My OFFICIAL Dawn of the Dead 2004 thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Feb 26, 2004.

1. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

Scary because I feel just about exactly the same way.

As an aside I grew up in Murrysville which is next to Monroeville and the Monroeville Mall and my mother took me there at least twice a week most of my childhood life so seeing the movie for the first time pretty much blew me away in that aspect. But that really isn't why I love it so.

Anyways I love the original and yes I admit that I was against the remake from the day I heard about it.

I still saw it.

And had the movie been really good or even somewhat good I would have said so. I really would.

But that wasn't the case. Sorry. The movie sucked. Nothing SPECIAL is in this movie. There is not ONE moment in the film that moved me ... no shock, no scare, no sadness, no happyness no nothing.

Beyond that it even had shitty music and poor cinematography and just plain stupid shit like when that oil tank blew up in front of the trucks "knocking" the zombies down with some "wave" effect.

Really I can't imagine what you people are seeing in this that makes you think it is any good. I just can't fanthom anyone thinking this movie is a good movie. It isn't even in that SO BAD IT'S GOOD catagory. It's just plain pathetic and a BIG waste of time!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    I do like the subplot about the guy across the street. I do have to admit that when he got bitten that was a downer and probably the only time in the entire movie that I felt emotion and connected. But this subplot alone can't save this movie from being one big pile of dog pooh.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, I'd like to see one more "Dead" flick, hopefully called "Twilight of the Dead"

What I love about the series is how the titles fit. The first one is literal, a night of living dead. But the second one is obviously not about a morning of zombies, right? Instead, "Dawn" is used more figuratively, as in the "dawning" of a new era. And the film fits that title, as it shows citizens trying to go on about their normal lives, and control the zombie menace. Of course, that can't happen, pretty much the point of the movie.

And "Day" is similar to "every dog has it's day". In that one, it's understood that the zombies now rule...it's THEIR day. Thus, a "Twilight of the Dead" would have a similar significance, as in, the zombies being in the "twilight" of their "lives".

I know a lot of people would want tons of Romero-fueled zombie films and stories, but one more would be all that's necessary. Anything more would really be overkill, and go against the "time of day" concept that makes the original films so enjoyable...

3. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

why is 04 not a zombie movie if 28 Days Later isnt? 28 Days later dosent even have undead in it. Or fleash eating/craving for flesh. They arent dead, and they dont want to eat you. Thats a zombie to you? :eek2:

4. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Yep, and I consider movies like White Zombie, King of the Zombies, Plague of the Zombies, Last man on Earth, I Walked With a Zombie, The Omega Man, Serpent and the Rainbow, even Blue Sunshine zombie movies... I'm sorry dude, but the aesthetic is ever present and no they aren't dead and don't eat flesh, but we wouldn't know this if it wasn't for a poorly written opening sequence and one moment of expository dialogue that had to explain the whole damn thing. That's what, two minutes worth of dubious footage to negate this being a zombie movie? And even with it, then what are all these people anyway? Zombies.

5. Ash

Ash New Member

Nice! Great artwork for a crappy remake. Anyone know where I can get the Japanese poster?

6. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

7. KingJeff

KingJeff Guest

I went out and saw it again tonight (viewing #3) and still enjoyed it. I've been a fan of the original since the first time I saw it (probably in '83) and seen it hundreds of times.

Can't wait for it to hit the dollar theaters! :)

8. Luna

Luna Guest

Good score! Before I'd seen the movie, I saw a few of those around my local theater (a 30-plex) and totally coveted it. I had secret plans to make a mad dash out of one of the many side exit doors where one of those was located. :evil:

I still think it's probably the all-around best poster art I've seen for a recent horror movie in a long while. Normally, it's just pretty people posing in a semicircle at the bottom, with some person or thing looming, semi-transparent, above them. At least they tried to break away from that crappy trend with this poster art!

9. Latency

Latency Guest

HOLY FUCK THIS MOVIE ROCKS!!!! IT PUTS THE ORIGINAL TO SHAME!!!!! Okay, not quite. The original still has a place in my heart ... but man these are two completley different movies.

I love the chos and mayhem in the opening 5 minutes. The movie has a great pace throughout that never really lets up. The intensity of these zombies are insane!!!! No more punching zombies and pushing them out of the way. If you basically see a group of these zombies within 10 feet, you better eat your own bullet. This is the way zombies should be (just like 28 days later in many ways). Anyways, I can see myself seeing this in the theater a few more times at least. I can't wait for the DVD!!!!

