My OFFICIAL Dawn of the Dead 2004 thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Atmims

Atmims Guest

BTW, I thought the new Dawn was shit and you can quote me on that. I'm no loyalist. Dawn of the Dead was one of the first zombie movies I've ever seen, I've liked lots of zombie flicks since.

2. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The only person I've ragged on is FulciZombieFan. I responded after landrvr posted, after betterdan responded to his bait. I said the whole opinions bit, and that they ALL need to understand this. Then FZF came back with more crap, so I ragged on him again, and he's annoyed me in past chats anyways, so that added to it. What the hell do you care anyways? I'm guessing you don't like that I love the remake, so you're trying to give me a hard time.

3. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I don't care if you love the remake, that's your opinion and i'm fine with that. But i found it funny that you ragged on FZF but not landrvr. Becuase according to you "ragging on assholes is fun, and I'll do it any chance they give me." so i was confused why you didn't rag on landrvr. That is all.

4. Ash

Ash New Member

No kidding. I'm just saying it's a better film in general.

5. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Wha' meeee?! :eek1: :lol: :lol:

I would like to declare myself as the Honorary Asshole Of This Thread. :fuck:

I liked the movie but still, I want all the insults and ragging from both sides directed towards me cuz I didn't get my weekly allowance of pure fucking hell on Earth! :fucked: :bs: :lol:

Bring it on! :cry:

6. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I am just SO HAPPY to see the 28 Days Later: Zombie movie or no? argument show up in here. Because I never get enough of that.

I personally blame thrashard76 for all this. You (honorary) asshole you!

7. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Yeah, 28 Days Later = NO Zombies. :fucked:

Elisha is so fucking hot though..right...right?!! :banana: :sperm: :sperm:

8. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

In that case, neither is Dawn 04.

9. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

From www.dictionary.com :

"zom·bie also zom·bi ( P ) Pronunciation Key (zmb)
    n. pl. zom·bies, also zom·bis

1. A snake god of voodoo cults in West Africa, Haiti, and the southern United States.

2. a. A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse.

a. A corpse revived in this way.

3. One who looks or behaves like an automaton.

4. A tall mixed drink made of various rums, liqueur, and fruit juice. "

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  10. mcchrist

All I'm saying is that if you are going to consider Dawn a zombie film, 28 Days Later better damn well be considered too.

My two cents.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Luna:
    I'm sorry discussing films is a bore to you - but I must conceed that things shouldn't have got off topic as I did with bringing up the t-shirt scandal. I wanted to make sure you really didn't like the film aside the outside factors - as for you elaborating on your critique, I appologize, you did. I think I must have got confused with someone else's post. As for just picking on you, well I did challenge McChrist's review as well and only because I can see that you and he have revered opinions on this forum.
    I saw the movie again and still thought it was good.

Russian incubator aside, I thought the angle of the gangbanger dude wanting to keep his Zombie family was an interesting direction. I also like that some of the characters killed each other rather than being taken over by the Zombies. As for the Zombies, upon a second viewing, I didn't find their "powers" that over the top - many of them did in fact shuffle around and such, and I must agree with someone's post that their ability to run made them more threatening and menacing. ? The smart-ass guy should have been killed before he turnned into a Zombie. ? CJ was my favourite character. ? Can't get enough of that celebrity shooting scene! :D
    Those ?'s should be bullet points but they turn into ? for some reason.

12. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Damn, Dawn did not hold the top spot again this week..in fact I believe it made only a little over 10 million and earned the number 3 or 4 spot.

Oh, 28 Days Later is a zombie flick. I don't care about anybody elses opinion. :p

13. mcchrist

Well, I have my fair share of people bustin my chops because I don't like this or that.

Back to the subject at hand, I am just amazed that people are willing to accept this. There are some fun aspects to the movie and I can see the appeal, but in all honesty we should demand better. The studios are going to read all the orgasmic reviews on imdb and genre sites and use that as a jumping board to perpetuate this "remake" nonsense instead of searching for screenwriters with half a brain to write something original. Remakes can be good, and this had potential... But they missed the boat! We should demand better! I feel like everything special of my childhood is being twisted, warped, and excreted into something that I can no longer identify with. The nineties, and apparently the new millenium, seems to offer nothing new to the world and it makes me sick. I wonder how some people can get out of bed in the morning, I really do.

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

You seem to have a real affection for the original then. I had only seen the original in the last 3 years or so, so I really have no loyalties or expectations. As for this one being called a remake, I think that is slightly stretching things because it is fairly different than the original save the shopping mall aspect. If you consider how much the TCM remake followed the original's plot, then this one is more like a coincidental alignment of events rather than "the same but different". I always feel like I could do a better movie, and who knows, maybe someday.. :D but really, if you consider some of the other genre films that one must make allowances for (ex: Fulci's Zombie has some major shitty shit going on at times, but oh well - it delivers some great Zombie moments). Maybe the title of this movie is what doomed it for you?

15. mcchrist

Inevitably so. As you said, I do hold a deep affection for the original. I put it in the same ranks as anything done by Frank Capra, Stanley Kubrick, Orson Welles, Sergio Leone... When I say it is one of the greatest films ever made, I do not mean that lightly. I do not mean because of the gore, the action, the zombies... It is a damn well made film and about as close to perfection as anything ever done. So, to "remake" Dawn of the Dead for me would be the equivilent of remaking Citizen Kane, Clockwork Orange, etc. Plus I used to go to the Monroeville Mall at least once a month, I knew every nook and cranny of the place even though it is quite different today. I could close my eyes right now and visualize the film from the first to last frame. What this new film is, I have no idea... But it isn't Dawn of the Dead. With a title change, I'd be happier to bitch about it being a rip-off or something than this.

16. Sinister Ash

Sinister Ash New Member

*Spoiler*

It was at the end when the survivors were reviewing the video tape on that prick's boat.

*end spoiler*

17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

What did you think of 'Night/Day'? Are you interested in Romero doing another '..of the dead' flick? For me, I can't get enough of that shit. Like I said on another thread, if they made an 'of the dead' TV series, I'd be all over it.

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I love working at a movie theater, look at what I scored last night.

19. mcchrist

Of course I'd be up for a sequel. Those two just can't hold a candle to Dawn, they are fun and everything I expect from a zombie film... But somehow Dawn transcended all of that.

As for a TV series, I think there is potential to change the face of broadcasting... I remember when the idea was toyed around with and the more I think of it, it would be tops if done right.

20. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'd love to see HBO produce something like a zombie series. It's not like they already don't broadcast graphic violence like in the Soprano's and the excellent new series Deadwood.