my review of SNUFF

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by DefJeff, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Eddie Quist

Eddie Quist Guest

This has gotta be one of the most hated films in genre history... Still, it is something I would consider renting but definitely not buying.

2. Sinister Ash

Sinister Ash New Member

It really sucked ass. I hated this film. One of the worst buys.... EVER.

3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Luckily, I rented this years back. So I know it is a waste of money. This is so terrible that I can't believe anyone would want to release this. It is not even good in a bad way. It was probably cheap to buy the rights and to just give it a slick looking cover.

4. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

My three word review of Snuff- Don't by it!

5. Well look at it this way, it is limited to 10,000 copies, so mabye in about 3 years you can sell it off to someone at a good price.

6. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

From the way this movie is being reviewed, it might take 10 years to sell even 10,000....if that. I predict this will end up as a cut out in the bargain bin sooner than later.

7. Gutwrencher

Gutwrencher Guest

I'm a Blue Underground slut....I buy all the label puts out. it's in my library and will stay there...even though it's not that good. a completist lives by different rules.;)

8. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

this film was originally called slaughter and shelved for a couple of
    years ,than picked up, title was changed and the 5 minute segment was tacked on the end with bloody effects by ed french.
    (sleepaway camp efx man)
    i think it's worth getting for the controversy surrounding it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2003
  9. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I don't hear much controversy around it except for the fact that it sucks!

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

Okay, so is there anyone who actually enjoyed this film?

11. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I enjoyed it. I thought it was pretty funny.:lol:

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I think you guys are nuts, SNUFF is a sleaze and cheese masterpiece! There wasn't really a whole lot of gore until the end of the movie, but I loved the sleazy feel, the fantastic music, and the horrible dubbing. I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone, though, considering most people really hate this film.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I haven't posted about it, but I did finally manage to get a copy of this movie. It's quite bad I suppose. However, as presented in the context of "Snuff", I felt it still delivered. The tacked on endings - which as we know was just a Produers whim - is all the more powerful for it. it's so out of place, so stupid, so mean, that you kind of gawp at it in disbelief. So yeah, it still worked for me for what it is. It wasn't trying to be momentous, just shocking.

Now - I will say - the no chapter stop thing is annoying beyond belief. Not even a fast forward! Just annoying - not cool. I see what they were going for, but personally, I really don't appreciate it.

14. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I pretty much agree with you 100%. The film is awful beyond belief, but it was highly entertaining to me and certainly not boring at all. And yeah, the whole packaging idea BU conjured up was clever, but I'm very disappointed in the release. They should have at least compiled some extras, such as a documentary going into the history of this film... Lord knows it's infamous enough to deserve one. As bad as this DVD is, though, I'll still probably pick it up sometime.

15. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Snuff is as important in Exploitation filmking as Freaks.

No it's not as good (in fact it's terrible) but it created a whole social awareness.

Read any three reviews of the film and all will differ on it's heritage...that's the joy!!

It's a must have for any exploitation collector if only as a reference point and piece of history.

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- As bad as this DVD is, though, I'll still probably pick it up sometime.--

--It's a must have for any exploitation collector if only as a reference point and piece of history.--

You know, Criswell, that is exactly why I *had* to have a copy of this film on DVD. it's status - which goes above and beyond the quality of the film (which kinda goes without saying, I know).

I'm pretty proud of my collection of horror titles, and Snuff would leave a hole if it were not represented. It's a key part of the exploitation legacy (and yes, it's history is amazing). I couldn't be without it.

ps: I gotta tell you though, it took me a long time to get a copy since the price for this thing is obscene for what you get. BU are asking too much, imo.

17. Criswell

Criswell New Member

True. I seriously had an arguement with my father in law when we first met and he claimed Snuff films really existed and used Snuff as a refererence point.

Naturally I put in my copy.......he shut up and has hated me since.

:D :D :D

18. shift

shift Hot as shit!

I like to see some still pics of this movie. Anyone care to share some? Thanks

19. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I have this and watched it once, and yes, it did suck. However, its place in horror history is undeniable and I am still glad that I got it. BU's unique packaging and lack of any amenities was obviously part of the joke that this film really is, and I am ok with it-especially since I'll probably watch this movie only once more over the years, if that.