New Miramax/Dimension Blu-ray Wave from Echo Bridge

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Hell yeah you got a chocolate stick for me? :eek:

2. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

A lot of the movies mentioned here are now streaming on Netflix. They've got Hellraiser 4 - 8, FDTD 1 - 3, COTC 4 - 6, Dracula 2, Prophecy 3, Phantoms, several Crows, and some Jackie Chan. So if you're itching to see any of these but don't want to drop cash on sub-par DVDs / BDs, there's another option.

3. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Well, the double feature BDs are now @ K-mart for $9.99 each. My local store had Halloween 6 / H20, From Dusk 'Till Dawn 1 / 2, and Children of the Corn 5 / 666. God damn these things are cheap looking. I was going to buy the Halloween DF, but just looking at the back cover was a total turn-off. It looks like a low-res scan straight off of someone's home printer! Even my Mega Shark and Mega Pirahna BDs from Echo Bridge don't look like bootlegs! Yuck. I guess I will eventually return and pick it up, and maybe Hellraiser if and when it shows up there for that price.

4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Yeah the printed sleeves are really bad print quality. I don't understand how this company was able to get the rights for these films. Did no other company bid on them??

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Hellraiser: Hellworld is being released this upcoming Tuesday.

Also, I saw on the blu-ray.com forum, that someone bought the Hellraiser 4 solo blu and compared it to the double feature and stated that the solo disc had a higher bitrate!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  6. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Are the Echo Bridge Halloween 6 and 7 DVDs anamorphic? What about the Echo Bridge Blu-rays of 6, 7, and 8 - are they progressive or interlaced? I'm guessing the DVD of Halloween 7 is incorrectly framed at 1.78:1 since the BD is. What about the BD of 8 - is it framed at 1.78:1 too rather than 2.35:1?

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I found the Hellraiser double feature for $9.99 at Best Buy. I went ahead and picked it up. I'm not expecting much in terms of quality.

8. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

I have the Echo Bridge release of 6 and I can cofirm it's anamorphic and the transfer looks great. But hold on to your old non-anamorphic one if you like the blue-tint in the film.

9. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Here comes the old man grammar asshole in me...fight it.. fight it.. It's "I saw", not "I seen"! I can never take any statement that features "I seen" seriously. Nothing gets under my skin more than than the "I seen" thing and I always have comment when I see it. I don't want to come off as a dick, I'm a nice guy, really.

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I seen some really bad grammar mistakes too. :lol:

11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Well that's what happens when I post early in the morning before work.

At least it's not as bad as "your" in place of "you're" like the majority people on the 'net tend to fuck up.

:lol:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

How about "I seent it?" From the same dialect that makes "ask" - "ax".:D

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It wouldn't surprise me at all. Echo Bridge SUCKS. The Children of the Corn II/III DVD has both films shoved on a single-layered DVD (and not even maximizing that bitrate!), and I'll bet the single DVD of Children of the Corn II has a higher bit-rate as well.

I'm certainly avoiding their double feature turds like the plague from now on, whether they be Blu-ray or DVD.

14. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

HELLRAISER:BLOODLINE is selling for $5.00 at a shop near me.Can anyone here tell me from personal experience if it's worth my money to snag this Blu Ray ?

15. Katatonia

Is it at K-Mart stores Erick? I heard they had some Echo Bridge Blus for $5.

I don't know how it compares to the transfer on the double-feature Blu-ray. That one looks better than the old non-anamorphic DVD at least, but it's missing the 5.1 audio track.

A member on the Blu-ray.com forum mentioned that the bitrate on the single release is about 25mbps and it looks sharper with less compression artifacts, while the bitrate on the double-feature is around 15mbps.

16. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Echo Bridge blu rays with just one movie are $7.99. Echo Bridge blu ray double features are $9.99. Echo Bridge DVD versions are $5 a pop single movie or multipack. All of the blu rays look OK nothing spectacular that I can confirm. I have From Dusk Till Dawn single movie/Children Corn 5/6 double feature blu ray from K-mart. I wish Echo Bridge has just put Children Corn 5 on a single blu ray disc. Ow well guess I'm stuck with the Part 6 turd.

17. Erick H.

Thanks Katatonia and Dobby,the disc I saw is indeed at K-Mart and was $5.00 but it was a Blu Ray single.Perhaps this was just stamped with the wrong pricetag.Guess I'll swing by and grab it if it's still there.I never had the old DVD anyway.

18. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I lurked my local K-mart tonight. Prices I quoted are still standing and correct. Hope you find your movie at $5 Erick. My store did not have any $5 Blu so I dunno. [​IMG]

19. Erick H.

I lurked my local K-mart tonight. Prices I quoted are still standing and correct. Hope you find your movie at $5 Erick. My store did not have any $5 Blu so I dunno. [​IMG][/QUOTE)

I think it was just a screw-up,it was the only one marked that way.

20. Katatonia

Here's the technical specs between the Hellraiser: Bloodline Blu-ray (single disc) and the Hellraiser: Bloodline / Hellraiser: Inferno Blu-ray (double feature disc):

Hellraiser: Bloodline Blu-ray (single disc): 20.09gb in size

Hellraiser: Bloodline / Hellraiser: Inferno Blu-ray: 23.24gb in size – for both films on the same disc.

And actually, the main movie file sizes for the double feature disc are:

Hellraiser: Bloodline takes up 11,129,972,736 (10.4gb)
    Hellraiser: Inferno takes up 13,138,077,696 (12.2gb)

Those are the two largest file sizes on the disc. There's a few smaller files totaling under a gigabyte, but Bloodline takes up the least space overall. It is a shorter movie by about 13 minutes of course, but still...

As expected, the single disc of Hellraiser: Bloodline looks noticably sharper and shows less compression artifacting. If you don't need Hellraiser: Inferno, the single disc is the way to go.

I'd be cautious of any of their future double feature Blu-rays...