my opinion on UHD 4K

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by horrorlover, Jul 9, 2017.

1. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm assuming there is a big difference in picture quality between just a 4k TV and a 4k TV that has HDR. Although I won't be in the market for 4k anytime soon, my impression is that most of the cheap sets lack this feature which may be more important than the 4k resolution itself?

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yes, HDR improves both contrast and colors dramatically.
    Too me, that's more impressive, than the boost in resolution.

Even videogames benefits greatly from the HDR support as well.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Regardless, how long is any manufacture going to sell a top of the line 2k set when you're being undercut by a 4k set? That won't last long.

UHD Blu-ray discs are now hitting less than $15. How long can Blu-ray distributors sell regular HD discs over that? Not long.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don't know. They're probably that cheap because they're not moving. UHD discs could drop to $5 and I wouldn't touch them unless they came with the blu ray because they won't work with my TV or player. And I'm simply not interested in upgrading to UHD until my Panasonic Plasma breaks, which could be tomorrow or ten years from now.

Natas likes this.
  5. Dave

Dave Pimp

I read many catalog releases are upconverts. True? Still 0 interest on my end. I'm going to a projector so we will see how 1080 holds up.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

If they were shot after 2000 and have a 2k Digital Intermediate, there's been more than a few that were mostly upconverts. They'll often work on the colors though so that it has a wider range than the Blu-ray releases. Plus often have better compression and less EE/DNR.

But for anything shot on film they've been true 4k. As higher resolution progresses we're going to come to the funny realization that the movies made during 2000-2020 will not hold their own against movies done entirely on film prior to that. Star Wars may show the biggest difference with its muddy early digital 1080p sources. Compared to 35mm it won't look nearly as good.

7. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Digital effects (CGI, in particular) are going to be a bane to 4K UHD and any subsequent formats for years to come because the advancement of technology is outpacing the film industry's adoption of said technology. The same films that usually drive the sales of a new format (i.e. recent, effects-driven Hollywood blockbusters) are rapidly becoming obsolete for future formats because their, at the time, state of the art (and often outrageously expensive) digital effects often weren't rendered above 2K. It's going to be the Star Trek: The Next Generation / The X-Files dilemma, but on a much wider, even more mainstream scale.

8. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I have never once trusted those distance calculators. Who the fuck sits 3 feet away from their TV?

maybrick likes this.
  9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Check out The Revanent. Stellar disc. Welcome back Dobby.