Mya Communication - new company - take note

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by The Chaostar, Oct 21, 2008.

1. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it...) this has not been the case with any of the releases I've bought from them over the past 2 years or so, at least not as far as I know.

2. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

True, but for every crappy VHS sourced copy there's an original. At least in most cases.
    Fact remains ofcourse that most Italian companies want too large amounts of money for them.

3. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

let's be honest : most releases of them wouldn't even cut it about 4 years ago quality-wise, even soundly beaten by themselves when they ran NoShame US

i have a couple (Four Flies On Grey Velvet, Horrible, Door Into Darkness, Blood Castle) and these are adequate, but looking at most screen caps from some of their other releases, putting VHS-like dupes on a DVD isn't going to win them any fans, even if they release movies that no-one else would touch

4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

As cool as they'd be to have I don't think that the original VHS tapes are really a good option or a feasible one in most cases. Some of them are expensive as hell, the few original VHS copies of Giallo A Venezia (I use this as an example because it's the title I want most from that list they put online a while back.) I've seen on ebay have gone for $200+, the tapes were PAL (not a problem for me but probably will be for most in North America, even more so than with DVD), and they were probably not English friendly either. Even if price, system, and language weren't an issue their DVD would still win out because there is not really any chance of further quality degradation like with VHS so long as the DVD was properly manufactured.
    I know I'm probably not convincing anyone that they're good here and I'll admit I don't think that they're really an ideal label but they make all these movies a lot more accessible and attractive compared to the alternatives and I think they deserve way more credit than people give them.

5. Crystal Plumage

You're absolutely right about those VHS', no doubt about that. And although I really want to see many of the more obscure movies out there, I still stand by my earlier post:

6. Crystal Plumage

Just read this about that new label "One 7 Movies" :
    I'm not surprised.

Looks like they're going the "X-Rated Kult" route (changed their name numorous times and some dodgy releases)

7. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

That's disappointing...I just canceled the preorders I had on a few of their releases.

8. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

How did a legit company like No Shame get reduced to MYA? i love my no shame releasees.Id still rather pay more and have the NS releasees.

sean

9. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

same here, No Shame was amazing

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Looks like these are out of print (they may have been for a while now, not sure).

Only ones I got were Horrible and Graveyard Disturbance. I thought they were too expensive at the time, but now I'm glad I got them when I did.

11. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

My last MYA purchase was the 1987 Predator ripoff ALIEN FROM THE DEEP. Typically cheesy, bad Italian cash-in but still a fun watch. The label was by no means a quality company but I always admire the will of people who at least try to put stuff out, especially movies that nobody else will touch. I'm sure the people behind the label were diehard film buffs and if they had more money they would've tried to build the label up but the fact of the matter is not many people buy this stuff. At least not many people blind-buy many of the films if the quality is known to be barely watchable.

12. Crystal Plumage

Their DVDs were just too damn expensive for what they were: Barebone releases in (mostly) mediocre quality.
    I only have Mario Caiano's Without Trace. A nice "school girl in peril" Giallo.
    Quality was fine on that one.

13. Christy

Christy Member

Yeah that is why I never purchased any myself. I refuse to pay more then $15 for DVDs anymore. DVDs need to go bye bye they are over priced garbage and scratch easily.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Are you sure that one was a MYA release? I thought it was from some studio called One 7 Movies.

It's just weird that there was never much information out there about MYA as a company. I can't remember them ever even having a website..

I only ever owned a few of their releases, the two Argento titles and Horrible. I got rid of the Four Flies DVD as soon as the superior UK Blu-ray showed up.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  15. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Pretty sure MYA and One 7 Movies are the same people.

16. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeep!!

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Watched the MYA release of Horrible, aka Absurd, aka Antropophagus 2, and found it to be a welcome upgrade from my old Monster Hunter VHS. I must say though the 2nd source they used was awful! Thankfully it's only like 5% of the film, but yeesh, my Wizard VHS looks 10x better.

18. Drinkinstein

Drinkinstein Member

Holy crap! I've had that Mya DVD of Horrible for ages and never watched it! It kind of snuck onto my shelf unwatched and was forgotten till now. I'm gonna throw this on tonight, thanks for the reminder :)

19. Mutilated Prey

Haha, yeah do the zoom on your HD tv and it'll fill in nicely. It's like a 1:66 non-anamorphic dealy.

20. Mutilated Prey

A horror movie with a bunch of Italians watching the Steelers and Rams Super Bowl eating spaghetti :)