New Friday the 13th Boxset!!

Discussion in 'General' started by spawningblue, Aug 8, 2008.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

...try telling Anchor Bay that...(Hellraiser, Halloween, Evil Dead)....;)

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

We'll have to wait for the blu-ray. It's becoming quite clear now that Paramount are starting to focus a bit more on blu-ray than DVD, so you never know. Maybe they're just waiting to release it on blu. (Maybe they figured, well, everyone already has the boxset, so why don't we just give them the 3-D version they've been asking for?) Cuz seriously, you're still stuck with the boxset (because the other films have yet to be released), not like you're gonna toss the part 3 disc because it's still part of the whole boxset AND does have part 4 on it as well. Part 3 was clearly released for those who wanted to finally see the movie in 3-D. Releasing it as a 2-disc would've been stupid.

~Matt

3. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Not me, I'd be quite content. ;)

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Yeah, if that actually happened I would buy it no questions asked and be super happy.

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I hope so, and yes this whole time if you read my first post I have been talking about the ultimate Blu Ray set that is supposed to come out. I just don't think it would be too hard to include all the old extras and all the new ones on the Blu ray discs, even if they are only DVD quality. And the 3-D version of part 3 should be a gimme, but it worries me a bit as they didn't include it on the UK version. Oh, and the theatrical version of Part 1 would be awesome as well! Anyways, I feel I have realistic expectations, as for some of the other requests.

Uncut versions of all the movies, as awesome as that would be, I know that that probably will never happen. I don't think they will go out of their way searching for them, or if they even exist. Maybe one day they'll be searching in their vaults though and come across them. :D We can dream I guess...

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah sure that's realistic for a blu-ray release. But hey man I didn't mean to attack you personally. It's just that that happens to be a very common complaint from people, ("Paramount are lazy bastards") and quite frankly, it's bullshit. No they're not lazy. Look at the stellar job they've done with the transfers of parts 1 and 2, and many other transfers Paramount's done. They've always been pretty good with image quality. Sure they are lacking with some special editions, but Friday the 13th has received exceptional treatment on DVD and now on blu-ray, yet still people complain about bullshit.

~Matt

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Do you have anything new to say, Matt? Ever??

The broken-record act is getting mighty old.

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, do you? :D :D :D

~Matt

9. DVD-fanatic-9

Touche.

10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

BD: And I understand Paramount is going to release special editions of a few more of the films now?

Farrands: Yeah, after we finished His Name Was Jason, I was contacted by a guy who produces the special features for many of the Paramount DVDs, and he had been searching for a guy who really understands the franchise. And I think they had run into some issues on the reissues of Parts 1-3, and Paramount wanted to do new things, new material for 4-6, and consequently we'll be doing 7 and 8. They wanted somebody with a lot of knowledge to bring something new to the table. And after the things we didn't get on our show, it was a great opportunity for me to come in and work with the people who actually own this material and be able to give fans more of what they want. I can't promise that it will have everything that everybody has always wanted to see, but we're getting there. We're making progress. We've found some amazing things that nobody has ever taken the time to look for. My editor Andrew Kasch and I have just been scavenging the lowest dregs of the Paramount vaults to find the things that fans want to see. We've have limited success with some things, but we're working on it and believe me, there's so much passion behind it. We're doing our best to put something out that will hopefully make the fans more satisfied than they were with the previous versions that Paramount put out.

BD: Anything specific you can tell us that we might see?

Farrands: It's still being worked out, I can't say a lot. There will be some scenes, especially in part 4, that fans will be VERY interested in seeing. That's all I can say right now. But there are quite a few clips that have been recently uncovered thanks to our work. And it was a lot of work!

more at: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/interview/539

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well it's nice to know they're actually searching their vaults. And you people said Paramount was lazy....:D

~Matt

12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

This news really brought a smile to my face. So stuff does exist, and possibly there's stuff from Part 2 & 3 there too. Sounds like they weren't too happy with those re-releases special feature wise either.

I think this deserves this: :banana:

13. DVD-fanatic-9

You're right and that was a very good thing to hear. If at least someone is putting some actual effort into this search, than I will be more optimistic. If they do the work, I'll put up the money and get the new editions.

