News of 4K Restoration of Suspiria

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Harry Warden, Nov 4, 2016.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

No, since this print would have been struck from the same source Synapse is using for their restoration. There is nothing additional between it and the original Italian negative. The only difference is that previous US 35mm prints were the 92-minute cut version of the film.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ok, but if it's the same then why didn't the Chicago Cinema Society just say that when they talked to Synapse? Plus like you stated it's different length. And even if it is the same, according to them it's in pristine condition. Hardly ever used.

3. MorallySound

I know the guy who's print it is and he's had it for a few months, and Synapse were already well into their restoration when he purchased it. Don May Jr. has addressed that response to being asked by CCS here via Facebook:

"There seems to be some confusion regarding the Italian-language uncut print of SUSPIRIA that the Chicago Film Society has recently acquired and will be screening. We've seen posts online from people who seem to believe this print has material that will not be included in our upcoming release of SUSPIRIA.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Our release of SUSPIRIA will be uncut, scanned from the original 35mm camera negative in Italy, which was also used to make this ne...wly-discovered vintage print. What makes the Chicago print special is that 20th Century Fox controls the U.S. theatrical rights to SUSPIRIA, and as such, when a 35mm print of the film is screened in the U.S., it's usually their cut version which runs 92-minutes. But rest assured, the upcoming Synapse release of SUSPIRIA is uncut and there is no "new footage" unique to the 35mm print from the Chicago Film Society."

Besides, being a print struck from the negative it would be pointless to use since it'd be a generation down already in quality from the negative itself. They are just trying to drum up publicity for their print so they can book more screenings.

othervoice1, Workshed and Zombie Dude like this.
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

True or Don May Jr. is just trying to cover for his up coming release that is basically completed. They invested enough time to go through the whole process again. You can look at this situation both ways.

Plus the confusion (for me) is that they have a 98 minutes in Italian language print. Why is Don talking about 92 minutes? And he's not mentioning anything about the language.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

They did, when they said:
    Now. From my understanding/memory. An original US theatrical print would be a find, as it would contain the full footage of the beating SUSPIRIA heart title screen. Which we only now have example of from their truncated use in the ads/trailers: (much like the man turning inside out in Screamers, the footage was not kept track of)
    [​IMG]

While Don has made a lot of comments of working closely with Fox regarding materials, I don't know if that has been confirm or not. Would be cool. It's the one alternative version I would like to see done through branching.

Workshed and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Saying that "have all of the film elements that they need for their upcoming digital restoration" is not saying they have the exact same print from the negative as you have. They would have just stated that clearly to them. Instead they are going with what they have and are fine with it.

Besides, I'm not arguing what's cut or not. I really don't care. Bottom line, is they found an uncut print in excellent condition and are showing it on the big screen. We should be embracing this. Nothing Synapse or that German company can do to replicate that(big screen theater viewing) exactly on our small screens. And there's so far, no proof that the "negative" used is in better shape than the recently found print. What a negative can't get damaged? I don't care if there are 20 prints. They all could be in different shape and all could better than a negative. Is the original negative better, most cases yes. But until we know, at this point, we don't, imho I think this is a fair statement to conclude.

7. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The 98 minute print, in and of itself, is not unusual. As far as I'm aware, every major home video release (VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray) since at least the late 90's or so has been sourced from the 98 minute cut of the film. It's just not a print that would typically be found in the United States.

The US Fox cut shows up periodically on cable in HD. I want to say I saw it on IFC within the last couple of years.

8. MorallySound

The 92-minutes refers to the length of the all the original US theatrical prints when the film was shown in America during its original runs, which was a cut version of the movie. The film was never released in it's full-length Italian version theatrically for US distribution. The "new" print is simply an Italian theatrical print (hence why it's Italian language with NO subtitles if you watched the clips from it on the previous page) purchased by an American film collector that happens to be in great shape given the age of the print who is hyping it up and booking it out for US theatrical screenings to conincide with it's 40th anniversary.

Zombie Dude and baggio like this.
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I didn't even think about the fact that it would be in Italian without subtitles.

It also looks like it doesn't have the original surround sound based on the shots that include the audio track (and sprocket holes). Just the stereo tracks.

Since Don hinted at their own theatrical options... I'd rather see their 4k restoration in surround.

The cut may, but those specific titles don't. Do you know if my memory is correct on the US titles? Or was that just in the trailers? I've done a few quick web searches but not finding much. Kinda hard to give the exact search terms for 'em.

10. zbinks

I could be mistaken, but I distinctly remember seeing the breathing title card when it aired.

Edit: Here's another account from a ways back (2004):

http://z8.invisionfree.com/MHVF/ar/t88.htm

X-human likes this.
  11. zbinks

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes.

There are a crazy few of us who would enjoy watching an authentic film print. The only reason why I would go (and easily could at the Music Box in Chicago) is to see a run of the mill print of Suspiria circa. 1977 just as the vast majority of the audiences at the time did. For me that would be cool. It would be a little yellow. A little blown out. Only in stereo a probably little over driven. But it's all part of the experience. One of the reasons I enjoy warts and all public domain films.

If on the other hand you're a modern minded viewer, you're not seeing Suspiria in its best possible light. Best possible presentation. I'd expect Synapse to come through with that (this November is my bet).

13. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Coming to the Charles in Baltimore in January. YES!

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So the blu's not coming till next year then?

16. MorallySound

Could still be this year... or next. No release date has been announced yet since they are still working on the special features.

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for this year but I've been waiting so long for this I guess it doesn't matter much as long as it's not ten years from now lol.

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It'll more than likely get released this year. It's the 40th anniversary. Just because it's screening somewhere in January doesn't necessarily mean the blu-ray will be released after that.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. sinister

sinister Active Member

Unboxing (in German) of the new German release:

No shipping confirmation on the one I ordered on ebay yet, I think I'll send them a mail.

20. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Here's a screenshot comparison between the Italian BD and the new German set:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/215458/picture:0

Maybe it's just me or my screen but these look pretty much identical, I had to look very closely to see that the image was actually changing when I moved my mouse over it and thought the site was broken at first.