New Friday the 13th Boxset!!

Discussion in 'General' started by spawningblue, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm not so sure. I think the "Paramount is Lazy" thing comes from YEARS of bare bones releases of even their most profitable titles. Take Star Trek for example... until recently we got very bare bones releases. So I think, compared to other major studios releases, it was a fair assesment. Maybe not anymore though.

And yes, Paramount needs to be smart with money. But they also need to MAKE money. If I were the head of Home Video at Paramount I would have had a blu-ray box set, with proper framing and all the bells and whistles ready to roll NOW. Horror fans are much more consistent buyers than "classics" fans. I would have bought that box set DAY ONE, as would many other on this board. Go to boxofficemojo and compare budget to profit on current and past films. Horror kills at the B.O. and it is low risk financially. Being smart with money is putting it where it is low risk and great reward. A Blu Box of F13 fits the bill and you could ride the coattails of the re-make as a giant ad campaign.

I was happy to get pt. 3 in 3-D though, even if the acting was horrendous. Oof. It was bad.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well, actually, Paramount seems to have got the framing RIGHT this time. To quote myself from another thread (only because people should see this) - I compared the original 2004 boxset release of Friday the 13th from Paramount, the 2003 R2 uncut edition of Friday the 13th and the same shot from the flashback sequences from the beginning of Friday the 13th, Part 2:

Just so people can see the differences here.

~Matt

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm hoping they add that extra stuff once a set comes out. I'm quite looking forward to it.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Great to hear someone is digging. I kept offering to do it and kept getting ignored. I bet most, if not all, of the cut stuff is there somewhere. It's just a question of how long will it take to find it. Let's all hope they start at the right edge and get lucky with early boxes to show promise, so the suits won't pull the plug on the quest too soon.

5. Yup. Writer/director Rob Hedden mentioned it in his commentary track for Part VIII (that the first cut of the film was over two 1/2 hours long) from the '04 boxset we all have. Anyone like me who has it can go back and listen to it. Basically there was more storyline, such as Sean's bestfriend who is the diver who's headed to the Olympics at a young age, ect. Some more fleshing out of the teenage spam before they meet they're end at Mr. Voorhee's usual vengeful hands. Plus he shot each death three ways: Overly gory/violent, tamer with less blood flow, and then the tamest that of course they had to eventual use and even edit down more, cause at that point, as he and many others noted, the MPAA were really just gunning for the genre film world.

Hope that helped, and yeah, hope it's Deluxe Edition will be well worth it as the rest of the first 8 films in the Paramount cannon are released later on this year ...

Exactly. It's probably there. Hell, if good ol' Don May Jr. has original negatives of Carpenter's almighty Halloween, then no doubt, the long exercised footage from the first 8 Friday's is in the Paramount vaults somewhere ...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i guess there is still some hope for part 7 to be uncut when the new edition comes out on either dvd or blu-ray box set

also anyone notice the new friday the 13th part 3D dvd deluxe edition is hard to find everywhere is sold out all i see is parts 1 and 2 deluxe editions i'm glad i got early in the morning on the release date

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  7. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

omg!! this most definatly deserves this :banana:!!! yay!!

From the Interview: BD: And when will those be in stores?

Farrands: 4-6 will be coming out in June, I’ve been told. And 7 and 8 will come out after that, and I am hearing there will be a new boxed set before the end of the year, but I don’t know if that is official yet.

so only less than a year!!! :D can't wait!!! so i will have to hold out on those single disc editions

well, they have the footage...(& for parts 6) why not clean them up and put them back in?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  8. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Yay!!! there is still hope! I hope they get footage for all the films this time.

9. vampyr789

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

We were annoying about it with MBV and look what happened, we got that movie uncut after years of people saying it will never happen. Now after hearing how there is no more footage, it seems like maybe there is, it just needed someone dedicated enough to find it. While I highly doubt this will be tons of deleted kill footage, I'm sure there will be some extra gore in the found film.

Anyways, I think it's stupid to be insulted because we hope to see all the uncut footage, at the same time I think we should all be realistic, and probably not expect fully uncut versions of all the films. It's always good to be positive, but I think at most we'll get a couple extra scenes uncut, and maybe if we're lucky one of the movies uncut, like part 6 maybe?

11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Part 8 with the overly gory/violent kill scenes would make it a better movie. Hope he has all these or knows where they are. They would make a great extra feature for the dvd, gore comparisons and how the MPAA got out of hand. But leave the hard stuff in the film unless it's a director's decision and he likes the mid-level better. As long as they are all on the disc.:D

12. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Glad i only bought the first, definitely holding out for the boxset before i buy anything else.