4.5/5 stars. The only thing that could have been better was the character development .... the original is superior in this aspect.

10. onebyone

onebyone Guest

OK, I am late to the party but I LOVE THIS MOVIE. Ok, so it isn't as good as the first, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Besides, as noted, they are very different movies, it seems almost unfair to compare them. At any rate, it was very intense and action packed and Ving Rhames was great and there was a guy who looked just like Bruce Campbell so yeah, I am good. :banana:

I also got to say I love the zombies in this movie. They were just so on your ass. No time to run, you are dead. It added to the intensity so count me in as a fan of the fast zombie.

I give it 4/5, only lowering it because of the lack of obvious cannibalism (I need to see gnawing on the bodies baby). The rest of it was kick ass though. Can't wait for the dvd.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2004
  11. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I haven't seen this remake yet, but going through this thread, I see the same statements over and over again, almost verbatim:

"you can't really compare the two...because they are very different movies"

OR

"with the exception of the shopping mall location, this remake pretty much has nothing in common with the original"

To which I reply "Well, then why call it Dawn of the Dead?"

Oh yeah, the marketing ploy known as "name recognition". :p

Still looking forward to seeing this, if I can just get a day off work....and it is fading fast too.... :(

12. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Yeah, you can't compare the two... But already it has become a nightmare, because now when I start talking about my favorite movies in mixed company I have to indicate which Dawn I'm talking about, goddamn sonofabitch! Not even in the same league!

:mad:

13. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

Wasn't it a direct quote that "bodies of the recently dead are returning to life and attacking the living?" What of the command to turn over fresh corpses to squads of the National Guard, or the report in the original NotLD about a cadaver being reanimated? The graveyard zombies in NotLD '90? That kinda set in stone the whole idea of how zombies operate for me, that death w/intact brain = reanimation. We never saw what happened to Woolly's body after Ken left the room, and I would think that in a hail of multiple machine gun fire at point blank may have lodged one in Frankenstein's head.

Everyone dies. The notion that no matter how secure your position is everyone will eventually turn into a zombie is much more scary (and realistic) than avoiding a bite. If zombie bites carried some sort of infection, you run into a 28DL syndrome where any zombie contact to an open wound or orifice leads to trouble.

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

That's just one man's take on it. I'm always up for new takes on the genre. If everyone did the same thing wouldn't that be kind of boring?

15. Ash

Ash New Member

Exactly :bs: They should of called it Return of the Living Dead Part IV. It probably would of bombed at the box office though.

16. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

I'm always up for new ideas also, but I'm not for messing with a series established "rules" that have always been heeded before.

Probably the biggest thing that I liked about the Romero trilogy was that it handled itself realistically (well, as realistic as a zombie infestation is). I live in a farmhouse similar to the one in Night, I've been to shopping malls similar to Monroeville's; and although I've never been in an underground military complex I've worked in the deep mines enough to imagine how tense the situation would be if you were confined to them. The characters seemed like real people, not 2d clich├ęs, and their actions were those that real people would take given the "rules" of the situation. Changing the "rules" that have been set forth in 4 previous movies kinda fucks with the flick's way of being viewed in a realistic way, IMO.

Example, the zombie baby. The mother was bit, and so the infection (for lack of a better term) was passed to her. Her child was never bitten. What part of the plot did I miss that explained just why a zombie child was born? Is it because tainted body fluids were passed between the child & mother ala AIDS? If so, then not just a bite, but any contact with zombie juice would cause infection (28DL again). That would completely change almost everything that the characters would do to survive, and just what the hell the characters do to survive is the whole movie.

Perhaps we should take a cue from Godzilla '98. This movie should be referred to as DINO (Dawn In Name Only).

17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

It's called an umbilical cord - look into it. :rolleyes:
    No one is going to tongue-kiss a Zombie, so we can't test your theory. Find something solid to complain about. There were many holes why grasp at straws - there's plenty to choose from.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well how about Roger in the original Dawn? He got a bite, but the bite itself didn't kill him and Peter even said he'd seen it happen before in others. Or in Day of the Dead when Sarah cut off Miguel's arm, she said she thought to caught it in time. She may even have said infection but it's been awhile since I've seen it.

But the umbilical cord is Azathoth's point, it's not just magically because of a bite but a true infection. Which would change the situation, but only slightly in my opinion.

19. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

so how much has this movie made at the BO so far?