New Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel Leatherface

Discussion in 'General' started by The Tall Man, Nov 2, 2014.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I just watched this tonight with a friend at his father-in-law's house (because he had DirecTV, lol) and I actually really liked it as a gritty crime thriller. I do have to agree that it doesn't really work as a Texas Chainsaw movie, at least not until the finale. It's certainly a better movie than the last one. Definitely delivers on the gore and ick factor (that sex scene was pretty fucked up).

The reviews have been a bit harsh on this one, it's grotesque bloody fun. The big flaw is simply that it needed more Leatherface and Chainsaw Massacre, which are the two biggest selling points. On it's own merits, disconnected from any franchise, it's fine.

Workshed and fceurich39 like this.
  2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it yet, but THIS is why I usually hate these kind of prequels/origin stories, exploring who they were as kids, and how they became the killer.
    Look just how Zombie fucked up Myers as a kid in the Halloween remake. We didn't need to know more than we got in the Carpenter film

Though, I didn't have a problem with Texas Chainsaw - The Beginning, since he already was the Leatherface we know and love in that one.

Workshed, fceurich39 and Kim Bruun like this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I found this so disappointing, the first and last 10 mins were enjoyable, that's it, the 2 kidnapping characters I hated, I don't understand the need for the kidnapping, the sex scene was pointless and added only to shock, the lad who was to become leatherface did not have the build for it, he was totally wrong, apart from a few nice gore bits, it was a waste of my time.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Ah shit. Disappointing to hear your thoughts but I appeeciate the input. Sounds like I'm gonna wait to catch this for free streaming a year or so from now. Not gonna waste precious October viewings lol

Myron Breck likes this.
  5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Same here. Disappointing to read these comments, but not terribly surprising.

6. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Yeah it is somewhat worth seeing just for curiosity's sake, but don't take away from your October Halloween viewing and waste a movie night that could go to a much much much more worthwhile horror movie!

7. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

I have to echo the sentiments of others, this doesn't feel like a proper Chainsaw movie. It has its moments and I can appreciate them trying to do something different, but ultimately this tries to be a little too different and it just didn't work for me.

It feels like much of the script and the actions of the characters were in service of the "twist" identity reveal at the end. I was not fooled in the slightest, once the movie established that Jed had been given a different name and the asylum staff were concealing his identity it was obvious that he wasn't the person you're supposed to expect, because why else would they introduce that plot element?

So that didn't work for me at all, and we end up with an actor who just doesn't have the imposing physicality Leatherface needs. One could argue that the original Leatherface is at least somewhat empathetic given his limited mental capacity and abusive environment, but that idea seems to be the driving force behind this movie and it was too much.

There are some pretty ridiculous moments in the film:

- After the Sawyer clan lure and murder a girl they smugly tell police that "finding a body isn't a crime". So were they the ones who called the cops? Maybe the boyfriend stumbled on the scene and that was their cover story, but why wouldn't they just kill him too? I was confused.

- The kidnapping plot doesn't make sense at all, the characters have already fled the asylum and don't need a hostage. The two ringleaders commit murder with reckless abandon and yet they keep their hostages alive because of some weird pact to stick together.

- Three characters elude police dogs by hiding inside a single deer carcass. Amazingly dumb.

I would put this one close to Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation as the worst in the series. All that being said, it is serviceable enough as a one-time watch.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    chancetx, Workshed and hots4 like this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

NEW TRAILER:

Nailwraps and fceurich39 like this.
  10. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I was afraid that this one would get panned, and from the majority of reviews bere, it sounds like it has. It's kind of disappointing when a movie like this ends up being a missed opportunity. Having said that, I'm beginning to stay away from origin stories as a whole. I prefer the mystery of not knowing why someone like Leatherface exists. I prefer that he just "is." Same with all the other franchise killers, though the creation of Jason Voorhees (and Freddy) was pretty much explained from the jump.

