New Label - Cauldron Films (Sergio Martino's American Rickshaw + Abrakadabra)

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

There's a new label named Cauldron Films, soon bringing two new limited releases to Blu-ray. They have a website up, and both titles are also available for pre-order through Diabolik.

I'm not really sure who runs the label or any details about them at all, other than that the focus appears to be with Euro films... but the specs for their first two releases sound quite solid and exciting.

Also according to their website an unnamed "70s Euro Title" + "Early 80s Euro Title" will be two future releases.

The first two debut releases are:

Sergio Martino's AMERICAN RICKSHAW :

https://www.cauldron-films.com/coll.../american-rickshaw-limited-blu-ray-w-slipcase

[​IMG]

AMERICAN RICKSHAW Limited Edition Blu-ray

The way that is the way is not the ordinary way...

After a stripper tricks him into filming a sex tape, Scott Edwards (Olympic Gold Medalist Mitch Gaylord), a Miami rickshaw runner, becomes embroiled in the murder of an evangelist’s son when he inadvertently takes the wrong video tape. With the help of the stripper and an Asian witch, Edwards sets out to clear his name while avoiding the assassin dead set on retrieving the video tape.

Directed by Italian genre legend Sergio Martino (All the Colors of the Dark) and Written by Sauro Scavolini (A Man Called Blade) with a story by Roberto Leone (Santa Sangre) this late 80’s Miami-lensed Action/Horror hybrid has only ever been available on VHS in the US in a muddy full screen presentation. Featuring all of the action, nudity and bizarre practical effects you can handle, Cauldron Films is proud to present American Rickshaw (aka American Tiger / American risciò), in all of its sun drenched glory, with a brand new 2k scan sourced from the original camera negative as their inaugural release!

Starring Mitchell Gaylord, Daniel Greene (Elvira Mistress of the Dark, Me, Myself and Irene, Hands of Steel), Victoria Prouty, and Donald Pleasance (Halloween, Freakmaker)

Music by Luciano Michelini (Curb Your Enthusiasm, Silent Action, Screamers)

Directed by Sergio Martino (Torso, The Scorpion with Two Tails)

• 2K restoration from the original camera negative

• On camera interviews with director Sergio Martino and production designer Massimo Antonello Geleng

• Then and now location footage

• The Projection Booth Podcast discuss AMERICAN RICKSHAW

• Commentary with Samm Deighan & Kat Ellinger
    • Image Gallery

• Trailer

• Booklet with writing by grindhouse comics writer and Tough to Kill co-author, David Zuzelo

• Reversible cover featuring Italian artwork

• Limited Edition high quality slipcase with new artwork by Mattias Frisk

• Limited to 1000 copies

1989 • 97 minutes •English audio •English SDH subtitles • 1.66:1 • Unrated
    ABRAKADABRA :

https://www.cauldron-films.com/coll...abrakadabra-limited-blu-ray-cd-set-w-slipcase

[​IMG]

ABRAKADABRA Limited Edition Blu-ray

What the eye sees and the ear hears, the mind believes!

Thirty-Five years after his father is tragically killed during a magic trick gone wrong, Lorenzo’s own magic act is suddenly derailed by a series of gruesome magic themed murders. Struggling to prove his innocence, he begins to unravel the mystery that leads him through an intricate, bloody trail all the way back to his father’s demise.

Filled with a pulsing Goblin-esque soundtrack, 70’s atmosphere and all the earmarks of a classic Giallo, ABRAKADABRA at once pays homage to the bloody films of Dario Argento and Sergio Martino, while firmly taking its own place in the genre alongside its companion films in the Onetti Brothers’ Giallo Trilogy: FRANCESCA and SONNO PROFONDO

• CD soundtrack with music by Luciano Onetti
    • Behind the Scenes
    • Trailer
    • Italian 5.1, Italian 2.0, and English 2.0 audio options
    • English & Spanish subtitles
    • Postcards with promotional artwork
    • Limited Edition high quality slipcase with original poster art

• Limited to 1000 copies

2018 • 70 minutes •Italian & English audio •English & Spanish subtitles • Unrated

zbinks, russweiss and MorallySound like this.
  2. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

I never knew this previously but I now find it awesome that the theme music for Curb Your Enthusiasm is by a guy who composed music for Sergio Martino movies!

CPT HOOK likes this.
  3. Katatonia

Diabolik sent out an email earlier about these two releases, and shared this info about the new label:

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Seems like Jesse Nelson of DiabolikDVD is invlolved to some extent....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hor...2880381868667830/?comment_id=2880406328665384

Katatonia likes this.
  5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

American Rickshaw and Abrakadabra have finally shipped.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Two questions:

1. How did I miss this thread?
    2. Is American Rickshaw as spectacular as it looks?

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I haven't seen either film but I'm a sucker for limited editions so bought both of them.

8. Katatonia

I received a shipment notification earlier from Diabolik that my pre-order of American Rickshaw has shipped.

Abrakadabra has nice cover art, but I'm not sure it's exactly something I want. Retro-Giallos are often kinda ehhhhhh. I'll wait for some solid reviews on it.

American Rickshaw review: http://mondo-digital.com/rickshaw.html

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 5:49 AM
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I didn't realize when I first put in my order that Abrakadabra was a modern Giallo but I'm a bit of a sucker for magician themed stories so I figured I'd give it a try.

I watched Abrakadabra last night and enjoyed it. The ending was a bit of a cop out but up to that point it was entertaining enough. It does capture the look and feel of those sepia over exposed films very well and did a good job with its production designs. If the period hair was more faithful it could easily be confused for an early 80's production. The music is great however and really fits the genre. It's a little short though, not much suspense, and could have used much more detective work digging deeper into the occult occurrences only briefly touched upon. After all that's where the fun is. Speaking of fun the gore is both at times graphic and a little light. It's not much of a happy medium when there's light blood but also a few quite graphic shots only quickly shown. The blood is also a little watered down in a weird way; like Kool-Aid. Not a complaint just an odd observation.

Recommend it as a rental but not so much for purchase unless you enjoy the music enough to get the soundtrack CD; which you easily may.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020 at 10:55 PM
    Katatonia likes this.