New DVD Release Of Carnival Of Souls

Discussion in 'Classic' started by cultfilmfan, Aug 9, 2004.

1. cultfilmfan

cultfilmfan Guest

Hey everyone -- check this out!

Mike Nelson does the commentary on a new DVD release of Carnival Of Souls (1962)

The DVD ncludes All-New Color Version and the Original Black and White Version
    Audio Commentary by Mike Nelson of TV’s “Mystery Science Theater 3000”
    Digitally Restored and Remastered Video
    Digitally Remixed 5.1 Surround Sound
    Original Theatrical Trailer in color
    Classic Horror Trailers (check out the trailer for The Flesh Eaters -- it is hilarious!)

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Jesus. I'll just stick with my Criterion 2-disc version. Colorization is not a priority for me.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Are we going through a phase of coloring old films again?

4. cultfilmfan

cultfilmfan Guest

The color is nothing like the stuff done in the 80's and 90's - the color is historically accurate to the locations and very detailed, and also captures the mood of the film -- in addition the 5.1 soundtrack is very well done, despite the fact that it was extracted from a mono source.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The color is fake. It's that simple to me. The film was made in black and white. I guess respecting these films is too much to ask now. Color them, remix the sound to satisfy home theater nut. Sorry, think it's a sickness. Others might like it, but I don't like this retroactive redoing.

The best way to "capture the mood of the film" is to watch it in black and white.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

DVD Beaver did a review of Reefer Madness which got the same transfer process as Carnival of Souls and Night of the Living Dead will get:
    http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDCompare2/reefermadness/reefermadness.html

It really doesn't look much better than the coloring done in days of yore. I'll agree the restoration is REALLY good but the color job is like a trip to candy land, there's a reason they've included a Mike Nelson commentary on all of these.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

:D Holy cow! I 100% agree X-Human, that looks no better than the old style recoloring. Urgh.

8. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

Sure, while we're at it, why don't we colorize Ikiru and The Third Man! People that colorize films should just give up on life and leap off the nearest high rise. :fire:

9. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I just can't imagine Carnival of Souls in color.

It's perfect as-is.

10. Morg

Morg Guest

I'm happy with my Criterion version, but I think there's something to be said about the mood and atmosphere of a film in it's black and white state. For me, COS maintains more of a underlying mood than it does "frights". That's what I like about the film. Personally, I have no problem with the 5.1 upgrade, but it's nice to see them offer it in it's original mono state as well. Wonder if that's the case here?

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Sounds is as important as color, imo. Anyway, as most seem to agree, there IS beauty in black and white. It has it's own palette, it's own ambiance. Black and white is not about the lack of color - which is what some of these people seem to forget. Look at Reefer Madness - is there really going to be a new market for that film because it's now color? Are newbies going to be confused, and think it's a new film? :D

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The Criterion isn't OOP, is it? I still need to get this flick. Anyway, I do prefer the original version of any film. If it was meant to be in B&W, then thats what i want it in. Now if they include a colorized version with it, then I'm not going to complain, it'll atleast give me something to laugh at.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  13. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I might get this since all I have is the Diamond version. I don't care about the colorization. It says it will have the original black and white version too and if it looks good I'll go for it. The Mike Nelson commentary on it helps a small bit too.

14. Morg

Morg Guest

It's still in print, but with Criterion you never know for how long, as I think they're sometimes under a limited contract agreement. Although I'm no expert on this...

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I don't think the Criterion is OOP. Let's be honest, it's definitive for this title.

16. Dave

Dave Pimp

cultfilmfan: Posting advertisements is not allowed on this forum. I'll allow this thread to remain, since it's horror related, but I've removed the links from your message.

This release is garbage, pure and simple. No B&W movie needs to be colorized. And you're not going to get any buyers from this forum; try the Fango message boards instead.

17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Though pricey, Criterion is usually the final word in DVD releases, the ones I have seen including the Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter film are awesome. I also agree that black and white has a charm all its own and colorizing these old films is a bad idea, imagine Hitchcock's Psycho in color..just doesn't work for me.

18. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Yea the colorization does suck but I feel like Criterion over charges for dvds in my opinion, so like I said if the B/W transfer is good I may get this new disc.

19. Crazy Ralph

Crazy Ralph Guest

I'm pretty excited about hearing this news. I've wanted this movie so bad for so long, but was apprehensive about paying $60 for the Criterion release...... and now I can't find it anywhere, so the news of this new release is great to me. Although I can do without the colour....

I haven't seen anybody mention the release date though. Does anybody know it?

20. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

????$60??? You can get it at dvd empire for $27. The criterion version is the only way to go.A 5.1 track would be kind of cool for the organ music.But no thanks!