Especially since I really need something new Friday the 13th wise to look forward to, I was able to see Farrands' His Name Was Jason documentary through Netflix and it was truly awful. Except for the behind the scenes photographs, it was a complete waste of my time.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'd say pretty much exactly the same thing about the Halloween: 25 Years of Terror DVD. Goddamn, what a mess of a documentary.

~Matt

15. DVD-fanatic-9

You know, I actually thought they did a decent job on that. But that's because I'm not a fan of the Halloween movie series. Just 1-2-3, and the rest can go to hell. But they actually managed to make me want to buy the newer special editions of Halloweens 4 and 5, just to have a complete set of the bonus features / panel discussions.

But now that I think about it, it is mostly fan gushings. And a lot of stuff about Michael Myers as a character. But at least he has a character. Jason Voorhees is just a guy in a hockey mask. Even with a sack on his head, he's just an interesting mystery at best.

The worst thing was hearing from idiots whose opinions weren't relevant. Sorry, Jeff Katz, but if anyone cares what you have to say, they shouldn't be helming a documentary (though, I did think his insights on the Going to Pieces documentary were more intelligent than usual for him). And who was that white-trash loser with the backwards hat, smoking, with a goatee? An 11th grade pot dealer? God, they really will hire anyone nowadays and call them movie critics!

But I actually enjoyed that whole thing with the fan-made films on the Halloween 25 years set. As opposed to the terrible, boring stuff for His Name Was Jason. Hell, the 6th movie even commented on people having a fascination with the inner character of Michael Myers. Whereas Jason Goes to Hell just saw Jason as a novelty, to sell the same sort of 4th of July burgers America does anyway with a serial killer theme. They inspire different kinds of tributes. The Halloween stuff was more creative.

And I thought P.J. Soles did a better job as narrator than Tom Savini did. It was pretty classy. And the interviews were better, more focused on the actual films, you got more information (even if it wasn't enough) from crew & cast, it was put in better historical place/form, and they had lots of great location footage. Also, I don't think they fucked with the music for the movies either. Most of them. I've rewatched it several times. And I know I won't ever feel like re-watching His Name Was Jason. It was so bad, I kept pressing the Display button on my remote hoping it was getting close to being over. So Halloween 25 has much more replay value.

Maybe the weakest link are the Panel Discussions. Because I haven't even watched most of them. I watched maybe 1 or 2 all the way through and they weren't interesting enough to hold my attention. I only really remember getting through Ellie Cornell's. That was it, I think. His Name Was Jason was like one really bad 90 minute episode of "I Love the 80's" (or any other incarnation of the series, take your pick). Informal to the point of not giving any information whatsoever. All they did was crack jokes and laugh and show clips with almost none of the original movie music and talk about Jason and his creative kills. Oh, and pimp the remake.

I actually thought the Halloween documentary was very good for its' type and the greatest sin was that it wasn't longer.

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yes, yes it does! :banana: And yeah, hopefully for the ultimate Blu Ray box set they do add more to part 2 and 3, or at least add an extra bonus disc that covers all the movies! Great news!

17. Stige

Stige Active Member

might damn well end up buying the box after all IF they find something other than fluff and rehashed interviews, but it will HAVE to be something I never thought would come such as unut footage seemless branching or the like....

got the region B blu's of 2 and 3 today in the mail so my friday the 13th tomorrow is set:)

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm kind of tired of interviews concerning the series. You can only hear Betsy Palmer's story of why she took the film, Adrienne King nervously being convinced to scream, or basically every principal crew member take credit for the idea of Jason coming out of the lake at the end so many times before it just gets stale. And like others have said, these interviews are just rehashing what has been in printed form for years. The only thing I'm really interested in at this point is deleted footage, so if they can't find anything and half of these end being basically barebones, it's not going to bother me much.

I'm telling ya folks, buy the Bracke book. Once you give that a thorough read, suddenly every new set of interviews they come out with just seem redundant and pointless.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  19. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

This is great news, about time someone enthuiastic got searching the vaults. would be great to have the cut stuff from part VI put back in, as that was in pretty good shape.

20. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

good news with the vault searching. ill stfu now and wait for stats.