeding out my LDs! I even have a current auction up on eBay with my hardly-used first player.
    I'll probably get more DVDs instead, but some LD's look great using the zoom feature on my TV: EC's HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY looked just fine and dandy as did their THE BEYOND. Even the import full screen FRIDAY THE 13TH (this on my auction, too) looked cinematic.
    Even though, I wish more DVDs were enhanced for widescreen TVs (ESPECIALLY: SCREAM, HALLOWEEN H20 and many others).

17. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Any LD's of special interest that are being weeded out? A link to your auctions possibly?

18. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
  19. patmcgahern

patmcgahern Guest

Got, Death Wish 3, Rocketman and Metamorphosis. Still looking for Frighteners box set if any of you guys have it.
    Thanks

20. Dave

Dave Pimp

I scored a New Twilight Zone LD today off ebay. Sweet price of $16.00 + shipping. My contact in Japan wants $55 a whack for these. Umm, thanks but no thanks! I only need a few more to complete my set (Complete Season One), so I'll have patience and wait it out on epay.

Of course, once I finish the set, they'll announce the DVDs. But I wouldn't mind, as I've love to own Seasons Two and Three on DVD.