13. Agree'd. ;)

All of the long trimmed gore sequences/kills re-inserted would help the laster half of the series. Part VIII, as flawed as it is and as much as I only prefer the first half of the series, the first five (yeah included the black sheep, Part V), I do enjoy Renee (the always smokin' hot Jensen Daggett from Major League 3: Back to the Minors and a fine episode of Brisco County Junior), and plus the unusual/eccentric setting for the then very last instalment. It's not the super-shit film many say it is. Hell the Line New Cinema instalments were twice as worst if ya ask me.

So indeed, bring'em on mi amigos ... :D

14. vampyr789

i hope they find the alt ending to part 3, (but not put it back in..just as a special feature :D) same w/ the cheesy eye opening at the end of part 2!

u know what be even better? if they got the music video for "He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)" that would be awesome!! :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  15. vampry man, me too! Steve Miner said he took it out cause he thought the actresses make-up on the makshift alter never truely looked good, but I hope it can be found, or some stills of it. It was also said by that fine film's writer (Part 2 is my personal favorite; check out what I wrote about it on the Friday contest this month on Page 3 of the thread), Ron Kurz, said the eyes opening and the wink was always ment to be there in order to let us the audieance know that Paul was indeed dead as Giny and us suspected.

So I hope that puts to rest (finally) the rumors. It's from the Crystal Lake Memories book. John Furey, who played Paul, NEVER walked off the set. That was always just a rumor. His character was always ment to die off-screen as was written and filmed ...

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I guess we will soon find out.
    :banana:

17. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

I just hope we get Parts II and VII uncut and I'll be happy.

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I wouldn't count on that happening, but yeah that would be sweet.

19. Gotta say I would love to most see Parts 2 and V (A New Beginning) uncut. Even though I've all but given up, I'm glad that Daniel Ferrands says they're allowed access to Paramounts vaults to look, though I'm dissappointed with that "limited access" shit. What a lame-oid excuse from Cashamount. It's mainly the first 5 films I wanna see uncut, as they're my favorites. The movies after that didn't have the same Exploitation, old school first part of the '80s Slasher vibe, and as such, except for liking Parts of Part VIII (and that's also mainly cause know we all know poor Rob Heddon was fighting a losing battle since day 1, and Jensen Dagget as Renne the heroine is beyond hot and a ding ringer for fellow smokin' hottie Renee Estevez) that I sort of dig. Not's not "THE" legendary bad/inept movie many make it out to be. The next two were far worse. Plus any added gore to that film would help it a lot.

Gotta say I would almost cry is the nearly 50 seconds of add grue to Parts 2 and V respectiveally we offered up or re-inserted back into the film.

At this point what I am looking forward to most is:

* Commentary tracks by the original screen writers and directors. NOT "fan boy" fellow film makers who like me were very little kids or just starting to be born as the series hit it's mid '80s stride and didn't have involvement what-so-ever in the productions cause, natch, they weren't fuckin' there and I personally feel don't need to comment. Like us they've only met original Friday stars at the North American convention circuit and read Peter Bracke's (amazing) book and know of some general trivia, so why oh why bother to have them comment? Who wants to truely (as in how many people) hear them comment on a film project that wasn't even they'res?

* As uncut as they're ever going to be, bottom line *crosses fingers*

* All films re-mastered in HD.

* Return to the original '80s North American artwork. None of that re-designed form Parts V onward stupid, ugly bullshit the poor barebones editions got.

* No slim cases. Bigger bulky cases as I don't mind.

* Make the boxset plastic or a metal tin. NOT cheap to produce, way too easy to tear coardboard paper shit. That didn't work in '04 as my first boxset case holder got tore up to shit in a matter of weeks just by me lightly playin' with it, dammit.

* An all new, quiet (no music interuptions or scene interuptions, ect) no-holds-barred "So what do you REALLY think of you're respective instalment?" and makings of Q&A session, hosted by Mr. Peter Bracke and featuring most of the series stars that they can find. Each should be included on a second disc in the case and should at least run over the 40 minute mark and should be professionally edited. Get Michael "slipcase" Felsher's RedShirt Pictures involved. Gotta love that guy.

* All new Stereo and 5.1 professional re-mixes for those of us with solid 5.1 theater system players. The distortion on the first 5's original Mono mixes sadly ruin SO much of the first superior five entries for me. Please fix them.

* All Theatrical trailers and Teasers that are found included.

* Easter Eggs, like the amusing ones on the 2nd His Name Was Jason disc, playfully strewn on all discs'.

* All past extras re-mastered in HD and included.

If all of this happens, then I promise me, as the hardcore old school Voorhees fanatic that I am, shall NEVER, ever bitch at Cashamount (oops, I ment Paramount I guess;)) again ...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
  20. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Captain Brandon, the first three movies' SEs have better picture and 5.1 remixes of the original mono tracks. Aside from the contentious issue of there being slight cropping on the first film, it has all the bonus features it should've received in 1999 or 2004.

When Paramount does the re-releases of the last five entries to coincide with the remake's DVD/Blu-ray release, they'll probably put out a boxset collecting all eight SE versions of the Paramount-era Friday flicks.