Need advice for buying my first Laserdisc Player

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by buck135, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

Dvdo iscan hd+

Paff wasn't as impressed with it.

2. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Would one of the Pioneer CLD-S104's selling for less than $100 on eBay be a good way to get into LaserDisc if what I'm looking to do is rip them to DVD-R? Would the picture quality be simlair to a more expensive model? Does LaserDisc use copy protection that would require me to have a TBC to create rips? TIA

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Picture quality would NOT be as good on a S104 vs. a more expensive model. But there's no copy protection on LD, so just feed the video into whatever capture device you have, and you're good to go.

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Thanks Paff. Is eBay the best place for me to be looking if I'm not looking to break the bank?

This picture of a D503 shows an Audio button on the front panel. Is it safe to assume I won't need a remote?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Much better player. That's "mid-range", an improvement over the entry level players like the 104, but not as good as the higher end players like 703 or 704, Elites, or those really crazy good Japanese models.

The "audio" button is a head-scratcher though! I've never seen that function on a front panel, only on the remote. It might be what you need to access commentary tracks, but don't hold me to it. If it doesn't do that though, you can get pretty much any Pioneer remote.

6. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I've been looking locally and found someone offering a Pioneer DVL-91 in excellent condition for less than $200. That doesn't line up with your recommendation so I figured I'd ask if you thought that was a good place to start for the money? I read on some other forums and it appears to be decently respected model but wasn't sure if less than $200 was a good price. And if I'd be better off snipping a beat up CLD-503 off ebay for a little less. TIA

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I don't have a lot of experience with the combi LD/DVD players, but it is an "Elite" model, which were often the better players. I'd say for less than $200, grab it.

8. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

Just bagged myself a Pioneer LD-V8000 a couple of days ago.
    It's untested for playback although powers up and the tray ejects OK. I'm hoping the 'Industrial' part of its namesake lives up to that! Can't complain at $99 though for a gamble...

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I don't know anyone that's had one of those industrial players, but in going to the UK Laserdisc page (http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/pioneer1.htm) I see that at least it has outputs for the digital and analog tracks (most of the industrial players only feature the analog tracks). Obviously it's not gonna have the capability to play both sides though.

10. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

I was looking at a Pioneer LD-S1 too (still available on eBay.com) but it's way too expensive and with import fees it would cost just over $700 :(
    The older players really appeal to me though with their build quality/looks.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

One of my old LD sources back in the day also preferred older players for their heavier power supplies. And as a tube amp guy, he liked the analog audio.

The problem is that LD's video is an analog source, and as TVs got better, LD needed better video processing. You get that on the "newer" players, not as much on the old. As I've mentioned to many first time LD player buyers here in this forum, you'll notice an improvement in video quality on the better players. It's not like DVD where one is pretty much as good as the next.

One of these days though, I do wanna see what those high-end Japanese players looks like...

12. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

finally, she arrives. Cleaned up nice and in great condition. Great build quality (and heavy!) :)

Now I need a 120V stepdown converter for power :D

Attached Files:

13. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

Well luckily the 8000 works a charm. Picture and sound quality are much nicer in motion than the D515. Build quality is great on these players.

The remote from my D515 works partially (able to configure audio outputs and scan). Although I need a dedicated remote for chapter select... a few of those on fleabay - even have the ability to connect and control from PC via RS232 although that's a little overkill!

Looking at another player now - as the 8000 is NTSC only I could do with a decent PAL player for a disc I have....! I'm really getting into this and have spent a bloody fortune over the past 3 months, I am buying no more discs until next year now! :D

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015