Mya Communication - new company - take note

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by The Chaostar, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

So, how legit is MYA ?
    http://www.dvdaf.com/releases.html?...s&init_form=str0_pub_MYA+Communication*rgn_us
    http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37559&page=7

2. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

They are also doing a release of Blood Castle by Grau, and I am excited by that one as I haven't seen it in about 25 years!

3. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I noticed that on dvdaf as well. I'll be picking up Absurd and Island of the Fishmen. Only a few video-nasties left not on dvd!

4. Crystal Plumage

5. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

6. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Probably all of their current ones, save for Four Flies. The rights holders would have come crawling out of the woodwork already for some of their earlier releases.

Unless the company who "sold" Mya the rights to Four Flies is also the source for some of their other titles.

I'm waiting to see just how this unfolds before I label Mya a bootleg company. So far, it sounds like negligent business practices to me. I find it hard to believe that Mya would even try to release an Argento film in Europe (Italy especially) with the full knowledge that they had not properly paid for the rights.

But, I'm sure we'll get the whole story in time, especially with Dario beginning legal proceedings against Mya.

7. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I hope we don't have another Substance/Jef Films on our hands. I had my suspicions in the other thread.

8. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Glad I snagged a copy of Four Flies when I did. If anyone else has been hasn't picked this up yet, I'd do it before it goes OOP.

9. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Aaah! So that's why when I ordered 4 Flies last week there was "none in stock". Vavavoom! Damn...

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hmm... very interesting. I'm now glad I picked up my copy already!

11. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I hope HORRIBLE, a.k.a. ABSURD still makes it to DVD even if it is a bootleg! I'm sick of my full screen VHS from 1985 and want a widescreen, remastered DVD damnit!

12. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about Dr. Hitchcock. That is one of my most desired films. I'd gladly settle for a bootleg and endorsing shitty behavior if it meant getting a decent copy of this. After that, I'd be all "fuck those bastards"

13. meddle

meddle Member

The note posted by Luigi Cozzi on the Profondo Rosso Store Home web page is only referring to the Italy DVD release that was coming out from Distribution 01. If you read his comments carefully it is obvious that the US DVD release from Mya has nothing to do with the legal action that is being alluded to since he also mentions on his webpage that Dario and Claudio own only the rights to the film outside of the US.

14. meddle

meddle Member

That list of titles was never set in stone and was a list of possible titles. It is possible that in the case of Wild Wild Planet that they were looking into the obtaining the rights to release it. The list of their perspective titles that has been making its rounds "is absolutely not final and changes may occurs". I also find it hard to believe that Ryko is so poorly run that they would help distribute product that is not legit. Ryko is owned by Warner Brothers who originally released Wild Wild Planet in the US.

15. meddle

meddle Member

16. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Looks like some good exploitation...and finally, the Hunchback of the Morgue.

Can't wait.

17. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

So, is Absurd ever going to be released?

18. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

You can buy it now at diabolikdvd.com. Id grab it before it goes OOP. I have a feeling MYA wont be around long. I do hope im wrong though.

19. Crystal Plumage

Absurd is available IIRC.

The only title on that list for me would be Human Cobras, though it's not one of the best Gialli out there. Not even sure it's a Giallo. Might be enjoyable nonetheless.

But....fullscreen? No way Jose! The crappy quality discussed here is in what seems to be 1.85:1:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  20. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

hmm, i really don't want to bash these guys, since they are releasing quite obscure trash flicks AND we all had the chance to buy great editions of some of these movies when NoShame was around, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired

* i don't care for the lack of extras, because i'll listen to an interview 1 time and then never again, nice to have them, but, as the name implies, they are extras
    * i can live with the fact that video quality isn't always superb, more serviceable, but then again, maybe we are spoiled?
    * but damn-it, if you include foreign language tracks and do NOT include subs with them (which is crap when the English track is in the worst shape), that's quite poor

honestly, i still haven't ordered Four Flies On Grey Velvet because this release is highly flawed, i probably will buy this, but like i said elsewhere on this forum, they really are a NoShame Light

still, keep on the good work of releasing such obscure material, because if you guys don't do it, who will?:evil: