New DVD Release Of Carnival Of Souls

Discussion in 'Classic' started by cultfilmfan, Aug 9, 2004.

1. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Raplh, look around, you can find the Criterion 2-disc version for a hell of a lot cheaper. That being said, I love my Criterion and won't spend a dime on a colorized CoS. Pretty soon there will be a Coca Cola banner behind the Mona Lisa.

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I have a bunch of Criterion's and i have purchesed about 80% of them off of ebay. You can usually pick them up there for around $15 - $25 + shipping depending on the film

3. I think he's talking $60 Canadian for the discs...

I paid $62 for my Criterion Carnival but I got it at Blockbuster and they like to gouge

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Carnival of Souls is in the public domain I believe, as is The Most Dangerous Game, so I don't believe Criterion will be losing distribution rights any time soon. :D

But I love this quote from the description, "color version that will thrill the horror film fan and horrify the film purist." What kind of horror fan really wants Night of the Living Dead in color? Sure if you've got someone looking for a lark, but I really can't see someone who watches horror for the art of horror getting a "thrill" from seeing something composed for scare in black and white be washed down by color.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I guess I'll pick up the Criterion....after my Fall spending. :D

6. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The Criterion is definitely the way to go when it comes to owning this masterwork. An amazing set for an amazing film, and like with any Criterions I want, I bought it for full price on release day. I adore this film with every fiber of my being, and I would never watch a colorized version.

7. Crazy Ralph

Crazy Ralph Guest

Yeah.... that's $60 Canadian eh! (about $19.95 US - just kidding).Thanks for the tip ASH.... I'll have to check it out.

8. cultfilmfan

cultfilmfan Guest

The coloring of Carnival in this new DVD version was done to match the actual color of the locations (such as the organ factory, the church, and Saltair) as much as possible and also to retain the mood of the more creepier parts. in addition, the flesh tones are varied to match the various skin complextions and even the color shades of the cars are matched to be as accurate as possible.

Also, keep in mind that concept of colorization is not new -- did you know that many of the B/W classics we see on TV (especially the silent movies) actually contain sequences that were actually "color tinted" -- does that mean that we should protest that fact that the films have been altered when do not see the tinted sequences as orginally placed in the film when they are shown on TV? Example: the orpahanage fire in the Original Mighty Joe Young was originalyl filmed and processed with a red/sepia tone. The opening credits of the movie "Them" originally had the titles in Color against a B/W film BKG.

Also, remember that many films made during WWII were made in B/W for budgetary reasons, not artistic reasons, due to War effort.

Also, what about the butchering that is done to Widescreen Movies when they are shown on standard television -- Where is the outcry when movies that were filmed and meant to be seen in there original widescreen format are Panned and Scanned to be shown on TV? Whenever I see the message: "The film has been reformatted to fit your TV screen" I just turn it off, which is my choice. Opponents of colorization also have this same choice.....

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

This is all ignoring a very simple fact, Carnival of Souls was photographed for Black & White. I've studied film lighting, you can't give me some jagon about trying to remain authentic with the colors to persuade me. The Director of Photography may have used different filters and gels while using color film inorder to achieve the look he wants, so what the objects "really" look like just plain doesn't matter, what the DP wanted you to see is what matters.

Also, tinting during the silent era and coloring of Mighty Joe Young were all done with the foresight during filming that this would be done. So bassically they WERE filming in color just as someone would for Technicolor, just done in a different manner. And just because someone doesn't film in color because of budgetary reasons doesn't mean they did not photograph artistically for black and white. Carnival of Souls was not, it was intended for black and white. PERIOD.

George A. Romero has denounce coloring of Night of the Living Dead and I can't see the film makers saying any different for Carnival of Souls. I empathise with you trying to make a sale, but all your points are absurd. Go with your strong point, the Mike Nelson commentary and film restoration. If these are indead public domain prints then it would have been wise for you guys to do this as a double feature instead of single additions, that's an easier sale against Criterion's release, Elite's Millennium release, Anchor Bay's release and the other Laugh Track coloration.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--The coloring of Carnival in this new DVD version was done to match the actual color of the locations--

What color what you want to use other than the ACTUAL color? Blue grass? Green sky?

--Also, keep in mind that concept of colorization is not new -- did you know that many of the B/W classics we see on TV (especially the silent movies) actually contain sequences that were actually "color tinted"--

Yeah, the people that MADE the film, color-tinted them. Regardless - Carnival of Souls was not one of them, was it? In tend not to like my classics in "Crayonvision". :)

--Also, remember that many films made during WWII were made in B/W for budgetary reasons, not artistic reasons, due to War effort.--

You know, it really doesn't matter. Carnival is a black and white film. If they had the money, perhaps it would have been 2.35:1, technicolor and stereo sound. The fact is, it wasn't. That's the beauty of it. This retrospective equiping of movies with acroutrements to satisfy a modern audience is horrible, imo. What's more, the film has aged - in the script and the performances. Coloring it won't make it new. It just makes it gaudy.

--Also, what about the butchering that is done to Widescreen Movies when they are shown on standard television -- Where is the outcry when movies that were filmed and meant to be seen in there original widescreen format are Panned and Scanned to be shown on TV?--

Oh boy, people have complained a ton about this on this board (and many others). I don't know how you could have missed it. Hang out some, it comes up time and time again.

I know you're trying to make a business here, but the way to do that is to give people something they want. If you have a Criterion level print, for a decent price, people might go for it. Color won't sway them, I think. But hopefully you know better, or your business is doomed.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Oh man, how could I have forgotten this one? Dwatts said it all, this board jumps on top of P&S releases more that most. There's not a single horror DVD that slips past our noses that's no in OAR without getting called on it. And most of the other DVDs get treated the same to.

Oh don't you worry, we will. We will. And don't be surprised if a few Off Color copies get kicked under the racks while we're picking up the Criterion versions. :D

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

13. Luna

Luna Guest

The colorization saddens me, but the MST3K love is pulling me in the direction of renting this sucker at Netflix if I can.

After all, I own the Criterion, so eh... no biggie. I just wanna hear Mike Nelson. :D

14. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Right on Luna and if it looks great there could be some criterion's kicked under the rack too. :p

15. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Im really disappointed in some of you. By not buying the superior Criterion and buying this piece of shit youre giving companys the exact wrong message.

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

BUY the Criterion... DON'T buy the Criterion.... What we do means jack shit to them. All these companies need to know is if the movie is public domain and the only message they care to hear is "KA-CHING! KA-CHING!".

I have the Criterion, by the way.

17. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

The definitive release is the Criterion. But I wouldn't mind renting the colorized version just to see what they do with it.

18. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

If a bastardized version sells better than a definitive release like the CC it tells them we will buy anything if its cheap. I dont know how you define Jack Shit but a company certainly would care if nobody bought their merchandise. IMO these people not only deserve to lose money on this but in a perfect world they would be getting kicked in the nutsack every five minutes.

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Since movies like Night of the Living Dead and Carnival of Souls are in the public domain, it takes very little for these companies to see a profit. They probably make their money back the moment they sign the deal with their distributors. Most people are not purists and don't care to spend $40 for the Criterion disc. That's just a fact of life. We're a minority. I believe if people want to sacrifice quality for cost, then that's their right. More power to them. For genre classics like these, there will always be enough interest to justify a definitive release, no matter how many average joe's buy the cheapo discs.

20. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I have to give them credit - the film looks really clean and they did a great job in that department. But the fact is, I don't like my movies looking like a comic book. Black and white films should stay that way, as the color adds nothing to them whatsoever and solely exists to please those Joe Six-Pack assholes who can't stand black and white.

Although I doubt Joe Six-Pack would ever buy a movie called Reefer Madness... :eek2:

I love Carnival of Souls and I'll probably end up getting the Criterion someday along the road. Yes, I know Dwatts. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2004