My thoughts on SLEEPLESS

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Rock, Apr 11, 2003.

1. blairmonster

blairmonster Guest

Oh, and chalk me up as another Sleepless lover. Classic stuff! The pan & scan Artisan transfer is ass, but a great movie! The first 20 is awesome...I agree dwatts.
    The hooker hiding in the rubbery part of the connecting cars...classic. I was on the edge of my seat!!
    The flute flashback seen was also great...very disturbing. Another great scene was when the one girl climbs that huge stairwell
    to come face to face with the killer in the security guard's uniform, brandishing a black ski mask, with creepy eyes underneath! I jumped so high in my seat!

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Oh man... I can't stand musicals in general, but Hedwig was one of the worst I've ever seen. I just wanted the main character to shut the fuck up!

3. marcx

marcx New Member

Reviving an old thread here but--in regards to sleeples tredging up Darios past--I just rewatched this as Im on one of my Argento kicks and I fell that that is intentional. If you notice the film is about aq series of killings that happened in the the past, then started up again.....Kind of like Darios return to the giallo. The whole film is sort of like an updated greatest hits piece--like when a band you like has been out of action for a while and return to the scene to concentrate on oldfavorites.....

Anywya I love sleepless just because the marriage of image and sound is so beautiful in it...

4. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate New Member

I thought Sleepless sucked. It sure didn't make me sleepless. :sleepy: I never made it all the way through it.

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I don't think you can watch an Argento film only once and really claim to give a valid opinion on it. Every time I watch one of his films I see it from a totally different prospective. I mean i have gone from totally hating some of his films to totally loving it, the very next viewing.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Hm, maybe I should watch Deep Red again. My first viewing of the AB DVD was quite blah. Same with Cat O Nine Tails. They were okay, but not up to the standard I had been expecting. Of course, Deep Red is saddled with the longer cut, which has quite a bit of boring dialog (personal opinion, of course).

I always give Argento a chance though. Some have not grown on me with multiple viewings (Trauma, for instance) but he's always worth your time.

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Actually that's the film I was referring to when I said I loved it the second viewing. Maybe you will think differently of it the second time as I did..

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I agree with Dwatts, SLEEPLESS is fantastic, and the first 20 minutes are wonderful. I liked it because it was a return to the way he used to make movies. It may not have been as flashy or nice-looking as Deep Red or Suspiria, but I enjoyed the story and Max Von Sydow is great.

9. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

just watched sleepless. i tried to watch deep red and the switching back and fourth of soundtracks made me turn it off. i haven't seen tenebre yet and i fell asleep at the end of suspiria and can't remember much of it anyway. that said, if this movie was mocking some of his past movies, i wouldn't know. so, standing on its own, i thought the movie was o.k. the kill scenes were great to me and it had a couple of scares too
    the one at the top of the stairs was mentioned and when the dummy popped out of the bag i jumped also
    the one thing that really pissed me off is when they show the writting on the guy's hand, they don't translate it into english. i still don't know what it said. i have the widescreen medusa disc but maybe it was translated for you on the artisan one.
    also, how the hell did the cop know to shoot the guy from downstairs? that could have been anyones head. maybe he saw the girl being held at knife point but i dunno :rolleyes:
    all in all i say it was o.k. i am a big fan of opera but this one didn't do anything special for me. i found my recent viewing of bird w/crystal plummage to be more entertaining also. one last gripe about this movie. i don't know how it was actually spelled, but the characters name made me giggle every time they said it: JACK-A-MOE :p

10. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Great Argento movie.
    I enjoyed this movie more than Stendahl,but since I haven't seen that the way it was meant to be (I have the Dutch = muddy disc) I can't really compare the two.I need to watch Stendahl again.....
    ??????
    It's just English writing and Moretti reads it out loud too:
    I'm a bad boy
    Or are there different versions out there?
    I have the Dutch disc and they used the Medusa print (including the behind the scenes doc)

11. wizzer

thanks. i must have missed it if he said it aloud. also i haven't seen the dutch stendahl, but it has to be better than the troma disc. and the writting on his hand in my version of sleepless was definately in italian.

12. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

The film is terrific. The R1 release is not. :eek2:

13. Luna

Luna Guest

Giacomo :D

I loved Sleepless a whole lot, especially the train sequence. Since I also have the Medusa version, I can't even begin to imagine how it looks on the R1 release. It makes me weep thinking about it.

14. Crystal Plumage

So my question is now:Are there two different prints out there?
    According to Wizzer the writing on the man's hand was in Italian,but in my version it's definitely in English.Anyone know?

15. wizzer

i'm trying to get a screen cap of the hand to make sure mine is indeed in italian, and i cant remember where in the movie that part is now :( who's hand is it on? and when? :p

16. Crystal Plumage

The writing is at 00:55:46

17. wizzer

i knew i wasn't crazy (for seeing italian writting)

[​IMG]

18. wizzer

moretti also says
    "i'm a bad boy"
    so quietly, it's almost not heard.

19. Crystal Plumage

It's a totally different take!Did they insert this into the international release or something?
    I think I'll have to check out the Medusa disc since mine seems improperly framed.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  20. wizzer

i was looking at the two takes and thinking the framing might be off but chances are it's just a couple seconds off from yours- you know not the exact same frame. but if yours is non anamorphic and a little muddy, maybe you should give the medusa disc a try just for the quality. :) it looks great i think.