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Maybe watch the movie. Who knows, you might form a different opinion? You may like it, love it, or hate it.

rxfiend likes this.
  12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ok, I saw it. I really enjoyed it much better than I thought. Was originally against this film when I initially heard about it, but slowly changed after I saw the trailers. Just about everything in this entry was enjoyable for me. Liked the directing, acting, the cinematography, the story, the gore/violence. I dug the story, it moved at a brisk pace(clocking in around 1:30) was never boring. On the violence, it was top notch. I know this was probably not the reason, but my initial gut on why this was On Demand was because of the rating. Well it is indeed rated R I understand, but let me tell you this was a HARD R. Seriously, I don't know how this could be played in the theaters as R. Imho, this was very violent and angry violence/gore to the likes I haven't seen in a long time as Rated R.

The entire scene of how Leatherface became Leatherface was superb.
    specifically talking about the injury, post injury, and creation of the face mending by the mother. The speech hindering, drooling, everything.
    I challenge any other writer/director to come up with a better idea. It was excellent, and it made sense to what we already know from prior films about this weird character. The TCM films always had a bunch of wackos in every film, this was no different. Really don't know what people wanted to see that this film didn't deliver imho.

Another thing I like to point out, is that I wish I DID NOT know about some of the "details" about the film from day one. Like who the actors were. It would have made the film reveal much better. Even though I kept saying, it's gotta be coming soon, there was still hope the initial info was wrong that I heard months & months ago. But it wasn't wrong.
    the big guy/kid was really good too. It would have been an obvious choice & made total sense. As for the other guy with the nurse, the sawyer family always have several lunatics in the clan. So it would have made sense to be another family member

Having only seen Inside, for my money Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo are 2 - 0. At the ending of the film, I was like dammit, I want to see more! Whens the next entry coming out? Not going to compare all the films, they each stand on their own for each era they came out. And all have really great qualities about them. But, dam did these guys really make you wish they filmed every sequel.

In a fantasy world, I would have these two guys direct an installment of Friday the 13th with Kane Hodder as Jason. It would probably wind up being the most vicious Friday to date. Pure brutality.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    fceurich39 likes this.
  13. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Loved this movie and will probably rewatch it many more times. The script confronted the hard task of taking a very outre character and deconstructing him back to a real life story arc and did a great job with it. Kudos for referencing some of the same shots as Hooper's original. As well as Hooper the filmmakers also brought a whole of Malick's Badlands into their visual style as well. Thought the other Leatherface origination movie was awful compared to this one as this film had a script that fought for plausibility rather than going straight for the guignol as the previous film did.

14. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I'm definitely leaning more towards TheWZA and Zombies Don't Run reviews above. It wasn't the worst Chainsaw I've seen (Next Generation still wins that one) but it wasn't scary and didn't feel like a Chainsaw movie at all. It would actually make a fun party game to name all the other, better movies this one steals from.

It's primarily a blatant Rob Zombie ripoff but without any of the intensity or nihilism Zombie brings to his films. At least the trashy blonde female killer is a better actress than Sheri Moon Zombie. The Sawyer clan aspect feels tacked on, the final girl is dull and the "twist" Leatherface character is obvious. I was hoping for a second twist, where the family would sacrifice their kid who can't stomach killing and adopt the big, crazy Bud as their new son who would become Leatherface. Wouldn't have been any worse than what we got.

On the plus side, the cinematography is beautiful, the acting is decent and the gore scenes don't disappoint.

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Blu ray up for sale on Amazon $21.99

[​IMG]

Release date. December 19, 2017 (seems like a long way away, should be out next week instead imo)

- Behind the Mask: the Making of LEATHERFACE

- Six deleted scenes

fceurich39 likes this.
  16. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it yet, but I will give it a try tonight.

17. HATED IT.

I'm an extremely positive person when it comes to film and I've been criticized for it. But this didn't feel like a TCM film most of the time. It was a wannabe Natural Born Killers/Devil's Rejects knock off with TCM elements shoe horned in.

The twist with Leatherface was beyond pathetic too and served no purpose other than they needed a twist. No we just needed a solid Leatherface origin story and this wasn't it.

The gore was pretty good tho but meh. Unless I can get this for free I won't be adding it to my collection.

hots4, wago70 and Zombie Dude like this.
  18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm surprised anyone likes this as a film that's meant to be part of the Texas Chainsaw franchise. Also for a movie called Leatherface we don't get much of him as that character.

19. I have a friend who loved it and that's OK with me. It kills me to dislike this but oh well.

20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well I do think that it's better than Next Generation and Chainsaw 3D so it could have been worse.