my review of 2019: After the Fall of New York

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by DefJeff, Mar 4, 2003.

1. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

so the post-nuke classic 2019 has made it to dvd.. how is it? lets see....

as always, first off is the technical issues of the disc... Shriek Show gives us a beautiful transfer with great audio. I should mention there is a rumour that this was framed incorrectly, but I personally dont know if this is true or not. i guess we will wait and see what the offical word is. Rounding out the extras we get an AWFUL "original" (yea, original, as in originally from Shriek Show) trailer, 3 interviews- Sergio Martino, George Eastman and Hal Yamanouchi and an art gallery. sadly, there is no Shriek Show trademark 'extra' trailers on this disc for upcoming movies--small complaint, no biggie at ALL.

the movie itself is alot of fun. filled with tons of action, a couple beautiful women (that Eurac boss lady was fucking AMAZING), some awesome gore/FX-- including, but not limited to-- the best rat attack this side of RATS, eye gouging, quadruple decapitation, a man crushing a rat with his steel claw hand--and thats only scratching the iceburg... lets not forget all the great characters, cool music, great dialouge and lots more. this movie definitally has alot to see.

keeping it short, the movie is about an bad-ass tough guy named Parsifal, who is selected to find the last living fertal woman on Earth. oh did i mention the Earth is totally destroyed from nukes? and there is a huge corperation of goons called the Euracs who run New York and are killing off the contaminated people and experimenting on others? So where's the fertal woman? duh, of course she is in New York!! (what else did you expect!). so Parsifal is given 2 other dudes and they head to NY. along the way they meet many awesome characters and gain a few friends. they eventually find the fertal woman and now the only problem is escaping from the Euracs and New York!!!!!!!! great ending on this one that your all sure to enjoy!

in my opinion, the high point of this movie is definitally the characters. all of them are likeable and fucking awesome in one way or another.. plus like i mentioned above, besides the characters, this movie delivers on alot of other levels also. highly recommended by me

disc: :banana: :banana: and a half out of 5

movie: :banana: :banana: :banana: and a half out of 5

Last edited: Mar 4, 2003
  2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm just glad its on disc, now all I need is cash. Definitly my next DVD purchase, I haven't seen this in a while.

3. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Another fine review, DefJeff. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing this. I just wish the whole framing issue would get cleared up.

4. morpho

morpho Guest

Indeed, a great film that puts the fun in the funeral of civilization. Don't forget to check out the audio commentary which is in the audio setup of the disc. Mike Sopkiw has some interesting tidbits to share about the film.

5. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

What's there to clear up about the ratio? One person, who obviously and publicly has it in for Shriek Show, makes a claim that it's the wrong dimensions while offering NO proof whatsoever - and now it's an "issue" that needs to be "cleared up?"

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Nice review Jeff. ;) I guess the framing problem is ok considering so many people who have it hasn't screamed for blood. :lol: So I will pick this up when I go out shopping again (if I can find it). I knew I'd like this film but the aforementioned error was holding me back. :evil:

7. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I'm waiting untill the OAR problem is sloved. BLASTER!!!!!!!!!

8. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I had read on "another board";) before this whole "Dolph" thing that the framing may be incorrect - something about the box saying 2.35:1 while the image appeared to be 1.85:1. It could be a misprint on the cover, but I find it odd that Blaster hasn't been around to confirm it, one way or another. I don't think it's that big a deal, but the situation does spark some curiosity, especially after reading the incoherent post by whomever was claiming to be Blaster. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to seeing the film.

Oh, and Blaster, don't forget to change that password.:banana:

9. blaster

blaster Guest

I agree with Bruce H

Based on the producers of the film, the ratio is 1.85 now if someone can show me somewhere where it was 2.35 than I can go back to them and complain but honestly the film looks framed correctly to me.

What is OAR? Sorry not sure what you guys mean?

-blaster

10. ian

ian Member

OAR = original aspect ratio.

11. blaster

blaster Guest

Thank you...

I believe it was 1.85 and someone else does not...so prove me wrong and I can go back and get the producer to give me a new master...

-blaster

12. hell ya!

Thats good enough for me

13. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Re: I agree with Bruce H

Well thanks for clearing that up, Blaster. Um, you are the real Blaster, right?:eek2:

14. blaster

blaster Guest

The one and only...

John Sirabella (breathes laughing ???) Does anyone know wtf that means? The clueless one but I seem to know it is 1.85:1 ...

-John Sirabella

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Having just seen the DVD (thanks John!), the 1.85:1 framing looks correct to me too. The only "error" is that the back cover claims a 2.35:1 ratio. The discs are fine, the cover is what needs fixing. Oh, and the commentary is...well, I'll let it speak for itself.

16. MBaronas

MBaronas Guest

'2019' aspect ratio confirmation

Not to beat this dead horse of a subject further, but I thought it important to put an end to all the speculation of what aspect ratio "2019" was truly shot in.

Below is an excerpt of an email Kit Gavin shot over to me after speaking with Luciano Martino, producer of the film, on the phone yesterday:

>> I spoke to Luciano Martino at Dania Film (Sergio is away). He stated that all his brother's films have been lensed and presented (barring his TV movies) in 1:85:1. <<

The presentation on the Media Blasters DVD is correct (the specs listed on the cover are incorrect).

Hope this helps...

17. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Re: '2019' aspect ratio confirmation

I think most of us here figured this was the case. Thanks for posting the results Baronas. :evil:

18. Blue Holocaust

Blue Holocaust New Member

Re: '2019' aspect ratio confirmation

Yet, most of the Sergio Martino films I've seen appeared to be 2.35:1... ("Next!", "All the colors of darkness", "Mountain of the Cannibal God", "Island of Fishmen" & "Mannaja")
    "Torso" is the only 1:85:1 Sergio Martino film I can think of...
    I have no idea what is 2019 actual aspect ratio... I guess both ways are plausible.
    I'll just say that personally, I think films shot in 2.35:1 look cooler...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2003
  19. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

so i was browsing over at eurohorrordvds.com and someone posted a link in the forum to Mobius

http://www.mhvf.net/forum/euro/posts/38214.html

where it says that this DVD is recalled, and the Dolph commentary is being removed.

just thought i would give you guys a heads up, if you want this, act now!

20. hell ya!

Ya i heard about that and i'm glad that i got mine a couple of days ago WITH the commentary. I listened to it and personally i think people are blowing it up in to something its not. Overall the commentary was not really that good but instead of completely removing it they should just edit the bad parts out.