My trip to Profondo Rosso shop

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by marcx, May 24, 2004.

1. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Boooooooooo.

I was in sicily and I had a connect flight back to Greece via Rome. I had four hours there.
    Went to Profondo Rosso.
    "Went to fish the Lochness monster - open from the 27th of August".

Nervous breakdown.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I once planned a stop over in paris just so i could go to the Lourve. When I got there, it was closed for the day for "cleaning". :D

3. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Well... it's always nice to know that you're not alone. :)

4. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

We are still waiting for the pics. :)

5. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

i've been to Profondo Rosso in Rome as well. I bought some italian posters from Inferno and phenomena. The shop is very small and Cozzi was not there when I was, so in 15 minutes I was done and on my way. A good experience and a must visit for horror fans in Rome.

6. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Yes, I went there this summer. There was some lady I did not recognize working there. I spent a fortune there, actually. Not that I bought much, but the prices are quite high. Door Into Darkness alone costed something around 70 euros I think ... Also went to the museum downstairs and took a few pics there. I'm not sure if I was allowed to, but I was all by myself and thought it would be too embarassing to go upstairs again to ask for permission ;)

It was a nice experience but would have been better had I not been alone (my friends were too tired to be bothered with my mekka) or had Argento been there in person :) No such luck. Very fun store, packed with interesting stuff. And I also second visiting Rome. Wonderful city!

If anyone wants the pics, I can post them in the mug shots thread as soon as I get back home from Denmark ;)

7. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Post Please.

Also, what kind of Dvd's do they have there?

8. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

They have most of Argento's stuff (I think it was mostly Italian versions, but there might have been some Anchor Bay stuff as well) and some other Italian horror titles, and then a few American horror/sci-fi titles. Not much to choose from, though. Lots and lots of memorabilia though! :)

9. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Aaaaand almost 2 years later, as promised, my pics from the Profondo Rosso Store! :D

First some front views of the store from the outside ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then, the inside ... (I didn't have a very good camera at the time, so some of the pics are slightly blurred ...)

[​IMG]
    Demons

[​IMG]
    Freddy Krueger (!) + Opera

[​IMG]
    Closer view of Opera

[​IMG]
    Phenomena - Love this one! :D

[​IMG]
    And the Man's chair!

Hope you like!

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Cool stuff,always wanted to go there.

11. Conal Cochran

Conal Cochran New Member

My mother in law has gone to Profondo rosso a couple of years ago. She did bing me an original poster of Four flies on grey velvet.

12. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Very cool to see those photos PI!!!! We took a couple photos downstairs but the flash wasn't good enough- found out when the film was developed.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Looks like i've got two nights in Rome to round out my honeymoon cruise in September. Google maps says the shop is 5 km away from the hotel. Anyone know if cabs are affordable over there?

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Italy is a very expensive country.

And 5 km is nothing... just walk slowly and enjoy the city.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. Either that or public transit.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

My wife and I took a vacation to Europe a few weeks ago. First time being there for either of us. We spent 3 days in London, 3 in Paris, and then 3 in Rome. It was exhausting! But a hell of a lot of fun.

We went to Profondo Rosso when we were in Rome. Cozzi was there, just chilling out behind the counter. I wasn't even sure it was him, at first. I'm sure I acted like an idiot after asking him if he was, in fact, Luigi Cozzi. I looked at my wife and said "Holy shit, this is Luigi Cozzi!" She had no idea who that was, of course. I've never been into horror conventions or any of that kind of thing, so I think he's probably the first person from the film industry that I've ever met.

There was no one else in the store, so we chatted a little bit. I told him how much I liked StarCrash and Contamination, and he seemed amused when I mentioned how the egg-laying alien at the end of Contamination pre-figured Cameron's alien queen from Aliens, and that it seemed quite evident that Cameron had ripped him off. We talked a bit about filming Two Evil Eyes in Pittsburgh, and about what a shame it was that physical media is in decline. He was just really cool.

I picked up two of the 9 books that they've translated into English. "Directed by Lewis Coates" and "The making of Deep Red". He was nice enough to autograph the one about him, and personalized it too. I also bought an Italian giallo mystery book. Its not exactly an original - this one was published in the early 80's, but it's got the yellow jacket and lurid cover illustration. It was only 3 euros, so even though I'll never be able to read it, it's still a cool piece of the genre. I told Cozzi that I also wanted to buy a movie, something made in Italy, so we went through the few titles that he had. I would have liked to buy something by him, but the only thing he had that I didn't already own was a copy of Paganini Horror on DVD, with only an Italian language track and no subs. So instead I decided to upgrade my MYA 4 Flies DVD to the Shameless BD. It was pretty expensive (30 euros), but, like others here have said, I just wanted to buy something from the store, and wasn't really thinking about the price. Looking at amazon.co.uk now, I see I could have saved myself about 10 euros if I'd ordered it online, but I'd rather have the copy I have, knowing where I got it. All told I think I spent maybe 80 euros, and he threw in a free Profondo Rosso keychain :D

I convinced my wife to come into the museum with me, and she was actually pretty impressed. We had just watched Opera, so she recognized the set from that. There was some pretty great stuff down there, and well worth the 3 euros each. I especially liked the voice over narration by Cozzi that he started up before we went down. "Don't be afraid of being eaten by these zombie's...they're still full from the last bunch of tourists who came through here." :lol: Or something to that effect.

We took lots of pictures, and he was nice enough to pose with me for one just before we left. I'll put some of them up when I get home. Great experience, though. Definitely recommend everyone get there if they can.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Great read! Sounds like it was worth the trip alone haha, I'm jealous!

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Here are some of the photos we took. I think someone already posted some shots of the guy from opera and the kid from phenomena. So here's one of the exterior, one of me and Cozzi, one from Demons, one from Two Evil Eyes, and one from The Church. Apparently they're all original props. It was pretty cool to see the grisly chopped woman from two evil eyes and the actual demon prop with the protruding fingernails. the one from the church was lit in blue light, but it was so dark you can't really make it out in the one we took without the flash. so i posted the one with the flash.

edit: I'm not sure why the one of Luigi Cozzi is on its side. If anyone can tell me how to fix it I'd appreciate it. The original file displays properly on my computer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah i ended up stopping by last year. It's a very small and cramped little store. It's expensive to buy anything there but the basement museum is worth the $3 and it's fun to meet an italian horror director in person. It's not really worth going out of your way for but it's worth stopping by if you're in Rome.

20. deepred

deepred Member

I hope I get to Italy one day!