New Godzilla trailer (Toho) *Godzilla Resurgence*

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by rxfiend, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Do you know if there is a list of U.S. theaters where it will be playing?

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I don't know if there is one yet or not. Best way to find out right now is to go to fandango.com and search your zip code.

3. Harry Warden

I looked and nothing dammit!!! My piece of shit town will never get it.

4. Harry Warden

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Anyone see Shin Godzilla yet? It's in theaters this week. My youngest son and I are heading out tonight to see it. Can't wait!

Steel76 likes this.
  6. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I saw it last night. It had it's moments, but that's about all I can say for it. How old is your son? He might end up being bored to tears. It really comes across more as a disaster procedural than a Godzilla film. Or maybe I'm just being too hard on it.....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

He's 15. He's a fan of G overall, so we'll see how it goes.

8. Harry Warden

I think Toho is desperately trying to match the success of the most recent Godzilla film in the U.S. - I think Toho was totally shocked at how well it did and now they are trying to make a more serious Godzilla film to match the results. I don't think it will work, but they are trying.

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It did amazing at the box office in Japan, so I wonder if they will continue to make them this serious?
    Even though I like dark and serious, just like the original Toho film, I hope they will bring in some cheese in the sequels, along with some new and old monsters, for Godzilla to battle with.

Harry Warden likes this.
  10. Harry Warden

I like the dark and serious Toho films as well. They were always better than the cheezy ones, though I liked them too!!

fceurich39 and Steel76 like this.
  11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Just got back from seeing "Shin Godzilla." Definitely a different movie than I was expecting. I stayed away from spoilers except seeing pics of G (which was unavoidable if you're on social media). I did like the fact it showed the frenzy that goes on via the government in an emergency crisis, but felt they could have shorten the movie by 20 minutes and been fine. It was one of the most dialogue heavy movies I've ever seen and the way it was cut, it just did not let up. Did like how G transformed throughout. Overall, I came away enjoying the movie, just not what I was expecting. I'll have a better stance on the film the second time around (which will be a home viewing when it gets released). BTW, my son did enjoy it. ;)

Darga, Steel76 and Harry Warden like this.
  12. Harry Warden

I just got back from seeing "Shin Godzilla" too. Your post is perfect. I never found the film boring, but they could have shortened it as you say. It is perhaps the strangest Godzilla film that Toho has ever released. There are some really good parts to it, but if you are not prepared to read English subtitles, and I mean a lot of subtitles, or if you hate them, you won't like this film. Godzilla also appears too statuesque at times, but overall, I enjoyed the film. Not Toho's best, but far from their worst.

fceurich39 and Steel76 like this.
  13. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Sadly, I cannot recommend this one. It wasn't just too long (like this post), or too talky, it was pointlessly so.

First, the good. Basically everything good about this film begins and ends with the effects, particularly the practical miniature effects. My memory may be off, but the city destruction and perspective shots of the monster rampaging through it are the best of any Toho film, and would stack well against any recent studio's efforts on this side of the pond. Those effects weren't just stand out in scale and realism, the creative touches and little details in their execution were evidence that considerable care was taken (one notable example was the hurling of a train, which separates into pieces on landing with parts like the wheel assembly moving as you'd individually expect them to). The monster effects were also generally solid, with a notable exception of the eyes which consistently looked lifeless (particularly with the early stage monster, to unintentionally comical effect). The CGI effects varied from effective (the duplication effects to make the armed forces look more numerous) to poor (an ending scene with gravity defying trains was, by audience reaction, literally laughable).

The problem with the film is there was just way too little of the above. The monster isn't on screen for a lot of time, and does remarkably little when it is. It cuts a relatively short rampage path through Tokyo twice, stands stationary for considerable time blasting things around it, and then actually goes dormant after shooting things up.

