New Line Cinema Is Officially Dead...

Discussion in 'General' started by VideoViolence, Mar 1, 2008.

  1. I got the news from IMDB:

    New Line Cinema has reached the end of the line. Time Warner announced Thursday that it will merge the studio into Warner Bros. and lay off hundreds of employees, including Co-Chairmen and -CEOs Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne. The company's plans were originally reported last month by L.A. Weekly columnist Nikki Finke but were strenuously denied at the time by a New Line spokeswoman.

    Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes indicated that the New Line banner will continue to exist but that it will no longer greenlight, market or distribute its films. "Between the cost savings and the revenue enhancements, we believe we can at least double the earnings of New Line," Bewkes told the Los Angeles Times. In an email to New Line staffers, Shaye called his departure "painful" but added that he was proud to have been a part of creating "some of the most popular and successful movies of all time." He said that he and Lynne "intend to remain actively involved in the industry in an entrepreneurial capacity" but otherwise gave no hint of their future plans.

    Does this mean every single New Line Cinema dvd currently in print is going out of print? Or does it just mean they'll continue to distribute them, but no longer make any more movies with the New Line banner??
     
  2. Wayne Manor

    Wayne Manor New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2004
    Messages:
    762
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    They fired Bob Shaye. :(
     
  3. zompirejoe

    zompirejoe Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2005
    Messages:
    942
    Likes Received:
    45
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Ocean City, Maryland
    It's sad, but maybe now Warner will be able to get MEG into production. New Line dropped the prehistoric shark movie in favor of doing RUSH HOUR 3 (it flopped). It is sad to see them go. They released some serious horror classics, among many other great films.
     
  4. JW77

    JW77 Support Halliburton

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2001
    Messages:
    2,366
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Korova Milk Bar
    Peter Jackson must be doing the happy dance right about now.
     
  5. It's me Billy

    It's me Billy New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2004
    Messages:
    590
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  6. rxfiend

    rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

    Joined:
    May 1, 2001
    Messages:
    4,593
    Likes Received:
    186
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Southern IN
    It's going to be weird seeing a NOES film with the WB logo instead of New Line.
     
  7. Bobbywoodhogan

    Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,586
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Leeds, England
    WOW, this is well strange.
     
  8. baggio

    baggio Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Messages:
    9,567
    Likes Received:
    1,256
    Trophy Points:
    113
  9. Fistfuck

    Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2002
    Messages:
    2,037
    Likes Received:
    132
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    S Philly
  10. baggio

    baggio Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Messages:
    9,567
    Likes Received:
    1,256
    Trophy Points:
    113
    I posted a link to another thread that has some info pertaining to this threads topic.



    P.S. - Let it go already, life too short.
     
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  11. wago70

    wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2001
    Messages:
    3,862
    Likes Received:
    293
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Just like that???? Hollywood just cannibalized this studio and then, that's it????
     
  12. Fistfuck

    Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2002
    Messages:
    2,037
    Likes Received:
    132
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    S Philly
    all your base
     
  13. WesReviews

    WesReviews Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2001
    Messages:
    1,582
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Pikeville, KY
    New Line's been dead for a while. I love and admire Bob Shaye for all he's done for the Nightmare films and horror in general, but truly, his recent attempts to save New Line and his job (greenlighting a NOES remake and announcing The Hobbit) come too little too late. New Line's not had a sizable hit since Wedding Crashers. Bigger studios can weather a lull in dry periods because they release more movies per year, but a smaller studio like New Line simply couldn't.

    I don't blame Bob, though. More blame should be going toward Toby Emmerich. As head of production, he greenlit obvious flops like Dumb & Dumberer, Son of the Mask, and Code Name: The Cleaner...instead of a sure-fire moneymaker like Freddy vs. Jason 2 or new Nightmare and F13 sequels. Horror is big right now, and has New Line cashed in? Not really. Three Final Destination films and two Texas Chainsaws, yes, but they could've easily made a great deal of money on furthering Freddy and Jason's existing franchises. It has been five years since Freddy vs. Jason. They could have easily done one more film in each franchise and a second crossover movie by now. And at the end of the day, the remake option for both franchises would have still existed, which again would equal that much more money. The old New Line that gave us a new Freddy film per year certainly would have done things the right way. And the old New Line was something the new New Line isn't...successful.

    At any rate, I hate to see Bob take the fall for Emmerich's boneheaded decisions, but maybe this will give Bob a chance to direct more movies. Anyone who has seen Book of Love or The Last Mimzy knows that the man does have some talent behind the camera.

    Cheers, Bob. It's been one hell of a ride.
     
  14. bigdaddyhorse

    bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2001
    Messages:
    12,509
    Likes Received:
    69
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Under a rock
    After watching Rush Hour 3 I have to say, "they deserve to die for making that piece of shit, and someone still needs to slap Brett Ratner's momma!":fuck:

    I completely agree with Wes' take just above mine, except I haven't seen anything Shaye directed yet.

    As for the NL dvds going out of print, I highly doubt that will happen. A few might, but I think those that do will only go OOP to be replaced with new and hopefully better versions by WB. Since WB distributes them anyway, most will probably stay around as is and just get a price cut or bad new cover if anything.

    The only thing that makes me sad is the boneheads who destroyed the company will be the only ones to get out of this with fat payoffs. I feel sorry for the assistants and lower level workers who will no doubt lose their jobs for the big-wig's fuck-ups, but that's just life.:(

    We can now only hope that WB's "plan to double earnings" won't include PG-13 entries in any of the sucessful R-rated horror franchises.
     
