my opinion on UHD 4K

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by horrorlover, Jul 9, 2017.

1. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

So I went earlier today and was going to buy a 4K TV and UHD 4K blu ray player, so went and was checking out the TV's and this is the first time I've actually seen them in action, and I was looking, and was like looking some more, and well I guess I should say I wanted a 43" 4K TV, and so the huge TV's looked pretty awesome, but in the 43" 4K TV sets, I was pretty unimpressed, and I was like this isn't worth upgrading too, at least not now, maybe they will start making OLED displays in the 43" 4K size and I've heard OLED is superior to LED, but 4K at the 43" TV size is no better than the HDTV I have now, I was really disappointed, I might just buy a regular 42 inch HDTV and save several hundred dollars, or I might go back and get the 43 inch 4K TV so it'll be ready for the future, I am going to take a while to think about what I should do, I currently have a 32" TV and I wanted a 42-43" TV as mine is rather small and so even that smaller size is still a big upgrade for me. I didn't get to test 4K Blu rays on it, maybe that's where the true benefit is on 4K TV's though, but I looked at what's out on 4K Blu ray and it's a pitiful selection. When Scream Factory and Arrow start releasing in 4K then it's definitely time to get one haha, I have no doubt 4K blu rays will be successful it might just take 5 years to catch on, but it's the future, eventually as everyoens dvd and blu ray players break they'll go out and get a 4K blu ray player instead of a dvd or blu ray player, and a 4K TV instead of a HDTV, but this will be a process that takes years.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I have a 55 inch Samsung 4K/3D TV and a Samsung UHD blu-ray player. In my opinion, 4K is glorious, however...

If you're in the U.S, it will be many years before cable can provide 4K content. They can't even currently broadcast in 1080p. YouTube and Netflix content that streams in 4K looks breathtaking, however you need a high speed internet connection. As far as the UHD blu-ray's, The Revenant and The Shallows are demo worthy but I haven't seen anything else yet that is on par (yet).

On the plus side, the TV's are very inexpensive this far into their existence. They do a great job of upconverting standard blu-ray's as well. The important thing is to make sure the 4K TV has HDR (some don't). That is where you will see the noticible difference in color.

In conclusion, I am a huge fan of 4K (more than most) but am leary about its future. On one hand, they are exceeding sales expectations however most of the studios have yet to embrace it.

RNunez187 likes this.
  3. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I own a 60" LG 1080p passive 3D. I imagine it will last me at a minimum a few more years and I doubt I will replace it with 4k anytime soon as I'm not that blown away by the tech. The longer I wait, the cheaper it will become anyway, and perhaps by that time 8k will be hitting the market. By my eyes the leap from 1080p to 4k is not nearly as noticeable as it was going from a standard 480i/p CRT to 1080p.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I have a 70" Samsung 4k tv and use my Xbox One S to play 4k discs. It took me a while to get used to the tv as it has so many more picture options to tune than my plasma had. I really love it now though and can't imagine ever wanting to go back. 4k content looks crisp and really benefits modern movies. I recently bought Dawn and Rise of the Planet of the Apes and look forward to sitting down and checking them out.

As for screen sizes, you're not going to get much benefit from tv's under 50". I mean they'll still look great but I always felt big screen 1080p tv's looked pretty terrible the larger they got. With 4k tv's I think the big models finally look really good. The latest technologies out atm are OLED's and QLED's. The former has pure blacks and much better viewing angles over LED but their lifespan is apparently not as long. The latter is a Samsung only product at the moment and apparently offers a wider colour gamut of 100% pure colour. OLED seems to be the way to go though. I look forward to when they get cheaper so I can finally grab one but for now my LED is great.

Steel76 likes this.
  5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

If you're in the market for a TV then there is no reason to not buy a UHD one unless you are truly broke. Forget about picture quality and realize that 1080p sets are now after thoughts as far as manufacturers are concerned. They are basically disposable sets that have lousy panels compared to 2010 models, even worse sound, and so light and flimsy you could blow them over on their cheap plastic legs. You'd be throwing your money away and buying a new set in few years anyways.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

4K discs use the newer HEVC encode, so it saves a lot of disc space compared to the older AVC encode used on most Blu-rays. I think it's something like 50%+ more efficient overall with the space it utilizes.

There are surprisingly many relatively recent movies that were "finished" at 2K, so any 4K disc is basically just an upconvert with a better encode.

Steel76, Zombie Dude and zbinks like this.
  7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I can't imagine that a 42" TV would show the benefits of 4K unless you were like 3 inches away from it. Hell, when I had a 42" TV it was only 720p and it was fine. Only went to 1080 when I got a 60"

SaviniFan likes this.
  8. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

I think what will make me get a 4K 43" LG is the fact that it has HDR 10, which is supposed to make 4k blu rays look amazing with colors, it's not so much the resolution of the discs. Might just wait a few months and see how the Black Friday sales are, I plan to get an LG or a Sony. From what I understand LG is the best as they have both HDR 10 and Dolbyvision or something like that it's called, which is not available on all 4K TV's.

