New Zatoichi Movie

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by BloodMan, Jan 28, 2004.

1. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I heard about this project a while back and completely forgot about it. I still haven't seen all the other Zatoichi movies, I'd like to.

3. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

cant wait, it looks so cool. whats up with the dance sequences tho?

4. BloodMan

I don't know whats up with the dance sequences. :)
    The old Zatoichi movies come on every Sunday on IFC on the satellite dish here. Those movies are really great! The one last week was pretty bloody actually. I didn't catch the opening but it was damn cool. The one sequence that stood out was when Zatoichi was surrounded by like 6 guys with swords, in a lake, he slowly sinks under and one by one, the baddies sink under too, dead. :) I love stuff like this.

Nick

5. aoiookami

I'd love to start picking up the Zatoichi movies, but there are so many of them! There are like 7 or 8 dvds? I wish they would release a collected edition or something so my wallet dosent get raped

6. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw the new Zatoichi film at the Toronto Film Festival. I thought it was really good.

7. BloodMan

Aren't there like 26 Zatoichi Movies? Zatoichi 26 was released in 1989... I know that. :) Supposed to be the most violent one too. Shogun Assassin style!

Nick

8. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

There are quite a few. I have seen bits and pieces of the older ones but that is just about it. I really know nothing about them except the new one is really entertaining.

9. gloomy grrl

gloomy grrl Guest

There was an article on the AINTITCOOL website where he (Takeshi) talked about the dancing sequence at the Roterdam Film festival. I've just copied it... 'cause I hate paraphasing!

Apparently he was very drunk at the time of this Q & A... that would have been fun to see! :D

10. BloodMan

Saw one of the best old Zatoichi movies today on IFC. In this one, Zatoichi had to take a baby back to its father because the mother was accidently killed. Very good and the first time I've seen the character shed tears. :)

Nick

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I really dig Zatoichi, but it's kind of hard to see another actor playing the role. It's like Christopher Reeves as Superman, you just can't really picture the character any other way.

But yes, I'll be buying it as soon as I can. :D

12. Trucci

Trucci Guest

Takeshi Kitano is so awesome.

13. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Yeah he is awesome. I once interviewed him in Venice Film Festival for DOLLS. What a guy...

14. aoiookami

Just picked up the DVD last night in china town. I just want to say I'm extremely dissapointed in this movie. The plot is extremely generic and executed in a predictable and bland way. Typical 'bad guy' taking over a small village, while Zato and some ppl that have been done wrong fight back.

The biggest gripe I had with this was the STUPID CGI. Okay, so 30 years ago in the old Zato movies they can pull off beautiful fight scenes with swords, but in today's day in age they have to resort to using horribly done CGI swords? Whenever the fights pick up, the blades are replaced with easily noticeable, 'flickering' CGI swords, which are most noticeable when a "dagger" is thrown. These nicely accompany the CGI blood which looks even worse than the CGI blood in BR. Limbs that get cut off are also CGI. At one point, Zato opens his eyes and, you guessed it, CGI eyes. What the hell?? I guess the concept of contact lenses was too far out for Kitano, so lets CGI his eyeballs.

IMO stay away from this movie, invest on the old (and more real) Zatoichi movies. They are far more entertaining, realistic and have more enjoyable plots, without CGI swords, blood and eyeballs. I just got Zatoichi and the Fire Festival. There is a sword fight in a bathhouse that is far more entertaining and well executed than all of the fights in the new movie put together, and with -gasp- non CGI swords

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  15. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

I couldnt disagree more, i thought it was fuckin class! Takeshi`s films are always unique and very hypnotic...the CGI was pretty shoddy though i must admit, the dance scenes and everything were truly astounding. I Loved it A++++

16. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

This is one of the most anticipated films for me. I doubt even shitty CGI could fuck it up. A dance number makes complete sense in an odd sort of way, especially considering Kitano.

17. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I enjoyed this film very much. The last frame of the film of is classic.

18. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

I think the CGI style kinda adds to the hypnotic feel of the movie(it was a comic book originally?), it didnt bother me at all i was too busy being swept away by every other aspect of the movie....DONT MISS IT if your a Takeshi fan.

19. aoiookami

I think I was so dissapointed with it because I've seen the old movies, which dont use excess CGI, and are way more entertaining. I was dissapointed because I've liked all of Kitano's work up until this point, even the under rated 'boiling point'

mcchrist, the dance number is pretty cool, even though it also uses CGI :confused:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
  20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

This is getting a fairly decent theatrical release, starting in August I believe.

So if you have a theater that is willing to show foreign movies (I think Landmark will be showing it), you may want to hold off on buying a DVD just yet.