News of 4K Restoration of Suspiria

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Harry Warden, Nov 4, 2016.

1. sinister

sinister Member

2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

It's been speculated that this should be a slight improvement over the Italian disc, which looks great, but with no comparison available beforehand and the Synapse release coming ...eventually it seems like a risky purchase at a price that is hard to justify for any 1 film. That said I think the packaging for this one looks awesome, I got my tax return the other week and almost pre-ordered it after a few beers. :]

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah, I have a pretty hard rule that if it's cool and Suspiria I'll buy it, but I stopped myself on this German release. Synapse is coming and it's almost certain to be all that I really need. I probably wouldn't even unwrap the red book anyways.

BTW this was posted over on Blu-ray.com and will perhaps put some things in perspective. It's Dario Argento saying that the German release in 2014 will "finally" present Suspiria the way he's always wanted it to be seen:

I believe this was regarding the obviously blown out transfer they tweaked as best they could. And he says it in English too so makes it harder to debate. :D Basically everyone and their dog involved in a project will say that it's exactly as it should be. They say that because they want to be able to eat their next meal. I wouldn't be surprised if Argento hadn't even see the transfer he was praising.

But then even the guy who did the latest 4k restoration says the Italian release isn't transferred properly and you have people on The Internet calling it the perfect release. Truthfully people just want something now and couldn't care less if it's quality or not. So I don't blame distributors for keeping tight lips until the final reveal.

f.ramses, Zombie Dude and zbinks like this.
  4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Discussion regarding Suspiria begins at 1:16:22.

...and again at 2:07:23.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    othervoice1, X-human and Steel76 like this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

At around 1:25:00 he mentions that they got the original 4 channel surround track!
    This is the first time on any home video format, that we'll get the original mix :)

Glad we also got an explanation for why it's taking so long, but I'm even more excited now, after hearing about the work that has been done. And he confirms that it will be released this year, for the 40th anniversary. Guessing it will come out around fall.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    X-human and othervoice1 like this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Awesome. Answers a lot of questions and it sounds like Synapse is doing everything I could ever hope for with this release. Original 4-track sound mixes confirmed! While distributors always focus on the visuals I really don't think any other company would have done what Synapse has to get this original sound. Not even Criterion or Arrow. So this detail is what would make this release definitive for me.

Also, according to Don May, the DP Luciano Tovoli called the recent Italian 4k restoration an "abortion." :cool: I don't think that's hyperbole either. The Italian disc, at least, is obviously way off the mark in a lot of spots. 'Nuff said.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. zbinks

Nailwraps and Steel76 like this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Can't wait for this to come out. Dreading to find out what the price will be though.

Myron Breck, Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yup, I'm sure it will be pricey, but probably worth it and warranted in this case.

I haven't been swayed by the recent imports... I'm just eagerly and patiently awaiting this one. I still have faith that it'll blow all else away. And if it isn't, I'm mailing Don some bloody red diapers! :D

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This is one of the few cases where I really don't care about the price of a release. It's clear that money has been spent to present this film in the best possible form. I'll gladly help subsidize that level of commitment.

Angelman and othervoice1 like this.
  11. zbinks

upload_2017-5-20_19-45-20.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/BURwPa6hJc9/?hl=en

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Just waiting for this release as it sounds definitive. Really looking forward to being able to watch it!

Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  13. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I caught that, too. The Italian restoration, from what little I have seen, comes across as way too subdued and heavily green.

X-human and Zombie Dude like this.
  14. zbinks

Prepare yourselves.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUroLFOB7lp/?taken-by=donmayjr&hl=en

Nailwraps, Katatonia, Steel76 and 3 others like this.
  15. zbinks

More quotes:

My guess would be the "interesting news to come soon" will be a limited theatrical rerelease of some sort in the US, but I think we can safely assume the wait for Synapse's Blu-Ray won't last beyond the end of the year.

Nailwraps and Zombie Dude like this.
  16. sinister

sinister Member

I've ordered the German box set but sounds like I'll be getting the Synapse version as well. I must have about 7 or 8 versions of Suspiria already across VHS, LD, DVD and BD, so I guess one (or two) more won't hurt!

Steel76 and Workshed like this.
  17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

While I'm grateful for the hard work they're putting into this release (and I'm sure it's gonna be amazing), but to be honest, it's getting a little annoying how he keeps teasing with tidbits of info and screenshots here and there but at the same time he keeps saying "still no release date."

Well then get back to us when you have one.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. sinister

sinister Member

German boxed set release has been delayed until first week in July now.

19. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Synapse is always top notch in the presentation of their releases. I have no doubt Suspiria will be worth the wait. I will most certainly buy this even if it is in the $50 range. That said, I can wait as long as it takes as I actually enjoy Tenebre and Phenomena more than Suspiria.

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So.... You think the any of the releases will have this? :cool: Guess we'll have to wait for an ultimate release set. :p

- The Chicago Cinema Society

"The Chicago Cinema Society is excited to announce that we have discovered an uncut Italian 35mm print of Suspiria. The print was rescued from an Italian cinema that had closed down and the print had gone untouched in their storage area since 1977/78. After a brief inspection to assess the overall condition of the print, it appears as if it had only been screened a handful of times at most. The print is in excellent physical condition with no substantial wear, uncut heads and tails, minimal fading and no vinegar syndrome. Once we had the print in our film archive, we then made a very careful inspection to determine which version of Suspiria we had obtained. We were stunned to find that the print is a completely uncut 6 reel print with a run time of 98 minutes in Italian language. We then privately screened the print and recorded excerpts, which can be found on our YouTube channel, to give people a better sense of what the print actually looks like. Here a clip which includes one of the more notorious cut scenes (pun intended) that does not exist in 1977 US release prints”

Further:

"We reached out to Don May at Synapse Films to see if they would be in need of our print for restoration purposes. He noted to us that they have all of the film elements that they need for their upcoming digital restoration. We then shared information on our discovery with a number of film programmers across the country, many of whom had become very interested in screening the print. Since preservation elements for Suspiria exist, we arranged a tour for our print to start late this summer. More venues have reached out to us with interest in screening our print so follow Chicago Cinema Society on Facebook and check in at our website for updates and the additions of any other screening dates. Do not miss out on this opportunity to see Suspiria in the way that it was intended to be seen!"

http://chicagocinemasociety.org/

The cut scene that they were talking about:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Workshed likes this.