9. Zombie Dude

Yeah those features sound great and will make a difference. I think my Samsung just has a basic HDR function. I mean the colours look great but I don't know if it's as good as what HDR 10 gives (I'm assuming I dont have that). I hear lots of good thinks about LG tv's so I'd be more than happy to go with them in the future too.

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I'm still 1080P, and will be for a while, but here's a good article on 4K with a chart and calculator to really see if you're going to have a noticibly different viewing experience than with a lower resolution depending on your screen size, viewing distance to the screen, and your quality of vision: http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/

11. maybrick

From my understanding, having an HDR capable set really doesn't do anything for anybody in the vast majority of cases. It isn't enough to simply "activate" HDR in the settings and get an immediate improvement in picture quality. In order for HDR to work everything in the chain from the moment the director yells action with HDR video movie cameras to the moment you see it on the screen needs to be in HDR. These sets can no doubt make movies look more "film like" than ever before, but they can't create colors and contrasts that didn't exist in the first place... and if they can then they most certainly shouldn't. Most film stocks according to Kodak only had about 13 stops of dynamic range, and today's high end digital cameras can have 15. If the movie wasn't made recently then it won't have "true" HDR.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

actually that reference chat on how far you will notice the difference on a 4K TV was very helpful, I'd be about right in the spot for a 4K TV at 40-49 inches. So the 43" 4K is about right for me. I think some of the higher end Samsung's have good HDR, but I read the lower end like 6000 models have poor HDR. It still handles HDR, but not very well, at least that's what I read, it could be wrong. I miss how easy it used to be to buy a TV, go to store, buy an RCA, you knew it was a good one and go home and watch it with no confusing stuff. Now TV's are so confusing, there are so many things to look for in a TV.

13. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

According to that calculator I won't benefit much at all jumping to 4k as I have a 60" 1080p and I sit about 10+ feet away. Nice to get this kind of info even if it could be a little flawed.

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Christopher Nolan just stated in an interview that he is personally overseeing a 4K remaster of the Dark Knight Trilogy. That alone would get me to upgrade.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

4K UHD 43" can have an MSRP now of $349.99, retail price $299.99: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/westing...-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5247402.p?skuId=5247402

Next Christmas it will be even lower. It won't be long now before you're going to have a hard time even finding something that's not UHD.

And that's the march of progress. It just becomes too cheap to bother to do anything else. I can't wait for people to be bitching about 8k not being a big enough leap over 4k, only to be standing in line Black Friday for an 8k TV three years later. o_O

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  16. maybrick

Westinghouse is shit. You should be skeptical of any brand that sells their sets for that low.

17. Zombie Dude

I disagree. I mean I know nothing about that particular brand but our cheap tv brand here in Australia (Soniq) puts out some decent panels for very low prices. I wouldn't use them as my main tv if I had a choice but I think they're more than fine if your budget doesn't allow for more expensive brands. My girlfriend has one and we've watched movies and played games on it without any issues or noticeable quality drop.

18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Many budget TV:s actually uses the same panels as the big brands.

Before I got the LG OLED, I went through 3 different Sony displays, they all has extremely shitty viewing angles (VA panel, move a few notches, from "sweetspot" to the left and right, and the colors/contrast fell apart), and lots of backpanel bleed (brighter spots in the lower corners during dark scenes), and "dirty screen" problems, causing visible banding during bright scenes.
    A friend of mine, got a budget brand, with none of these problems :D

What you get with big brands though, is more features, and better build quality...and paying more for the name.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. maybrick

There's a lot more to a tv than just the panel, and brands like Sony have low end $200 models and high end top of the line ones. And there can even be differences in picture quality between two sets with the same model number, which is why today its a shame you have to buy out of a box without knowing what you are getting.

20. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I was lucky enought test the Sony screens at home, since I know the owner of the electronic store.

The first was the top of the line w905, which got the best reviews everywhere.
    But the banding problems and the insanely narrow viewing angles made it unusable for me. Great black levels, when watching straight from the center, move a tiny bit to the sides, and they turned light grey.

Tested another display of the same model, same issues with the panel.

Tried a w605, which was mid level.
    But had problems with banding and dead pixels. Though the viewing angles was excellent.

Feels like they only care about features and the look of the TV, instead of quality control, and deliver a flawless panel.

No TV is perfect, but damn, I was ready to give up and go back to my old budget Sharp TV, that had none of the problems.

It's like a lottery out there. Either you get lucky and get a great panel, or you get something that should have been trashed in the factory.

Sadly I'm pretty picky with these things, and most people don't even know or care about these issues.

It was easier back in the CRT days. :D