NEW Friday the 13th TV SHOW COMING!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Buechlers_beard, Apr 24, 2014.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Horror prequels are generally a bad idea. I think the original movies showed us just enough of Jason's backstory to be effective. If we needed to know more, they would have shown us.

Same goes for Psycho and that garbage Bates Motel show. If their goal was to make Norman Bates as boring and unscary as possible, then they're doing a good job. Psycho works based on what you don't know about Norman Bates. Seeing Norman Bates getting driving lessons or auditioning for a musical with his mom is everything Hitchcock wouldn't do.

And to be honest, Sean Cunningham made a terrific slasher film with the original Friday The 13th... but he's been pretty off-base about the series ever since. Jason Goes To Hell, Jason X, etc. I don't think he really gets the whole Jason thing. Wasn't he adamantly against Jason coming back in the first place?

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

That's a big reason why I have no interest in it. Psycho IV did the same thing.

3. Jack_Burton

Jack_Burton New Member

I am all for this. I will take a weekly tv series over a new movie every 7 years any day. But will it continue off the old movies or the remake? Or will it be another reboot?

4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Can you honestly 100% blame Farrands for what happened with Halloween 6? Wasn't his script fucked with multiple times?

Plus he directed Never Sleep Again and Crystal Lake Memories which makes up for what happened with Halloween 6.

5. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

No matter what happened with Halloween 6 or who was responsible for whatever cut of that film one may prefer, he was ultimately responsible for that ridiculously embarrassing Druid cult, curse of thorn bullshit. Even though the seed of that story line was planted in part 5, it was so subtle that he should have been smart enough to avoid it. I admit, his work of Never Sleep Again and Crystal Lake Memories was outstanding, which is why he should just stick to filming documentaries and not be allowed to further the story lines of existing horror franchises.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The idea of the Thorn Cult was the best thing about that movie and was exactly the kind of thing the series needed if it was going keep Michael Myers without getting stale.

7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

:cool: I'm in.

I vote anyone in this thread who whines about this be banned. We haven't had a good banning in a while. Ban them! BAN THEM!

8. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

More info from AITH;

Yesterday brought us the exciting news that our favorite hockey mask-clad madman Jason Voorhees would be slashing his way to the small screen in a new hourlong television series based upon the characters and settings of FRIDAY THE 13th with the original film's director Sean S. Cunningham executive producing along with Randall Emmett & George Furla, Mark Canton of Atmosphere Entertainment MM, Steve B. Harris of Diversion3 Entertainment, and Ted Fox of Fox Entertainment. There wasn't much in terms of what the show would revolve around other than Deadline's report that the series “re-imagines Jason in multiple time periods” and that...
    The series is contemporary, focusing on the eclectic characters of Crystal Lake who are forced to confront the return of the killer, as new secrets about his wacky family are revealed.
    The question of what was meant by the series re-imagining 'Jason in multiple time periods' had many scratching their heads, but before you start picturing a time-traveling Jason though, it sounds like the show will follow Jason Voorhees as a kid when he was at Camp Crystal Lake and then the citizens of the town when he returns years later.
    The folks over at Fridaythe13thFranchise reached out to show co-creator Dan Farrands who was quick to dismiss any talk of a time-traveling Jason, sharing...
    "We will be exploring the origins of the Voorhees family, namely Pamela and Jason Voorhees, but doing so in flashbacks to past events that will be running concurrently with present day storylines. There is absolutely no time traveling of any kind".
    Focusing on the community that has to deal with the aftermath of Jason's killing spree while flashing back to past events in his life and exploring the Voorhees family origin could actually be a pretty promising format. Now the question is what will the writers cook up for the long-form storytelling approach to the series?
    Before anyone thinks that there isn't enough mythology behind Jason and Pamela Voorhees to mine from, we need to remember that people early on were quick to dismiss two of the best shows on television right now: A&E's "Bates Motel" (focusing on the early years of PSYCHO's Norman Bates) and NBC's "Hannibal" (focusing on the relationship between FBI profiler Will Graham and Dr. Hannibal Lecter). I think a FRIDAY THE 13th series could be a lot of fun.
    - See more at: http://m.joblo.com/aith/news/44282#sthash.XFOMIXx1.dpuf

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Indeed. In fact, I think we should all vote to doubly ban Drama Queen Die and That Evil Bastard. Just to show them we mean it.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

Sounds pretty bad, and this is coming from a guy who read the Camp Crystal Lake novels. I thought the slasher format worked quite well on TV in HARPER'S ISLAND, it would be cool to see something like that. I don't want to know more about Jason, I just want to see him killing people. Pretty simple, right?

11. UFAlien

UFAlien New Member

My original thought was definitely "ew," but that's because I had pretty much assumed time-travelling Jason from the early plot description. I think a Bates Motel ripoff with Jason might actually be okay, if not great. It can't be any worse than Jason Goes to Hell.

Of course I'm biased, being a huge fan of Bates Motel.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the town in the aftermath of the murders, but the flashback stuff still has me pretty skeptical. We don't need to see Jason's autism diagnosis, or Pamela applying for jobs.

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I do not need to know any more about Jason Vorhees. He's far better as a blank, murderous slate.

14. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Indeed. Since the success of Walking Dead and Bates Motel I don't see the trend of translating popular horror from other mediums into TV shows ending anytime soon.

15. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Exactly.

16. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

But for me if you're gonna tell more Jason stories you might aswell explore his backstory as there's nothing else to explore.

17. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

This doesn't sound good at first read. Almost like they see stuff like American Horror Story and Bates Motel and think why not Friday the 13th? But we don't need to see that Jason's mother was into Voodoo or anything crazy. Or that Jason was really alive and that Mrs. Voorhees was really seeing him when she thought she was hallucinating. This is like the backstory of the remake all over again. We don't need to know about tunnels and other crap.

I actually liked the old show from what I can remember. Probably because I thought the redhead was hot and there was a new mystery every week. It was spooky.

Hannibal is good. Bates Motel isn't. I didn't know about an upcoming Scream TV series. I still haven't seen Scream 3 or 4 yet though.

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I used to watch Friday the 13th and Freddy's Nightmares on TV when they first played, but lately (since 1998 or so) I cannot bring myself to a even try a TV series of any movie I care about, no matter what the reviews and public say about them. This sounds like a whole bunch of origin re-writing that won't make sense next to what has happened in the films, and another easy pass. Funny thing is I used to hope Jason would show up on the old series, but am so happy he didn't in retrospect. That's what made that series good, and still watchable today, is it was just a spooky mystery show with a hot redhead.

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

This is why I dismissed Fargo at first. You should really catch the show if you're a fan of the movie. It's not related to the movie at all, just has the same type of story and humor. Getting back to topic (sort of), was anyone else surprised that Robie wasn't in the Crystal Lake Memories blu-ray?

20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Hmm, you guys are really missing out on Hannibal then. Arguably on par and even better than the films.