The bulk of the film is characters yakking. Bureaucrats yakking. Politicians yakking. Diplomats yakking. Much less frequently, scientists yakking. Usually repeating the same formula, people frozen in inaction because of bureaucracy or fear of losing face. Or yakking about that problem. It is absolutely no exaggeration to say the overwhelming majority of scenes in the film are of offices and conference rooms. Those rooms with lots (a couple times absurd numbers) of people bustling about. Those rooms empty. Those rooms with a few people just sitting around. Those rooms with people sleeping. And, of course, those rooms with people yakking. Now I love me a well executed movie that is mostly talk (The Man from Earth is one of the best science fiction films ever made), but the dialog has to be engaging, thoughtful, and make progress. Here, there is little of that, the dialog is often pointless and repetitive. And in a couple notable cases almost nonsensical (and not due to translation issues - the worst offender is the pure English dialog on board the president's plane, which was outright incoherent). There was a point the film was trying to make with that dialog, that of talk impeding action, the irony being it was the film itself most impeded by talk. In a movie pushing two hours long the point would have been made just as effectively with a good half hour (as others have noted) of it left on the editing room floor.

A few other bits stood out as painful. The gross miscast of a very poor English speaker as a United States special task force envoy with aspirations of American presidency, who spends most of her on screen time channeling the persona of a tabloid television reporter. Japanese subtitles popping up to explain the name or nature of almost every room, person, military equipment, city district, et cetera. The misfit think tank that seems to get all its revelations from only three of its members (I won't dwell on the nonsensical attempts at scientific babble, one expects such in a Godzilla film).

Overall I'd rank the film at the lower rungs of the Godzilla franchise. There's little of fault that a good edit job wouldn't solve to put it above anything from the Millennium period, but that isn't saying much. And as the film stands it doesn't even stack up well there. It is clearly inferior to anything from the Heisei period, which along with the original Godzilla still remain the template of how to make a serious tone Godzilla film work. And frankly only the worse offenders in the Showa period I'd rank clearly inferior to this most recent film.

I own most of the Godzilla films on disk, upgrading most from VHS and then to Blu as the years have gone by. I don't see myself ever purchasing this one when it comes out.

14. Harry Warden

Outstanding post KGB. The first appearance of Godzilla was comical. As you stated, I don't think they meant for it to be funny, but a las, I couldn't keep from laughing. The constant yakking was very annoying. The funniest part of all the dialogue was when one of the main actors would pause for effect..then speak loudly to prove their point. There were several moments in the film where I laughed out loud. I agree with you totally. The length of the film is a killing point. I also agree with Godzilla's eyes. He doesn't even look real in some close-up shots. It really is a strange Godzilla film. I find it funny that Toho rushed out to make this right after they saw the success of the new U.S. Godzilla, which in comparison to this, is far superior. Even after all of that, I would still recommend folks to see it, especially Godzilla fans, and let them draw their conclusions. I own every Godzilla film on DVD and what's been released on blu. I will add this to my collection when it's released. Hell, if I can have the 1998 Taco Bell lizard in my collection, I have room for this..LOL.

Steel76 likes this.
  15. Steel76

Hmmm...maybe a shorter International cut would have helped to speed things up?

And, yes, I saw a screenshot of Godzillas first form, and it looked like it would have fitted better in one of the sillier sequels from the 70:s :D

Still, can't wait to see it :)

Harry Warden likes this.
  16. Harry Warden

I would go to see it again just to see what I may have missed.

17. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Funny (pun intended) thing is, apart from the eyes that form was rather interesting looking and with a minimum suspension of belief could be taken seriously. The "Chinese New Year Parade dragon" movement could easily have been overlooked as intended effect, for something that was only partially terrestrial. And the gill effect (including spewing out waste fluid) was rather eerie. But those overly large, lifeless, motionless eyes...were like something on a still shot of a cartoon character.

But yes, it was better than Deanzilla. That's a pretty low bar to jump over.

And thinking to the future, I've no clue how they intend to do Godzilla vs. Kong if it ties in with this Godzilla. Apart from, arguably, a couple ridiculous incarnations of the Showa period this one was grossly more powerful than any previous one. Even scaled up in size, King Kong would get vaporized in seconds.

18. Steel76

Kong is fighting against the new US Godzilla.
    And yes, seeing a clip of Toho Godzilla's new tricks, he wouldn't stand a chance, unless Kong now can shoot lasers out of his eyes :D

19. Harry Warden

I doubt they will use the Godzilla from Shin-Godzilla for the new battle. I though Legendary Films already had rights to a three film deal. I am certain they will use the new version of Godzilla from the Legendary film, but yeah, if it was Toho's new Shin version, the fight would last about 10 seconds. ;)

20. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Excellent review, KGB. Spot on in all regards, in my opinion.