New Stephen Thrower book on Jess Franco

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Angelman, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. This is a definite buy.

3. russweiss

I pre-ordered this book right after Angelman posted this thread. Today I get an email from Amazon saying they cancelled my order because they couldn't supply. Nearly 9 months before they could determine they couldn't fill my order. WTF. :fuck:

4. Angelman

I got the same email. You can still order, I believe, from the strange attractor press website (as I did a while back after I got the feeling that Amazon wouldn't be able to stock it). Only thing is there is a sizable price difference.

5. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

great book Stephen Thrower, I preordered a year ago, and cancelled in November of last year when the release date kept moving as I was pretty sure it was never coming out. Looks like I was right, and by now I've lost all interest in the book anyhow and don't want it even if it does come out. I can read everything I want about Jess Franco online anyhow, why spend money on a book. I can look at all the pictures of Jess Franco and Lina Romay I want on a Google search too, that's essentially all his book is, oh and it'll be his opinion on the Franco films, opinions are like assholes, I like most Franco films, even Oasis of the Zombies, most people thinks it's a shit film lol, they are probably righ, I'm probably easily entertained by films, as I like most stupid horror films out there.

6. russweiss

I ended up ordering this through Amazon UK for about $80.00. There is a special edition available also but that would have cost about $140.00. Supposedly it is available now.

7. russweiss

Hello,
    I'm sorry to know that your order for the book Murderous Passions: The Delirious Cinema of Jesus Franco has been canceled. I understand how disappointing it could be for you.
    I've immediately forwarded this issue to appropriate department. They'll investigate on why this book was canceled from your order. They'll get back to you shortly.
    Cost of this book on amazon.com was $29.62. To make things right for you, I request you to write back to us to let us know how much you paid to buy the book from amazon.co.uk. We'll issue a refund for the price difference in the form of promotional credit.

The above email was sent to me by Amazon when I complained about the cancellation. I ended up paying $77.00 through Amazon UK. Quite a big difference. I'll be interested to see if they issue me any credit.

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I've had the Limited Edition pre-ordered and paid for from Strange Attractor since they announced the book (and hopefully it ships later this month), but my guess as to why the Amazon US pre-orders were cancelled is that it probably has to do with the pre-order price, which my guess ended up being WELL under what the books ended up costing to get printed and so they may have been forced to cancel those pre-orders. Also, I know from another source that Amazon US has a problem acquiring small press books from the UK close to release date, so this could also factor in.

9. Angelman

My limited (300) edition arrived today, the vinyl will ship separately. Surprised it arrived in one piece as the box was all the way open.

Short story: it looks amazing. Can't wait to dig in.

10. MorallySound

[​IMG]

Mine arrived on Wednesday after pre-ordering it whole year ago! #138/300. Can't wait to start digging into this weekend!

11. Angelman

****ANOTHER FRANCO BOOK****:
    http://www.amazon.fr/Jess-Franco-Pr...F8&qid=1448325208&sr=8-1&keywords=alain+petit

Frome a Tim Lucas synopsis:

"I've not yet seen it, but another imposing Franco book was just published - in France, in French. That book is JESS FRANCO OU LES PROSPERITÉS DU BIS by Alain Petit. Petit was the first journalist to cover Franco's work in depth, for both the French fan press and in professional magazines like VAMPIRELLA (the French edition, which unlike the US magazine had a film section), and he later appeared in some of his films, under his own name (TENDER FLESH) and as "Charlie Christian" (THE MIDNIGHT PARTY, JULIETTE). In the 1990s, he published a limited run fanzine devoted to chronicling Franco's entire career entitled THE MANACOA FILES - and this immense book updates and adds to their complete contents, which encompass complete credits and discussion of each film, interviews with Franco and a large number of his collaborators and more. Though the book is in French, it is illustrated with numerous never-before-seen photos and is accompanied with a special code that will allow the reader access to a complete English translation of the text. Published by Artus Films, the book includes a DVD of an otherwise unavailable Franco film - Operation Levres Rouges (1960), the rare French version of his second feature, Labios rojos, the first of several Franco films about the two female private detectives who run the agency known as Red Lips."

I pre-orderd, obviously.

russweiss likes this.
  12. russweiss

Thanks for the information. I also just placed an order. 720 pages. Couldn't pass it up.

Angelman likes this.
  13. MorallySound

Glad to hear they are including the English translation even if it's just a link to online text, as originally when Artus announced the re-issue/update of the Manacoa Files they were going to release it in both French and English but then they scrapped the plans for the physical English translation (likely due to costs) and I was bummed and no news surfaced on the possibility of the English text... so definitely ordering now!

14. russweiss

http://www.amazon.fr/Jess-Franco-Pr...F8&qid=1449784782&sr=8-2&keywords=jess+franco

Well the book arrived today. Over 750 pages and even though the text is French this was a great buy. Lots of pictures and poster/dvd cover reproductions. Came with a PAL DVD copy of Operation Levres Rouges which is a very early (1960) Franco film. The book shipped from Amazon in France and it arrived in perfect condition. Highly recommended.

Angelman likes this.
  15. Angelman

Hopefully mine arrives tomorrow but being in California it takes a day or so extra to get here from Europe.

16. russweiss

I live in San Diego. The book was ordered on November 26th.

17. Angelman

I think we ordered it on the same day. Damn you. Well, hopefully tomorrow.

18. MorallySound

I got mine the other day too, ordered from Amazon.fr, but it didn't come with any info on the English language e-book... and after looking at Artus' website it looks like you might have to actually purchase from them as they have two options for sale: just the book (w/DVD) and the book (w/DVD)+e-book, so I'm thinking the Amazon.fr is just the French book... so I've emailed Artus to clarify, and hopefully get the e-book separately from them if that's the case.

19. Angelman

Let me know what they say... Def want that e-book.

20. Angelman

Curiously mine isn't due to arrive until the 24th... maybe it will show up early...