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  15. Grim

    Grim Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2002
    Messages:
    7,740
    Likes Received:
    162
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Baltimore, MD
    As much as I hate to see New Line go, it getting absorbed into WB doesn't really bother me all too much, if at all. From what I've seen, they have always treated the fans of their films good. If the new Blade Runner set was any hint at that, not to mention they released the original Friday the 13th uncut with a commentary overseas. Ever since they abandoned snappers they've been on a roll. And look at the bright side, now you've got Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, Mad Max, Batman, Super-Man, and Prince all under the same banner.
     
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  16. baggio

    baggio Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Messages:
    9,567
    Likes Received:
    1,256
    Trophy Points:
    113

    While I definitely agree that they should have made more Friday & Nightmare movies. I'm a big fan, and always want more of these series. I kinda disagree with the more money making part. These movies, while not money losers, are not exactly what you call rake in the cash films. The Freddy vs jason film did well , but only because of the combination of the two franchises. Fans waiting, dream match up, etc... It had a gimick. I think Final Destination films made more for New Line then the other 2 series did in their last few films.

    What they should have done was put out a fourth Austin Powers movie. Not saying that would have saved the company. But that series was gold. And relatively cheap to make by todays standards.

    Maybe another Blade film or a spin off.


    And then there's this, which will make a half a billion dollars. Just kidding, but it looks funny. The first one was good.

    Harold & Kumar 2: Escape from Guantanamo Bay

    Uncensored trailer:

    http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/12...d-kumar-2-escape-from-guantanamo-bay-trailer/
     
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  17. zompirejoe

    zompirejoe Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2005
    Messages:
    942
    Likes Received:
    45
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Ocean City, Maryland
    Finally we'll be able to see that long awaited Freddy vs Jason vs Leatherface vs Mad Max vs Batman vs Superman vs Prince movie ! I hear in the original screenplay Prince wins. (just kidding)

    Really, this may be good for some New Line franchises so there is a bright side.
     
  18. thrashard76

    thrashard76 Guest

    Woah! New Line was one of my favorite movie companies. RIP.
     
  19. rxfiend

    rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

    Joined:
    May 1, 2001
    Messages:
    4,593
    Likes Received:
    186
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Southern IN
    from http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117981857.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

    While Time Warner topper Jeff Bewkes made the call to fold New Line Cinema into the Warner Bros. studio, it's up to Warner prexy Jeff Robinov, with guidance from his bosses Barry Meyer and Alan Horn, to figure out how to put the pieces of the new studio paradigm together.

    Warners will release the streamlined New Line's slate throughout the world, but many questions remain unanswered. Who will stay, and who will go? What pictures will ultimately make it to the slate, and when will they be released? Who will run what?

    One Warners exec simply asked, "What is it, and how big is it?"

    This week, Robinov rolled up his sleeves and started to do his homework. On Tuesday, Robinov and his team screened the comedy sequel "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo," which is scheduled to open April 28, and they will soon see the "Sex and the City" movie, which is set to bow on May 30. New Line's next release after that is "Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D," currently slotted for July 11.

    Also on Robinov's agenda Tuesday was a preliminary meeting with Picturehouse chief Bob Berney. Studio specialty division Warner Independent Pictures and Picturehouse, which is co-owned by New Line and HBO Films, are likely to merge.

    Based in Burbank, WIP has not scored any hits since May 2006, when Warner hotshot production exec Polly Cohen replaced outgoing topper Mark Gill, who sought more autonomy from Robinov.

    While New York-based Picturehouse had a rough run at the 2007 box office, and HBO Films withdrew from the partnership after "Rocket Science" flopped, Berney is an experienced indie distributor with many hits behind him, from Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" and the sleeper comedy "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" to "Y tu mama tambien" and the Oscar-winning "Monster" and "Pan's Labyrinth." On Feb. 24, Berney's company notched two more Oscar wins, for the French-language hit "La Vie en rose."

    Whatever Robinov chooses to do, it will be up to Cohen and Berney to decide if they can live with it.

    Speculation is rife about who will run the cut-back version of New Line. In the short term, Robinov may want to hang on to New Line production prexy Emmerich, with whom he will meet this week, if only to help Robinov get a handle on what's in the development and production pipeline. But many in Hollywood expect Emmerich to exit eventually.

    Speculation on replacement candidates centers on New Line chief operating officer Richard Brener and rising Robinov acolyte Greg Silverman.

    Needless to say, producers, filmmakers, screenwriters and talent and agents connected with New Line projects are on tenterhooks as they wait to hear the fate of their films. "It's sad for everybody," said one former New Line production executive now at another studio. "It's bad for the town. It's one less buyer, 50% of the output and one less indie voice in a marketplace that doesn't have a lot of them," the exec added.

    "The guillotine has been falling for two years," said ICM literary agent Ron Bernstein, who has two projects at New Line. "It's not a surprise to anyone; they're looking to cut costs. But the reality of it is surprising. Everybody is terrified."
     
  20. WesReviews

    WesReviews Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2001
    Messages:
    1,582
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Pikeville, KY
    Damn. It'd be a shame if they didn't have enough people left to film that new Nightmare on Elm Street remake. ;)

    Seriously, though...this is truly sad. Emmerich's constant string of poor decisions have caused so many people to lose their jobs. :(
     

Share This Page