News of 4K Restoration of Suspiria

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Harry Warden, Nov 4, 2016.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow, UHD was a dream within a dream for me. With the Dawn of the Dead release perhaps Synapse is seeing it more as a possibility. Especially since the format itself is region free so they can sell where ever with zero difficulty.

But this looks like they're a lot further behind than even my rose tinted view. Extras aren't even being developed yet? They've got Red Shirt doing the interviews and such. It's pretty much a fire and forget for Synapse! I'm guessing they're so concerned about cost overruns that they don't even what to commit to the early costs of any extras. :eek:

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. Dave

Dave Pimp

The delays are good in a way. It just increases the chances of a 4k release. I don't have 4k and no intentions of getting it, but still a 4k is not a bad thing. Let's hope this at least makes 2018.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I don't have 4K yet either but with (seemingly) most TV's coming out in that format now I will certainly be going there eventually. Had the new PS4 offered 4K like the Xbox I would have bought one already.

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The TLEFilms FRPS 4K restoration was recently released to Blu-Ray in Italy via Eagle Pictures: https://www.amazon.it/Suspiria-Blu-ray/dp/B01N0R7VDW

caps-a-holic screencap comparisons: http://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=2036

Judging by the caps, this is the first truly worthwhile Blu-Ray release of Suspiria, at least visually.

It should also be released in Germany by '84 Entertainment.

Some comments about the new release(s) and restoration(s):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=13314076#post13314076

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=13273815#post13273815

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=13276125#post13276125

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=13278661#post13278661

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=13279199#post13279199

Workshed likes this.
  5. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Jesus Christ, that is a lot to take in. Sounds like the TLEF project was to 'preserve' the film as it was originally presented, but then there is this, which has me confused:

:confused:

6. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

What I gather from that quote is the that TLEF has seen some or all of a new transfer of their restored print. To some degree, this person from TLEF feels that a better version could still be struck from the restoration they did.

7. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Just seems like a weird way to qualify your restorative work:

"Is the quality REALLY bad? No."

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

In that quote they weren't talking about the restoration in general but the Italian Blu-ray specifically. Basically they had no input on the final Italian Blu-ray. But they do have input on the German Blu-ray. So wait for the German release, if not the Synapse release.

Not that anyone cares. People just seem to want to be able to say they own Suspiria on Blu-ray. If someone sold a magic marker that people could just write "Blu-ray" on discs and magically make it so in their minds they'd be sated with that.

9. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

since a long time i've only ever seen Suspiria on DVD, the Dutch one in fact

i actually intend to buy a Blu-Ray of this film

is the Italian disc good quality? would one wait for another one? it's quite cheap too, with English subs (and audio)

i would certainly not pay above 30€ or something

so much information!

10. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Those caps look pretty nice but I'm sure that since I already bought this the next 2 releases will be better. Still though, I think I'll be happy enough by the looks of this.

11. roderick

roderick New Member

i just received my copy today.i skimmed through it briefly.my first impressions from what i have seen and heard so far are quite positive.i intend to watch it this weekend and will report back with specifics if anyone is interested.

Angelman, russweiss and Zombie Dude like this.
  12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

'84 Entertainment Release Specs

Original German:

[​IMG][​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/84enter/posts/1485040591530131

Expect this to be pricey. They did a similar release for Don't Torture a Duckling in 2015 and that was priced at over €110.00 / $115.00. They rereleased the film about 6 months later in a variety of Mediabooks, and those are available for about 35 - 50% the price of the Leatherbook.

Nailwraps likes this.
  13. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

i'm simply not going to pay that amount of money for 1 single film, no matter how elaborate the release

14. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Yep, that looks really, really nice but I bitch about things like the price of Synapse steelbooks so this is definitely not for me. Though I'd be just as willing to buy such a release it would be cool if there was a release of Inferno with similar packaging made to look like the the book at the beginning of the movie.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Synapse has posted comparisons between the Italian Blu-ray and their upcoming restoration: http://synapse-films.com/news/suspiria-comparison-pictures/

This shot seems to be the most damning in my eyes: http://synapse-films.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Suspiria_2.jpg

Now the color intent is pretty clear here, a blue light (probably representing a window) is completely negated by the color changes in the Italian release.

But the key part to look at is the bottom corner of her dress. It almost looks like a bad chemical reaction on the Italian releases (invoking the 2001 "Star Gate" sequence when they depict alien worlds [made with wonky chemical baths]). Basically they didn't even compensate enough in the Italian release, and what we see looks more like by product rather than direct intent. Digital tomfoolery pushed to its max.

Workshed, Zombie Dude and Kim Bruun like this.
  16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well I thought this new release looked a little dark and with those screens from Synapse's release it looks like night and day difference. Loving Synapse's colours on their release which are just beautifully vibrant. This can't come soon enough.

Steel76 likes this.
  17. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Really. Huge difference to my eyes. The Italian blu looks far too subdued and dark, while Synapse's version has really solid colors without looking overly-bright. Set #8 is a good example of how carefully-restored the US version seems to be: the blood on the fingers curling around the door looks more like dirt in the still from the Italian edition.

I really want to see how Synapse's looks in motion!

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

101 minutes? Is that a misprint? I thought the uncut version, even at the slower NTSC speed, is 98 minutes.

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That's what I'm saying, the Synapse version looks terrific ;)

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

But how will the soundtrack be? I haven't been following this project at all but I well remember the complaints people had with the audio of the 2000 era Anchor Bay DVD.