New 4K transfers of titles from Something Weird library

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by satans-sadists, Oct 20, 2016.

1. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

Might not be 'lame bs'. According to DiabolikDVD:

"AGFA HAS DELAYED THIS RELEASE TEMPORARILY. IT WILL STILL BE FORTHCOMING BUT WITH MORE CONTENT THAN PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED!"

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Back when Vinegar Syndrome had movies available to download off their site with an optional donation payment, Fleshpot and Guru were available via that route. Guru looked pretty good but Fleshpot had a lot of damage, but I thought that kind of added to it.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

And a poster on Blu-ray.com "heard" that the VS's print had more footage than what SWV has (based on theatrical showings I guess?). So they may be working something out between each other. Both studios have worked with other studios on titles so it seems a natural partnership.

4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

So even though they claim that this will be “released eventually on home video via. AGFA” Diabolik cancelled and refunded my pre-order for Fleshpot on 42nd Street/Guru: The Mad Monk over the weekend saying that AGFA requested that they cancel all pre-orders, they must be real confident about this release...

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

And I don't blame them for canceling orders. With the long delays releases can get behind and piss off customers. Add in the upcoming holidays and that may add another three or more months.

It's been a year and a half now on Dorado Films's Jess Franco Vol. 2 for example. Sometimes you gotta quit while you're behind!

russweiss likes this.
  6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I would have just let it ride had there been a choice, it was already paid for so all I had to do was wait for it to be mailed whenever it was released and if it gets canceled altogether I’m sure Diabolik would give me my money back then anyway.

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I also keep wondering when the Franco Vol 2 set is ever going to be released.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah. Similar situation too. Dorado has theatrical prints they scan without much post work, slap it on a disc, and call it good. Not sure what the hold up is there besides the "personal reasons" they've given for past delays.

I give SWV a little more credit but they're mostly working with theatrical prints, they don't do extensive cleanup and they don't produce much in way of extras (they supplement with other contemporary films).

IF Vinegar Syndrome has become involved, and that's a big IF, we may have a case where they are working with VS but VS not only scans their own films but other companies like Severin. So VS may have said, "Sure, you can use our print, but let's take a new scan. And you gotta go to the back of the line. And we can't give you a definite date this far out when that will be completed." It could be as simple as that.

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Coming July 16th from AGFA + Something Weird: Satanis: The Devil's Mass + Satan's Children

[​IMG]

https://www.americangenrefilm.com/releases/satanis-the-devils-mass/

“If you’re going to be a sinner, be the best sinner on the block.” -- Anton Szandor LaVey

SATANIS: THE DEVIL’S MASS is the unseen and unbelievable exposé on Anton LaVey, photogenic founder of the Church of Satan. Feeling like a bedtime story as told by Kenneth Anger and Russ Meyer, this is a wild glimpse into the witches, black masses and sex lives that built San Francisco’s most infamous cult.

From LaVey’s daughter (“I think they’re nuts!”) to a nude woman who performs a satanic rite with a Boa constrictor, you’ll meet numerous proto-goths, midnight maniacs and daytime Draculas -- and even a pet tiger named Togare. In the words of LaVey, “There is a beast in man that should be exercised, not exorcised!”

https://www.americangenrefilm.com/releases/satans-children/

“The entire film is so strange and off-kilter that the third-act swerve into BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA territory is the least surprising thing here. This is what Tampa is really like.” -- Evan Purchell, Letterboxd

Made by one-and-done filmmakers in the gutters of Tampa, SATAN'S CHILDREN is an Afterschool Special from the depths of hell...literally.

Bobby is a troubled teen with problems. After deflecting his father's insults and his stepsister's come-ons, Bobby unknowingly ends up at a gay bar. Before long, he's sexually assaulted by four guys in the backseat of a car. With nowhere else to turn, Bobby joins a cult of Satanists to enact his murderous revenge. A truly deranged gut-punch, this is a gritty and baffling ''experience'' that could have only happened in Florida.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
    - 2K preservation of Satanis from a 16mm theatrical print!
    - 2K preservation of Satan's Children from a 35mm theatrical print!
    - Sizzling shorts from Beelzebub's vault!
    - Torrid trailers from Lucifer's archive!
    - Reversible cover art!

I've never heard of either film, but they look fascinating.

10. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I have both films on old something weird dvd releases. They're far out, and I have to say both films are jaw dropping.

11. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

I've seen Satanis and don't necessarily need to see it again but I'm very interested in Satan's Children so for that, I will probably bite

12. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

Laveys cool, and I absolutely Love Satan's children. A fucked up.classic

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I listened to the recent Shock Waves podcast with the AGFA team from a screening of Don't Panic. They dropped a few little disc details, most of which are already out there, but they were clarified a bit more here than they have been in other online news sources:

- AGFA has a rare print of Don't Panic and have been doing theatrical screenings of it. They've transferred and restored it for release, however they have been unable to acquire the rights. They are trying to work something out, but at this point in time there are no plans for a disc release.

- A disc release of Tammy And The T-Rex is in the works, and yes it is the R-rated gore cut. AGFA is doing the restoration, however they are doing the work for another label. This news was already out there, but the reports were that AGFA would be releasing it themselves.

- AGFA is in the process of scanning and restoring the filmography of Doris Wishman. There have been rumors that Arrow is working on a release similar to their H.G. Lewis set, so they are most likely the ones releasing this. Also, these films were held by the same rights owner as the H.G. Lewis filmography.

Arrow supposedly has a similar William Grefé boxset in the works as well, but it wasn't mentioned here. I imagine AGFA will do doing those restorations from the Something Weird catalogue.

MorallySound likes this.