My Soul to Take (2010)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I'm very glad that I didn't waste any time/money on this. The trailer looked really stupid.

2. Jason Reynolds

Jason Reynolds New Member

I finally saw this tonight and it was better than I expected! Certainly not great, but better than a lot of horror flicks coming out these days.

It did seem somewhat disjointed though. Maybe that was intentional since the main character is a schizo.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

5. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Sooo...anyone want to attempt to explain what the hell the ending was about? I honestly have no idea what was supposed to have happened.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I was entertained enough, and I'm definitely not a Craven fan. You think this is the worst movie that he's directed? I have two words for you: DEADLY. FRIEND. And if you think this was bad, just think how awful it would've been had Dimension gotten it's hands on it!

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I caught this during it's theatrical run and I have to say it's one of Craven's worst films.I've seen virtually his whole catalog and really,this is such a mess that I can't even see what he was going for with it.The film looks like it was being rewritten on the set,it bounces from really obvious scares to bits that I suppose are meant to be surreal but just come off as absurd.I'll give the actors a pass as I don't really think any of them get a sporting chance here,it would be tough to shine with this material.The only character I found mildly intriguing was the young religious zealot and she isn't on screen enough to really have a character arc.It's just a shame that after a long hiatus THIS is the film that puts Wes Craven back on the big screen.I pray that this isn't an omen warning us of SCREAM 4,that would be a real bust.I saw this in a fleatrap theater that was half full,an audience who would usually sit still for anything.By the end of the film there were only five people left in attendance.That's just sad.

8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

enjoyed the first 5-10 mins, fast paced, energetic, and then it's all down hill after that, one of the worst films i've seen this year so far.

9. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Agreed. What an opening! I've seen much worse, overall, but I'm glad this was just a rental for me.

10. Blackheart

Blackheart Member

Double post

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  11. Blackheart

Blackheart Member

I suppose I'm in the minority with the opening - I found it utterly ludicrious! And the movie didn't get any better from there. I mean, I wasn't exactly clamouring for a mash-up of Elm Street and Shocker.

The people who inhabit this picture must've come straight from Stepford - they never felt like real people, so I felt no reason to care about them.

And what was with the stupid noises the killer kept making??

12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I saw Deadly Friend and I actually thought it was more entertaining than this abysmal crap. I've watched a slew of horror films lately that I found at the very least engaging or fun-The Last Exorcism, Hatchet II, Frozen, Buried, Let Me In...but My Soul To Take was horrendously bad.
    The acting was atrocious and the dialogue was unintentionally hilarious, I just could not get into this and thought about turning it off many times. Ludicrous and terrible the whole way through, I'm a fan of Wes Craven but this was just a horrible effort.
    Was the killer supposed to be a cross between Jigsaw, Predator and a Rastafarian?
    Worst horror film I've seen in the past year.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i read a review on dvdtalk that said they thought it was well shot, and i have to agree. some of the forest scenes looked really good, and the beginning, while nothing at all original, and incredibly ridiculous, had a lot of energy to it. even the first death of the kid on the bridge felt fairly decent, and i was starting to think people were over-reacting. then the giant bird suit showed up. holy shit did this movie just keep getting worse and worse. by the time the ending arrives, its like nobody even gave a shit anymore. nothing is even remotely supposed to make sense by the time it all "wraps up."
    some personal favorite moments:
    - our hero gets the shit kicked out of him (we're talking knee-to-the-face here) by a girl who probably weighs 80 lbs.
    - the badass jock is seen bench pressing an intimidating...what? looks to be about 50 lbs. there...oooooooo
    - a blind character who can apparently make it all the way across town, up a wall, and in a friend's bedroom window, all by himself!
    - spontaneous unprecedented narration as the film comes to a close!

14. maybrick

You know the girl that runs away after finding the other girl dead by the old ambulance? The next time you see her she has blood smeared all over the back of her jacket for no apparent reason. Did anybody else catch that?

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

absolutely! i pointed it out to my wife as we were watching. seems pretty obvious there was a scene cut somewhere before that. i really hope a directors cut of this comes out. maybe craven can pull an oliver stone and just keep releasing cut after cut, each time saying "no, no, no...really...THIS is my preferred version. Do you like it NOW?" Strangely I'm starting to feel the need to watch this again. Maybe rhett was right. it is the next generation's Troll 2!

16. maybrick

I almost got the impression that there wasn't a scene removed, but rather after they shot the part where the killer drags her body across the ground, Craven decided that they REALLY needed to shoot the part where she was running through the woods. Only, due to lack of budget, the wardrobe department only had one jacket made for her to wear so they closed their eyes, rolled film, and prayed that nobody would notice. Or maybe the entire crew was too hopped up on goofballs to care about continuity. Any way you look at it it's amateur hour.

The film is crap, no two ways about it, but it's watchable crap. And hey, I liked the turkey buzzard outfit!

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I liked it too. in fact, when he started to build it at his desk i had a very pleasant flashback to patricia arquette building her papier mache freddy house in nightmare 3. what i thought was laughably awful was the classroom's reaction to the bird costume. i mean, unless the entire class is high as a kite, there's no way they'd be as freaked as they're supposed to be.